I've been at it again & here's some of my latest creations:
My LED modded 3rd Brake Lights.
Here's a sample of my Cargo Light version:
Each of the white sections have 24x 5mm white LED's.
The red center section has 44 or 48x 5mm red LED's (Sometimes I can get 48, sometimes only 44 leds)
Each LED PCB has it's own voltage regulator & is diode protected.
If your truck is set up for a Cargo Light 3rdBL (3 wires in the connector in the truck) you have a couple methods for connections:
1. T10 bulb bases installed on the wiring for the light. Simply plug in the bulb base into your OEM harness & you're done. Simple & easy but over time the bulb bases may work loose. I haven't had any trouble with mine.
2. Butt connectors. I'll crimp on butt connectors to the wires from the light & all you need to do is snip off the bulb holders from your OEM harness & crimp on the butt connectors. More permanent, but you'll need to cut up your OEM wiring harness.
Also comes in handy if you only have a connection for brake lights & you'd like to tie the white sections into your dome light OR reverse lights.
3. Full plug-n-play. I can install an OEM wiring connector that plugs right into your OEM harness. Only works if your truck is wired for cargo lights already.
(Please note that I don't have a ton of OEM wiring harnesses & I may not have enough to attach to every single 3rdBL. Check with me to make sure I have an OEM harness if you absolutely must have one installed to make sure I have or can get one for you)
If your truck isn't wired for cargo lights, you'll need to tap into your dome light OR tap into your reverse lights to add even more light when backing up.
If you can't tell by the pics, I totally wet sand (even sand off the writing imprinted on the lower right hand area) and buff each 3rdBL to a near new finish. If you had seen these before I began working on them, you wouldn't think they could ever look this good.
Here's one of my All Red 3rdBL's: BIG RED
Like the Cargo Light version, they all get totally sanded & buffed out.
I can do a couple different versions of this mod:
1. BIG RED, as shown has 112x 5mm red LED's installed with 2x voltage regulators. This is by far the most expensive to make, most time consuming to build & BRIGHTEST version I'm currently making.
2. Little RED, basically the same as BIG RED but only has 63x 5mm red LED's and 2x voltage regulators. Still a lot of work, still darn bright.
3. Turn signal mod... This is the way I made the one on my truck. I made 3 LED PCB's like the cargo light version, all with red led's. Each panel is independent of the others. The center connects to the Brake Lights as normal, but the 2 outer red sections can connect to your Turn Signals so they blink along with your turn signals.
Wiring on the all red version will be a bit simpler.
1. OEM plug connected to the light (as long as I have OEM plugs in stock)
2. Butt connectors. Simply snip your bulb holder off your OEM harness & crimp on the connectors to your OEM harness or additional wiring.
These are BRIGHT!
The last 2 pics are in my garage, totally dark, about 10 feet away from the garage door. No camera flash, just BIG RED lit up.
I DO NOT recommend looking directly at these for any length of time. I've about blinded myself making these!
Every version is hand made by me. I cut my own PCB's, paint the front side matching colors, solder each individual LED & resistor by hand & everything else needed.
The back side of each board is covered with several layers of liquid tape to keep the connections nice & dry and to prevent any accidental shorts.
I also sand the black surround and paint it with Black Gloss Krylon Fusion after final assembly... adds a nice finishing touch.
Cargo Light versions = $50.00 plus Priority Shipping within the USA (Canada will be a little more shipping)
All Red versions:
BIG RED 112 led = $60.00 plus Priority Shipping
Little Red 63 led = $50.00 plus Priority Shipping
Turn Signal Mod version: = $50.00 plus Priority Shipping
As of today 11-27-10, I have:
BIG RED that's 90% complete (need to seal around the OEM gasket & let it cure) It has an OEM wiring plug installed & it is plug-n-play.
Cargo Light versions that are 90% complete (need to seal the gasket & install wiring connections for your application)
Little Red version that's 50% complete (need to finish assembly, final wet sand & buff, paint black surround & install wiring for your application)
Did I mention they're BRIGHT?!?
Don't waste your hard earned money on those dinky LED 3rdBL's on evilBay, they won't be nearly as bright as one of these bad boys.