This last summer I was given this truck. My grandpa bought it brand new and he can no longer drive. I was very excited to get a truck not only becasue my Dodge Omni had not been very reliable lately, but I think I have always been a pickup man.
I took a quick inspection of this truck and I knew I had to replace the shocks front and rear so before I ever took a very close look at what I was dealing with I purchased a flip kit from DJM and shocks for the front and rear. When I was able to finally go drive the truck to my house I knew I had to get these installed before driving it anymore. I started with replacing the front shocks and everything was going smoothly until I moved to the rear.
The Flip kit was WAY more than i bargained for. See this is the first time I ever worked on any type of truck so I really didn't know the work involved when I bought these parts. The first sign of a headache was the rear leaf spring hanger on the drivers side was basically gone and it was resting on the bed. I figured this was pretty much the reason for the crappy suspension so I purchased a bracket on ebay. To make a long story short I ended up taking off the bed and found that I was in for a long summer.
This is what the frame looked like. I cut the bracket off but that's the way the frame looked.
I then cut off all the bad, rusted metal and then I got my hands on an I beam.
This was actually not the hardest part of fixing this truck.
This is the repair piece fully welded on and then bolted to good frame.
I bought a brand new hanger kit and then repaired the rear crossmember with the rest of the I-beam.
Ironically this was the hardest part of the repair is fabbing up a new crossmember to supprot the gas tank. I was able to use the passenger side half but the drivers side half was totally rusted off.
I took everything off and then painted the frame so I wouldn't have to deal with this crap for a long time.
This is a mandrel bent Dynomax tailpipe with a welded stainless tip. The muffler is a SS Borla and I love it!
This is what it looked like a few days after it was finished.
I still have to put on rear cab mounts becasue go figure they are rusted out.
I purchased a mustang Traction lock rear end and will install it as soon a spring rolls around, when I get new drums, shoes, and add-a-leafs (My leafs are pretty shot)