4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech General discussion of 4.0L OHV and SOHC V6 Ford Ranger engines.

K&N or Stock?????

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
K&N or Stock?????

I had the K&N FIPK installed on my truck for a few months but since i got my lift ive started taking the truck through A LOT more mud/water and the last thing i want to do is hydrolock it so i took the K&N off because i was told that the open filter like that was just asking for it to suck in water. Now i really want to put it back on but to me its not worth the risk, so im wondering is there a way to make the stock airbox fit on the FIPK? has anyone done it? Or how well does this thing work if anyone has tried it? http://www.stuffforyourranger.com/st...b6c1e99a8a7a86
or is it really even safer with stock intake rather than the fipk?
just anything i can do or buy to protect the k&n from sucking in water, or any suggestions that anyone has... thanks guys.

Old 12-29-2006
someone fabbed some plastic to put over theirs its pretty sweet

Old 12-29-2006
This is what you need:

http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...Prod=RF-1048DL

I sell them for $33.99, PM me if interested.

Old 12-29-2006
Wayne has a video on that k&n cover, by pourin water on it while the truck is running.

EDIT: Heres the thread. video is in topic. https://www.ranger-forums.com/forum2...ad.php?t=28701

Old 12-29-2006
i had this on my 98 ranger and it seemed to do very well and i was constantly in the mud and stuff by the lake so....bump for a good product

Old 12-29-2006
I made a splash shield for mine out of some metal ducting. it worked very well!

Old 12-29-2006
RF Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i was thinking of getting this for my truck with the hose kit.

http://knfilters.com/universal/apollo.htm

i would run the hose and secure it somewhere, probably run it in the inner fender, and switch from the normal cone filter to the apollo when i went offroading.

Old 12-29-2006
RF Veteran
oh yeah. i would already have the fipk and i would seal the apollo with some silicone

Old 12-29-2006
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a drop in K&N. I know they let through a little more dirt but if it get water logger I can shake any water out of it put it back in and be going in a few seconds. A water logged paper filter is useless.

I have gotten my K&N caked with mud and then just cleaned it and reoiled it and it is as good as new. With as many times I have had to clean my air filter after off roading I would have spent more money over the same period if I had paper filters.

Now if you are talking about a cone filter I would say no to this. Water splashing up under you hood is makeing the filter wet. A wet filter means there is some wet in the engine. A stock box protects you from getting a wet filter. Just throw a drop in K&N cut some holes in your air box and you will be good to go. The holes will allow any water that has gotten in to get out.

Old 12-30-2006
RF Veteran
yeah but if u look at the apollo, it seals the cone filter inside and u can run the hose away from areas that get splashed with water. i was saying take the k&n cone filter off and install the apollo when u go offroading then reinstall the k&n cone filter when your not. my plan was to cut a hole big enough in the inner fender and run the hose through that that way nothing splashes in the intake of the hose. just an idea i wont be able to experiment cuz im changing trucks. i think it would work on a snorkel kit too. u can run just the cone filter when not offroading so u dont suffer from horsepower losses from the snorkel.