Ranger-Forums Office Post all comments, questions, and suggestions about the site in this sub-forum. Announcements will be posted here as well.

Old Threads

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2010
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old Threads

There has been a lot of year old threads being dug up lately. On another forum I'm on, if a thread hasn't been posted in in 60 days, it's automatically locked. But the original poster can reply to the thread and it opens again. Can something like that be done to keep the old threads buried?

Old 11-25-2010
Ford parts guy
Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
x2

Old 11-25-2010
Old Guy User…
Received 74 Likes on 64 Posts
I agree, mainly because I read some of them and respond without looking a the dates and then feel like a fool for responding.

x3 on locking old threads...

Old 11-25-2010
RF Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So first people b!tch about noobs making new threads and not searching, and now people are complaining about people actually searching and asking questions? Are you guys really THAT bothered by an old thread being bumped?

Old 11-25-2010
RF Veteran
I am gonna have to agree with Tyler. What does it really matter if someone asked a question in a old thread? They are searching and doing what everyone *****es at them to do when they ask a question in a new thread. Get over it.

Why would you feel like a fool for responding? Someone asks a question and you are answering it. Thats normal what people do is respond. Don't feel like a fool, its just the internet.

Old 11-25-2010
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rangerboy101
So first people b!tch about noobs making new threads and not searching, and now people are complaining about people actually searching and asking questions? Are you guys really THAT bothered by an old thread being bumped?
X2

Old 11-25-2010
RF Veteran
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I don't think its a good idea. We have lots of great threads here like Rwenzings old swap threads and Zabeards swap threads that are a great resource for people to continue to ask questions in.

Old 11-25-2010
Old Guy User…
Received 74 Likes on 64 Posts
It’s not the questions or the searching to me… search, find info, ask questions in new post, keep things separate; you can quote the link to the old post but start something new.

AND I post in old threads all the time without checking the dates and no ones responds except to question if I looked at the date. In the long run it is better to search, start your own thread and state you searched and still have questions.

Old 11-25-2010
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rangerboy101

this imo. couldnt have said it better myself tyler

Originally Posted by Scrambler82
In the long run it is better to search, start your own thread and state you searched and still have questions.

not really..

Old 11-25-2010
KLC
RF Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't see the big deal, or the need.

Old 11-25-2010
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by KLC
I don't see the big deal, or the need.
Amen to that!

I'm a strong believer in pushing members to use the SEARCH feature to help answer their questions. If it happens that they have a question on what they found, I say hell ya to zombie threads. And for the ones that just don't like it, well they can just comment for the post count +1.....LOL

Old 11-25-2010
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It’s not the questions or the searching to me… search, find info, ask questions in new post, keep things separate; you can quote the link to the old post but start something new.

AND I post in old threads all the time without checking the dates and no ones responds except to question if I looked at the date. In the long run it is better to search, start your own thread and state you searched and still have questions.
agreed. if you search and can't find the specific answer you are looking for, post it. but no need to dig up an old thread to ask something not really related to the original question.

but how many new people really use the search anyways? the same question always comes up and the poster has less than 10 posts.

Old 11-25-2010
RF Veteran
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by drppdyllwrngr
agreed. if you search and can't find the specific answer you are looking for, post it. but no need to dig up an old thread to ask something not really related to the original question.
Oh yeah I totally agree with that. Theres no reason for a old thread to be bumped for a question that has nothing to do with it. But I think they should still stay open for people to ask questions that do relate to it.

Old 11-25-2010
I agree some threads would be better locked at a certain time, but that would be hard to do or atleast time consuming. Although i do feel that for sale ads should be locked at some time , i hate browsing the for sale section seeing something im interested in and noticing it was from 3 years ago lol

Old 11-26-2010
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what he said ^^

It would defiantly help with some of the confusion when someone digs up old thread that people who don't even post anymore made and discussed.

I will search stuff sometimes, look through a thread, get a bunch of info, and click out of it, never posting anything. If I have other questions about it I can always make a new thread.

Old 11-30-2010
who?
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
IMO, its not going to change. I see nothing wrong with posting new threads or bumping old ones. Your choice. I am not going to change the rules. Sorry.

If you feel its confusing just do the simple and read the dates on the posts or thread. It magically makes it less confusing.