Body lift collapse easy? - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


1" & 3" Body Lifts General discussion of body lifts for the Ford Ranger.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 07-24-2005
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Anchorage,Alaska
Posts: 125
Body lift collapse easy?

Hey guys, from looking around I've seen hints that body lifts could potentially be dangerous (well I dunno about dangerous but like sometimes it collapses or gets messed up).. Becaue I want to lift my ranger some but I want to know if it'll hold up ok. Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-24-2005
MrRngr94's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Tampa
Posts: 493
I'm by far no pro when it comes to body lifts, but I would say you should be safe as long as you don't do more than a 3" lift, maybe 4" but that would be the max that I would feel comfortable with on a daily driver. That's just my $.02
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-24-2005
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Anchorage,Alaska
Posts: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRngr94
I'm by far no pro when it comes to body lifts, but I would say you should be safe as long as you don't do more than a 3" lift, maybe 4" but that would be the max that I would feel comfortable with on a daily driver. That's just my $.02
Yea sounds good, thanks. I just want a cheap little lift as I will be paying off my parents $2,000 and I can't afford expensive stuff right now (plus I dunno if I would shell out a grand for the same size lift in suspension even if i had it).
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-24-2005
Swoop1156's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Hanover, Maryland
Posts: 1,965
I've heard of people using hockey pucks as a cheap alternative. THAT will give you problems. A well engineered, mass produced body lift from a reputable company should be just fine.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-24-2005
Draimen's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Fort Morgan, CO
Posts: 402
Just don't try to jump stuff with a body lift and you will be fine
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-24-2005
Red_Ak_Ranger's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 17,221
No risk at all really. If you're paying for part of your truck you will have respect for it. They make a 3 inch body lift for our trucks that you can buy through JC Whitney.

Infact, if you're interested I could sell you mine. ITs been sitting on the floor for 2 months short of a year, never put on. I bought it, and my dad got pissy. If you're interested PM me a price, and if Alaska Marine Lines ships from Juneau to Anchorage, I could get it to you w/ cheap shipping, because my sis works there.

Aaron
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-24-2005
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location:
Posts: 3,115
I talked to plenty of people that have had them for years with no problem
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-24-2005
Level III Supporter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: usa
Posts: 24,936
just to double check you have a 4x4 right? I dontk now because you dont have a signature with your trucks stats.....
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-24-2005
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Fayetteville, NC
Posts: 1,966
Hockey pucks are not a lift, cheap lazy alternative. They break cause pucks aren't meant to take that kind of abuse.

I have never seen a bodylift collapse, I beat the crap out of mine on my Ranger and I know Jey(034x4) abuses his too. As long as you know the limits of your truck and don't exceed that, you will be just fine.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-24-2005
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Danville, VA
Posts: 2,664
i want a body lift.....

yah, just go ahead....dont try to fly it and u'll be fine
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-24-2005
RF Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: College Station, TX
Posts: 5,782
Gil managed to slide the drivers side of his cab an inch or so forward by hitting a mud puddle too fast with his body lift, but that's an isolated incident. Do a good job installing it and be smart about it and you ought to be just fine.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-24-2005
Level III Supporter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: usa
Posts: 24,936
I dont know i just dont trust a body lift....never have...
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-24-2005
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Fayetteville, NC
Posts: 1,966
Well thats your choice, don't know why, but your choice.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-24-2005
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: crystal river,fl
Posts: 1,778
i have a body lift. i beat the crap out of my truck.mines never let me down.i trust it.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-24-2005
Jack Sparrow's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: FL
Posts: 234
yeah those blocks are rated at 50,000 PSI they wont break unless you want to break your whole truck ...i love the bodylift i had on my S-10
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-24-2005
Red_Ak_Ranger's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 17,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneckstone
I dont know i just dont trust a body lift....never have...

The wierd part is you don't have a body lift...so I don't think there's much experience to speak from, since as far as I can tell, nobody has EVER had a very dangerous problem with body lifts.

Aaron
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-24-2005
Level III Supporter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: usa
Posts: 24,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Ak_Ranger
The wierd part is you don't have a body lift...so I don't think there's much experience to speak from, since as far as I can tell, nobody has EVER had a very dangerous problem with body lifts.

Aaron
no S*** i dont have one i have helped install them on a few friends trucks...I just wont ever own one sorry I dont like the gap between the frame and the motor sinking down...i dont know i just cant stand them...IMO....thus IMO...
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-24-2005
Red_Ak_Ranger's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 17,221
Well. it just seems out of place how you insult body lifts in every thread. I think you could have a much better approach.

Instead of "I dont know i just dont trust a body lift....never have.."

why don't you try

"If you're a 2WD I highly reccomend spindles because, although they are a little more costly, they are a true suspension lift and are much more solidly built."

I just don't see why you have such a bad opinion on body lifts, since in every single post you attack them. You even attack them in 4WD truck threads. If you'd chip in to buy half an RCD lift with me then It just might be worth getting, but most of us for now are happy with our only cheap option which happens to be a body lift. I agree though, showing the underframe isn't that good looking, but I don't mind about the engine dropping, makes room for a bigger oen. Oh and also, the engine doesn't drop, the body rises.

Aaron
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-24-2005
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Fayetteville, NC
Posts: 1,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Ak_Ranger
Well. it just seems out of place how you insult body lifts in every thread. I think you could have a much better approach.

Instead of "I dont know i just dont trust a body lift....never have.."

why don't you try

"If you're a 2WD I highly reccomend spindles because, although they are a little more costly, they are a true suspension lift and are much more solidly built."

I just don't see why you have such a bad opinion on body lifts, since in every single post you attack them. You even attack them in 4WD truck threads. If you'd chip in to buy half an RCD lift with me then It just might be worth getting, but most of us for now are happy with our only cheap option which happens to be a body lift. I agree though, showing the underframe isn't that good looking, but I don't mind about the engine dropping, makes room for a bigger oen. Oh and also, the engine doesn't drop, the body rises.

Aaron

Well said Aaron, I agree wholeheartedly:)
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-24-2005
Level III Supporter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: usa
Posts: 24,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Ak_Ranger
"If you're a 2WD I highly reccomend spindles because, although they are a little more costly, they are a true suspension lift and are much more solidly built."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneckstone
just to double check you have a 4x4 right? I dontk now because you dont have a signature with your trucks stats.....
thats why i asked if he was 2wd or 4x4 and havent heard anything back....

Quote:
I just don't see why you have such a bad opinion on body lifts, since in every single post you attack them. You even attack them in 4WD truck threads. If you'd chip in to buy half an RCD lift with me then It just might be worth getting, but most of us for now are happy with our only cheap option which happens to be a body lift. I agree though, showing the underframe isn't that good looking, but I don't mind about the engine dropping, makes room for a bigger oen. Oh and also, the engine doesn't drop, the body rises.
i know the body rises its just how i sayed it damn pin me to a wall....

after i get my fx4 after march or so i will be putting a superlift on it I'd rather wait and keep saving then just pop into a body lift...once agian you keep taking it to heart its just IMO(in my opinion) I defined it for you because you dont seem to understand...


am not saying I hate your truck because it has a body lift on it no....it just not my style just like my KC bar people love it or hate it....same princible....i put my $.02 in and you are getting mad about it...he asked for people to talk about so....I am......
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 07-24-2005
Red_Ak_Ranger's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 17,221
Nah I'm not tryin to pick on ya or anything, your truck is the background of my computer, which means it has to be pretty good.

I personally like your KC bar, but I will not go into every thread on whether someone should get one, and make unfounded claims of safety hazards. Its not that you're saying your opinion, its that it seems false.

The reason I brought 4x4 up is because you say the same thing in 4x4 threads, "save up for a suspension lift". Well suprise suprise, a lot of us cannot do that. I'm going to college in a month, I barely have enough money to have bought the body lift heh.

I'm not tryin to attack you or pin you to a wall, just please stop talking **** about body lifts in every thread. You have a right to your opinion, but I have a right to disagree. Just say they look ugly or show too much frame, but don't say something that doesn't show to be dangerous is dangerous.

*edit* you said you were getting the FX2? That is the one that is 1 or 2 inches higher than the rest of the ranger trucks right? Doesn't that incorporate spacers that are in essence a body lift?


Aaron
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-24-2005
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
i trust mine its til very solid. ive only had it 1000 miles tho
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-24-2005
Level III Supporter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: usa
Posts: 24,936
Ok first lets get this striaght you and I ARE NOT fighting am not made at you, you arnt mad at me ok kodos just having a friendly argument haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Ak_Ranger
Nah I'm not tryin to pick on ya or anything, your truck is the background of my computer, which means it has to be pretty good.
first thanks that means alot

Quote:
I personally like your KC bar, but I will not go into every thread on whether someone should get one, and make unfounded claims of safety hazards. Its not that you're saying your opinion, its that it seems false.
i dont make false claims....dear lord look at all of them i dont talk about safety all i have sayed is this:(read the whole thread i didnt talk about safety, nor in other one's)
Quote:
I dont know i just dont trust a body lift....never have...
and its in my mind i think this and i wont change my mind on it. i know many people use them and are FINE its just in my mind i dont like them and thats all i am saying

Quote:
The reason I brought 4x4 up is because you say the same thing in 4x4 threads, "save up for a suspension lift". Well suprise suprise, a lot of us cannot do that. I'm going to college in a month, I barely have enough money to have bought the body lift heh.
I am also in college right now. its called i dont have 2 penny's eather because am saving like a freaking mad man to buy a new truck right now so i can pay cash for it.

saving for a suspension lift can be as easy as every week have an envolope and put $10 in it and never take $ out of it. OR get one of those HUGE coke coin bank things and put all your loose change and odd and end dollars in it.

Quote:
I'm not tryin to attack you or pin you to a wall, just please stop talking **** about body lifts in every thread. You have a right to your opinion, but I have a right to disagree. Just say they look ugly or show too much frame, but don't say something that doesn't show to be dangerous is dangerous.
I dont talk S*** about them I just dont like the how the frame yadayada...once agian i dont talk S***....talking S*** would be like: " hey Body lift you suck, and your mom is a *****!!!" or "hey guy with a body lift your truck f-ing blows chunks go to hell"....i dont do that...i just try to steer people away from them because i dont care for them...just having a internet conversation.

Quote:
*edit* you said you were getting the FX2? That is the one that is 1 or 2 inches higher than the rest of the ranger trucks right? Doesn't that incorporate spacers that are in essence a body lift?
I sayed fx4...meaning level II fx4
Quote:
after i get my fx4 after march or so i will be putting a superlift on it I'd rather wait and keep saving then just pop into a body lift
and no they dont have spacers....only thing you might mean is rear blocks on the rear end but your truck has that too and thats on the suspension...and the only reason there higher is because of the 31's over the stock like 28's you have. and once agian no a level II doesnt have a body lift what so ever...
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-24-2005
RF Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: College Station, TX
Posts: 5,782
Haha I think its kinda funny how Zach kinda keeps getting picked on for so boisterously denouncing body lifts. Personally, I don't care for a body lift as much as I do a suspension lift, hence why I have a superlift. Regardless, I don't look down on trucks or think they suck because they have a body lift. I think I fall into the exact same category as Zach in my stance on body lifts, but nobody ever gives me trouble about it!

If you want to do a body lift, there are plenty of reasons why you should get one over a suspension lift. I just don't think those reasons are as good as the reasons to get a suspension lift
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 07-25-2005
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location:
Posts: 3,115
So anyway, there are plenty of people with them that have used them with no problems
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2in'' Lift Install Hard or Easy? Hugh Januss Suspension Tech 0 02-14-2014 04:12 AM
cheap and easy way to lift a 98 andrew_deaton Suspension Tech 6 01-14-2013 07:32 PM
Couple easy trail pics and my brand new $30 hi-lift! Goodysgotacuda Snapshots 23 04-09-2009 06:47 PM
Summit Body Lift or PA Body Lift? vansnxtweek 1" & 3" Body Lifts 6 03-08-2008 04:39 PM
Too Body Lift... Or Not Too Body Lift... Mason 1" & 3" Body Lifts 51 06-30-2005 10:09 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:17 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.