Would my 2002 Edge plus wheels fit a 2002 4x4? - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


Wheels & Tires Semi-Tech General discussion of wheels and tires for the Ford Ranger.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 09-24-2005
straightedge's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Davie, Florida
Posts: 633
Would my 2002 Edge plus wheels fit a 2002 4x4?

Just what the title says. A member is intrested in buying my old wheels. He has a 2002 Ford Ranger edge 4x4. He also wants to know if my wheels are wide enough for 31x10.5 tires? Thank you very much fellow members.


Matt
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-24-2005
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: PUEBLO, CO
Posts: 3,753
yes they will fit. as for the 31s, theyll go on fine. they MIGHT look a little pinched but thats a jusdement call.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-24-2005
V8 Level II's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,831
The Edge Plus wheels have exactly the same offset, width and backspacing as the Alcoas on the Level II's which also use 31x10.50R15's. So, the fit and appearance of the tires would be the same as what you see on a LII.

There is an interference problem for the 02 EP wheels on some 4x4's. I have heard that Ford upped the rotor diameter (again) from 11.25" to 12" on Ranger 4x4's built after about 3/2003 but I can't confirm that. Assuming that info is correct, it would mean that the wheels should be OK on the 2002 4x4.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-24-2005
straightedge's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Davie, Florida
Posts: 633
ok , thanks fellow members. I'll let him know.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-24-2005
n3elz's Avatar
RF Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Kennett Square, PA
Posts: 10,620
But maybe not if he has 16" wheels now. We found out with Ben (Ranger1) that 15" Edge Plus wheels do not fit 4x4's with 16" wheels. Turns out the brakes are bigger and that's why they went to 16" wheels. But that may have started in 2003 (which is what Ben's is I believe) so you may be okay.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-24-2005
straightedge's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Davie, Florida
Posts: 633
I'll let him know, thanks John.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-24-2005
V8 Level II's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by n3elz
But maybe not if he has 16" wheels now. We found out with Ben (Ranger1) that 15" Edge Plus wheels do not fit 4x4's with 16" wheels. Turns out the brakes are bigger and that's why they went to 16" wheels. But that may have started in 2003 (which is what Ben's is I believe) so you may be okay.
Most 4x4 Rangers have used 16" wheels for several years, even before the latest brake size increase that is supposed to have happened at 2003 1/2.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-24-2005
n3elz's Avatar
RF Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Kennett Square, PA
Posts: 10,620
Okay, then he's probably okay. I didn't want him getting into the situation I got into with Ben -- I had to buy the wheels back when they didn't fit, lol.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-24-2005
V8 Level II's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by n3elz
Okay, then he's probably okay. I didn't want him getting into the situation I got into with Ben -- I had to buy the wheels back when they didn't fit, lol.
Probably is the right word. I'm not 100% positive that the 2002 EP wheels will work with the smaller brakes but, from your experience, we do know they won't with the larger ones.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-30-2005
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 561
Hey guys Im a noob here and wanted to my first post to be a proper introduction but I think im about to get in a Jam so here it is. I have an 03' FX4 (non Level II) that has the 16 inch 5-spokes and was looking to do a wheel & tire swap with a guy that has factory 15-inch wheels on a 01' edge 2wd ext cab 4.0. I don't know if these are the edge plus wheels or not but heres a link 01' edge wheels I saw where ford increased the front brake size between these years and Im worried these won't clear the caliper. I don't want to meet the guy a couple hours away and say ops sorry deals off I didn't do my research first. Can anyone help me out and confirm if these will or will not fit my truck. Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-30-2005
n3elz's Avatar
RF Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Kennett Square, PA
Posts: 10,620
Don't do it, in my opinion. I'm quite sure you have the bigger front brakes on the FX4. Ben's was also a 2003 4x4 and mine is a 2002 2WD which are respectively the same wheels to trade you're looking at. Yes, those are the Edge Plus wheels you were looking at (I clicked your link, thanks).
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-30-2005
V8 Level II's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Fear
Hey guys Im a noob here and wanted to my first post to be a proper introduction but I think im about to get in a Jam so here it is. I have an 03' FX4 (non Level II) that has the 16 inch 5-spokes and was looking to do a wheel & tire swap with a guy that has factory 15-inch wheels on a 01' edge 2wd ext cab 4.0. I don't know if these are the edge plus wheels or not but heres a link 01' edge wheels I saw where ford increased the front brake size between these years and Im worried these won't clear the caliper. I don't want to meet the guy a couple hours away and say ops sorry deals off I didn't do my research first. Can anyone help me out and confirm if these will or will not fit my truck. Thanks for your help.
You are in a gray area. The info that I have heard is that the brake size was increased midyear on the 2003's from 11 1/4 to 12". Supposedly, the cutoff was sometime around March, 2003. NONE OF THIS HAS BEEN CONFIRMED but we did have the situation noted above where 2002 EP wheels did not fit on a 2003 4x4 owned by one of the members here. I would pull a front wheel and measure the brakes. If the rotors are 12", you could have a problem.

And, yes, the wheels in your picture look like the 2002 15" EP wheels that caused the interference:



Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-30-2005
n3elz's Avatar
RF Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Kennett Square, PA
Posts: 10,620
Ha ha! That's my white truck a LONG time ago (in a galaxy far, far away...)
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-30-2005
V8 Level II's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by n3elz
Ha ha! That's my white truck a LONG time ago (in a galaxy far, far away...)
The one with the offending wheels. Did you ever find a buyer for those?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-30-2005
n3elz's Avatar
RF Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Kennett Square, PA
Posts: 10,620
No. I told Candice she could have them for her truck -- but she doesn't really want them (or to pay to have them installed, lol) They're more-or-less still available.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-30-2005
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 561
Measured one during lunch 12". Doesn't look like these will work. I was affraid of that. I don't know when the truck was manufactured but it was originally sold in september of 03. I think I'll end up getting some 265s to fit my currrent wheels. Was wanting to go 15" but I cant afford to get new wheels and tires at the same time right now.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-30-2005
V8 Level II's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Fear
Measured one during lunch 12". Doesn't look like these will work. I was affraid of that. I don't know when the truck was manufactured but it was originally sold in september of 03. I think I'll end up getting some 265s to fit my currrent wheels. Was wanting to go 15" but I cant afford to get new wheels and tires at the same time right now.
I think the manufacture date is on the door jamb label.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-30-2005
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 561
FYI manufactured July 2003
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-30-2005
EdGe_wannabe's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Richmond Hill, Georgia
Posts: 4,306
Hey John, do you have tose stock wheels & tires for sale?

Brenton
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-30-2005
V8 Level II's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Fear
FYI manufactured July 2003
Good info. That fits with the story about the change to 12" brakes in 3/2003.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 09-30-2005
n3elz's Avatar
RF Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Kennett Square, PA
Posts: 10,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdGe_wannabe
Hey John, do you have tose stock wheels & tires for sale?

Brenton
Just wheels, Brenton. I had a set of 4 pretty worn Cooper S/T's -- but there are only 3 left as I gave one to Billy (GatorBlue92) to have as a full size spare.

But the wheels themselves are available. Ones got some good "rash" on the very edge, but overall they're not in bad shape.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Difference between Edge and Edge Plus? Strider0O0 General Ford Ranger Discussion 25 03-08-2017 03:08 PM
Would 2002 F150 SuperCrew Leafs fit our Trucks??? Fx4wannabe01 Suspension Tech 71 04-15-2009 10:15 PM
edge vs. edge plus desertrunner General Ford Ranger Discussion 28 04-18-2006 05:15 PM
Theese wheels plus what tires? 86YOTA Wheels & Tires Semi-Tech 40 12-22-2005 11:47 AM
Here is why EDGE plus wheels don't fit 2003 and newer 4x4 Ranger1 General Ford Ranger Discussion 31 06-03-2005 02:32 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:17 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.