Thinking about some all-terrains - Page 3 - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


Wheels & Tires Semi-Tech General discussion of wheels and tires for the Ford Ranger.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #51  
Old 10-15-2008
jaycheetwood's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ogden, Utah
Posts: 2,218
Hmm I am not sure there..

and yes i went and looked 15x 7 haha..
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 10-15-2008
Level III Supporter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: usa
Posts: 24,936
BFG A/T 32x11.5x15 on stock 15x7 alcoa's NO t-bar crank NO rubbing...











Name:  UpNorth082308019.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  157.4 KB
Name:  UpNorth082308030.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  142.1 KB
Name:  UpNorth082308037.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  148.3 KB
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 10-15-2008
jaycheetwood's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ogden, Utah
Posts: 2,218
those are 32's? haha guess 31's and 32' would look alike haha.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 10-15-2008
Level III Supporter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: usa
Posts: 24,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycheetwood View Post
those are 32's? haha guess 31's and 32' would look alike haha.
no there 235x75x16 wtf.. seriously why would i post something there not..

if you pulled my truck up to yours with stock 31x10.5x15 bfg a/t you would have seen a difference.. it does fill up the wheel well alot better
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 10-15-2008
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Upstate,NY
Posts: 2,598
The OP was originally looking for a tire size for snow .
Keep in mind that for snow , WIDER is NOT better.
A wide tire is good for staying on top of whatever terrain you're driving over.
But for snow you need a narrow tire to cut through to the pavement.
IE: If you're already running P245/75rxx and want a taller stance go to a P245/80 or P245/85 .
The tread width will be 245mm which is fine for snow but the sidewalls will be taller.

Just remember:
snow = narrow footprint
mud = wide footprint.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 10-15-2008
rdoebel's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Clyde, Ohio
Posts: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRtech View Post
The OP was originally looking for a tire size for snow .
Keep in mind that for snow , WIDER is NOT better.
A wide tire is good for staying on top of whatever terrain you're driving over.
But for snow you need a narrow tire to cut through to the pavement.
IE: If you're already running P245/75rxx and want a taller stance go to a P245/80 or P245/85 .
The tread width will be 245mm which is fine for snow but the sidewalls will be taller.

Just remember:
snow = narrow footprint
mud = wide footprint.
I want a taller stance but I also want something aggressive looking while have good ratings in the snow. That's why I want the ta kos. All I want to know is what the biggest I can fit without having to body lift. Cranking the torsion bars will be fine because it's just a dang bolt to turn, I just want to know size was so that it will fit on my rim.

All this is getting out of hand.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 10-15-2008
roxbury29's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Crown Point, INDIANA
Posts: 50
I have BFG A/T KO- 31x10.5x15 stock tires

good all-around - I have been looking into Goodyear Silen Armor -

seem to look a little more aggressive and less expensive A/T tire w/ a 70K warranty
discounttire.com
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 10-16-2008
optikal illushun's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Coal Region, MTC to be exact...heart of the coal region.
Posts: 2,232
the 285/75/16s dont rub on stock (16x7) or aftermarket wheels (16x8) provided u get the same or close to the same backspacing.

also, being th 285/75 is only around 11.5" wide it wont rub. a 33x12.50 will rub due to the extra width (BTDT). we ran one set of 285/75/16s on my gals ranger stock and it didnt rub, i just put on a second set and they still dont rub. its usually not the height but the width and that extra inch is what causes problems.

keep in mind also that tires with agressive side walls may rub in a narrower size due to the projection of the lugs. but with an all terrain i dont think that is an issue.

and one last thing, that whole skinny tire for snow wide tire for mud doesnt always apply. of course u dont want a 15.50 for snow but a 11.50 or even 12.50 wont hurt and probably provide more stability and a little extra contact patch. a skinny tire will dig down and bury the vehicle...but then u need to take into consideration vehicle weight. anyway enough rambling, a 285/75/16 wont hurt u in the snow or mud...i say go for it.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 10-16-2008
rdoebel's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Clyde, Ohio
Posts: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by optikal illushun View Post
the 285/75/16s dont rub on stock (16x7) or aftermarket wheels (16x8) provided u get the same or close to the same backspacing.

also, being th 285/75 is only around 11.5" wide it wont rub. a 33x12.50 will rub due to the extra width (BTDT). we ran one set of 285/75/16s on my gals ranger stock and it didnt rub, i just put on a second set and they still dont rub. its usually not the height but the width and that extra inch is what causes problems.

keep in mind also that tires with agressive side walls may rub in a narrower size due to the projection of the lugs. but with an all terrain i dont think that is an issue.

and one last thing, that whole skinny tire for snow wide tire for mud doesnt always apply. of course u dont want a 15.50 for snow but a 11.50 or even 12.50 wont hurt and probably provide more stability and a little extra contact patch. a skinny tire will dig down and bury the vehicle...but then u need to take into consideration vehicle weight. anyway enough rambling, a 285/75/16 wont hurt u in the snow or mud...i say go for it.
Alright. I just have to find out if they make all-terrains for my rim width! Or I have to actually go ****ing out what my rim width is.

Alright so I checked the door-jam and it said I have 16x7s. All-terrains are only for 7.5+ :(

Last edited by rdoebel; 10-16-2008 at 11:01 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 10-16-2008
optikal illushun's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Coal Region, MTC to be exact...heart of the coal region.
Posts: 2,232
umm...i said in my post we had the 285/75s on the stock 16x7s and aftermarket 16x8s...no reason is wont work.
Reply With Quote
  #61  
Old 10-16-2008
rdoebel's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Clyde, Ohio
Posts: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by optikal illushun View Post
umm...i said in my post we had the 285/75s on the stock 16x7s and aftermarket 16x8s...no reason is wont work.
Well I'm just saying that on BFGoodrich's website they say that the 285's wont fit on a 7" rim, but you're saying they will without cranking the t-bars? and with no rubbing? And with no problems of maybe popping off the rim?

Last edited by rdoebel; 10-16-2008 at 08:25 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 11-04-2008
optikal illushun's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Coal Region, MTC to be exact...heart of the coal region.
Posts: 2,232
forgot bout this, sorry. no issues with popping off the bead and we didnt have to crank the bars.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 11-04-2008
rdoebel's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Clyde, Ohio
Posts: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by optikal illushun View Post
forgot bout this, sorry. no issues with popping off the bead and we didnt have to crank the bars.
Cool. Now if I were to take my truck to the ford garage and order the tires, etc, would they try to tell me they won't do it because of the rim size and what the tires are rated for?
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 11-05-2008
DSFD506's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Anderson, SC
Posts: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdoebel View Post
Cool. Now if I were to take my truck to the ford garage and order the tires, etc, would they try to tell me they won't do it because of the rim size and what the tires are rated for?
I'm thinking they would give you a tough time doing it stating safety reasons and not wanting a lawsuit if something happens. Can you not find somewhere other than Ford to get your tires ? Seems like that would be the last place I would go to. Check with other tire shops as i'm sure you could get everything done for a better price.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 11-05-2008
rdoebel's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Clyde, Ohio
Posts: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSFD506 View Post
I'm thinking they would give you a tough time doing it stating safety reasons and not wanting a lawsuit if something happens. Can you not find somewhere other than Ford to get your tires ? Seems like that would be the last place I would go to. Check with other tire shops as i'm sure you could get everything done for a better price.
True. Almost any work I get done on my truck I take to the Ford garage. But for tires, I could go just about anywhere. There's a few tire places around here, so I could check them out.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 11-07-2008
DSFD506's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Anderson, SC
Posts: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdoebel View Post
True. Almost any work I get done on my truck I take to the Ford garage. But for tires, I could go just about anywhere. There's a few tire places around here, so I could check them out.
Be a good idea. The place I buy my tires only sells tires and doesn't install them, just happened to buy them at 5pm when all the tire shops closed. Ford wanted $13.65 per tire plus another $2.00 per tire disposal fee whether I took them or not. Tire shop only charged me $8 per tire. Not too mention Firestone and Sears wanted over $100 just to mount and balance 4 tires. I was like WTF, seriously...
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 11-08-2008
rdoebel's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Clyde, Ohio
Posts: 142
Sweet. Thanks for all the help!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Switching to All terrains, some questions... LancerRevo New Ideas 18 12-19-2013 02:11 AM
Mud terrains vs all terrains 2wdranger Wheels & Tires Semi-Tech 11 04-22-2008 06:47 PM
BFG All Terrains - got em... popecruz Wheels & Tires Semi-Tech 25 12-15-2005 01:06 PM
Bfg All-terrains black-n-blue General Ford Ranger Discussion 16 05-22-2005 10:21 PM
31" BFG All Terrains and Explorer Springs For Sale... Skyjacker_44 General Ford Ranger Discussion 4 08-02-2004 12:01 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:40 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.