i tried adhisuve promoter and had terrible luck with it. here is what i personally do and have had wonderful results.
1) Sand (how much will depend on how much texture u want)
2) clean with a mild cleaner, let dry and wipe with a tack cloth
3) spray with a light coat of primer (brand is up to you, i used the cheap $1 from dollar general)
4) wet sand primer gently to prep for next coat
5) repeat step 4 and 5 until part is completely coated to ur satisfaction
6) clean, dry and wipe down with a tack cloth
7) Spray color on part, continue until part is how u want (i like to wipe down with a tack cloth inbetween coats if its dusty when u are working)
8) let dry for 24 hrs then its time for clear coat, i use duplicolor clear coat. spray and let dry, i use 3-5 coats. the duplicolor clear coat seems to stand up better to abuse over the cheaper coats.
for more of a shine u can wet sand the final coat of clear and buff it out but that is difficult on most parts.
heres some example of my handywork: