Looking for more V00M V00M - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


2.9L & 3.0L V6 Tech General discussion of 2.9L and 3.0L V6 Ford Ranger engines.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 05-31-2007
Underwear Gnome's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Coeburn va
Posts: 76
Icon5 Looking for more V00M V00M

Hello all!

Before i say anything else im going to say im on a very limited budget (just got out of high school, getting ready for college). My parents got me an 97 ranger 3.0 xlt and i am looking for a few easy non-bankrupting methods to give it more "get up and go".

I have almost no knowledge of vehicles but I am trying to learn. Any help would be great!


Thanks,
RJ
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-31-2007
bwester04's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Round Rock, Tx
Posts: 2,641
intake is probably among the cheapest, then exhaust..it's hard to say, really. Just depends on your actual budget and how much you're willing to spend for a few more horses

PS: Welcome to R-F!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-31-2007
0sixsport's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Logan, Utah
Posts: 860
Ya, start with exhaust and intake. They are both pretty reasonably priced power mods and you get the sound too from them.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-31-2007
Sonic04Edge's Avatar
RF Veteran

iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Madison. AL
Posts: 5,715
Better yet give us an idea of how much your willing to spend and then we can send you the right direction.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-31-2007
Red_Ak_Ranger's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 17,221
You are F'd in the A dude. The aftermarket for your engine sucks. Wait it out and then swap engines after college.

There's lotsa small stuff you can do....but...
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-31-2007
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 1,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Ak_Ranger
You are F'd in the A dude. The aftermarket for your engine sucks. Wait it out and then swap engines after college.

There's lotsa small stuff you can do....but...
Man that was rude, anyone ever told you if you don't have anything nice to say then keep your trap closed?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwear Gnome
Hello all!

Before i say anything else im going to say im on a very limited budget (just got out of high school, getting ready for college). My parents got me an 97 ranger 3.0 xlt and i am looking for a few easy non-bankrupting methods to give it more "get up and go".

I have almost no knowledge of vehicles but I am trying to learn. Any help would be great!


Thanks,
RJ
I have a 3.0 and yes its slower than a 4.0 but maybe its all working folks or college bound people can afford. I have done the intake and exhaust and noticed better performance and better gas mileage.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-01-2007
vindex1963's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: phoenix AZ
Posts: 3,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by FORZDA
Man that was rude, anyone ever told you if you don't have anything nice to say then keep your trap closed?
+1
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-01-2007
DaGGer's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: East Windsor, CT
Posts: 919
well if you have some money your best bet is going to be intake, exhaust, and then pullies. After that if you save a fe hundred get the Bama tuner for it. with those mods it should really wake up your truck and you can get three different tunes for it.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-01-2007
Sonic04Edge's Avatar
RF Veteran

iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Madison. AL
Posts: 5,715
If you have 450 you can afford to spend then get you a bama chips programmer best bang for your buck performance.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-01-2007
vindex1963's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: phoenix AZ
Posts: 3,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic04Edge
If you have 450 you can afford to spend then get you a bama chips programmer best bang for your buck performance.
I've asked this question before, https://www.ranger-forums.com/forum2...750#post672750

But still haven't gotten an answer to the question. $400.00 buys you what? 10-15 HP and that in torque plus a couple more mpg? If that's the case that isn't much bang for the buck. No smart a$$ here just wanting to know. I will buy one if the trade off is worth it and so far it doesn't seem so. Expense alone tends to make people justify their purchase. I have an U/D crank pulley on the way because it's proven to make 8 hp and 11 tq and for $115.00 with a belt shipped is a good investment I think.
I see Bama mentioned a lot, what about underdog they sell the Rogue X Calibrator 2.
I want to say it again I'm not trying to be a problem I've just been around long enough to need facts instead of opinion before I spend $400.00+. None of the sites have dyno sheets showing their tunes.
Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-01-2007
Sonic04Edge's Avatar
RF Veteran

iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Madison. AL
Posts: 5,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindex1963
I've asked this question before, https://www.ranger-forums.com/forum2...750#post672750

But still haven't gotten an answer to the question. $400.00 buys you what? 10-15 HP and that in torque plus a couple more mpg? If that's the case that isn't much bang for the buck. No smart a$$ here just wanting to know. I will buy one if the trade off is worth it and so far it doesn't seem so. Expense alone tends to make people justify their purchase. I have an U/D crank pulley on the way because it's proven to make 8 hp and 11 tq and for $115.00 with a belt shipped is a good investment I think.
I see Bama mentioned a lot, what about underdog they sell the Rogue X Calibrator 2.
I want to say it again I'm not trying to be a problem I've just been around long enough to need facts instead of opinion before I spend $400.00+. None of the sites have dyno sheets showing their tunes.
Thanks
I'll put it to you this way. I dont have a bamachip I have a superchip only because a friend hooked me up. However I have personally met Doug a couple of times and he's a good guy. He knows his stuff and I will buy from him next time around. Anyway onto my point. Reasons why the programmer is worth it to me. I now have a smoother/firmer shifting transmission. The performance is much better and my mileage went from 15/19 city/hwy too 19/24 city/hwy and i'm running 30.5in tires. Imagine this you pay roughly 300-400 for exhaust and get little in return besides an awesome sound. Sure you might gain a couple horsepower maybe even just a little mileage improvement, but comparing it to what you can get with the programmer there is no question as to which I would get. basicly when I got the programmer it felt like my truck woke up from a deep slumber lol. I dont have near as much 4.0 envy as I did before the programmer.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-01-2007
KARPE's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Valrico, Fl 33594
Posts: 4,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by FORZDA
Man that was rude, anyone ever told you if you don't have anything nice to say then keep your trap closed?
but it's true.

There is nothing for our Vulcans. we can spend 200 dollars on an intake that doesn't really do anything except some minor low end torque 500 on a shiny exhaust that gives a louder whirrrrr that does the same thing as the intakes.

the most bang for the buck is the tuner, that let's the engine do what it was meant to do. but thats still 400 easy and requires you to use 93 octane which eats away at the wallet a little more everyday.

if you want "vroom vroom" for little money you might as well buy lottery tickets or a magic lamp at a flea market.

Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of flashy add-ons that will let you feel like a tuner worthy of underground drift racing or whatever. The reality is that the Ranger is a working man's humble pick up and making it into something else takes a checkbook that most of us don't have.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-01-2007
vindex1963's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: phoenix AZ
Posts: 3,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic04Edge
I'll put it to you this way. I dont have a bamachip I have a superchip only because a friend hooked me up. However I have personally met Doug a couple of times and he's a good guy. He knows his stuff and I will buy from him next time around. Anyway onto my point. Reasons why the programmer is worth it to me. I now have a smoother/firmer shifting transmission. The performance is much better and my mileage went from 15/19 city/hwy too 19/24 city/hwy and i'm running 30.5in tires. Imagine this you pay roughly 300-400 for exhaust and get little in return besides an awesome sound. Sure you might gain a couple horsepower maybe even just a little mileage improvement, but comparing it to what you can get with the programmer there is no question as to which I would get. basicly when I got the programmer it felt like my truck woke up from a deep slumber lol. I dont have near as much 4.0 envy as I did before the programmer.
I get your point. After a tune you realize there were flat spots in the rpm range. Is that what you mean? Something like that. Seems to even out the "pull" under acceleration.

I have a manual shift so I wonder if the mpg change would be as much as yours. I do wish they would show dyno sheets from their tunes.
I put a Power Commander on my Harley and it did wake up the motor and I doubt the hp/tq were upped that much just seemed to spread it out. I like the P/C because you can tweak the fuel and timing, can you do that with a tuner? I know canned maps are pretty generic even the performance ones but they are a good place to start if you can "adjust" the map to fit your vehicle. I would go for it if you can do that. Thanks for giving me your take on the tuner.
Still wondering about the Bama or Rogue.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-01-2007
Sonic04Edge's Avatar
RF Veteran

iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Madison. AL
Posts: 5,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindex1963
I get your point. After a tune you realize there were flat spots in the rpm range. Is that what you mean? Something like that. Seems to even out the "pull" under acceleration.

I have a manual shift so I wonder if the mpg change would be as much as yours. I do wish they would show dyno sheets from their tunes.
I put a Power Commander on my Harley and it did wake up the motor and I doubt the hp/tq were upped that much just seemed to spread it out. I like the P/C because you can tweak the fuel and timing, can you do that with a tuner? I know canned maps are pretty generic even the performance ones but they are a good place to start if you can "adjust" the map to fit your vehicle. I would go for it if you can do that. Thanks for giving me your take on the tuner.
Still wondering about the Bama or Rogue.
Im not positive of the adjustments you can make on the tuners he uses. However Nick from TTperformance use to have a reg cab 3.0 5spd and got around 27mpg with dougs tuner.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-01-2007
Underwear Gnome's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Coeburn va
Posts: 76
Icon3

Thats for all the ideas all.....I can spend about 200-300 a month on it, or save a few months if need to.

I dont want something super fast thats gonna break my checking account I just want a lil more get up and go.

Im gonna try to go for the exhaust, intake, and programmer from what i have heard so far.Can you all send me links or tell me the best ones to get? Like i said before i have little knowledge of this sorta thing and am trying to learn.

sorry to be such a pest,

RJ
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-01-2007
Red_Ak_Ranger's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 17,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by FORZDA
Man that was rude, anyone ever told you if you don't have anything nice to say then keep your trap closed?

I have a 3.0 and yes its slower than a 4.0 but maybe its all working folks or college bound people can afford. I have done the intake and exhaust and noticed better performance and better gas mileage.

I have a 3.0 ranger too. I don't see that as rude. I can only guess maybe too many hugs from mommy as a child?

I didnt say anything mean. There's almost non existant aftermarket for the 3.0. Therefore he is screwed.

The only option is the bamachip, and altho a nice noticeable gain, it sure isn't a powerful improvement.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-01-2007
Sonic04Edge's Avatar
RF Veteran

iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Madison. AL
Posts: 5,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Ak_Ranger
I have a 3.0 ranger too. I don't see that as rude. I can only guess maybe too many hugs from mommy as a child?

I didnt say anything mean. There's almost non existant aftermarket for the 3.0. Therefore he is screwed.

The only option is the bamachip, and altho a nice noticeable gain, it sure isn't a powerful improvement.
I always thought your truck had a 4.0?
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-01-2007
KARPE's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Valrico, Fl 33594
Posts: 4,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic04Edge
I always thought your truck had a 4.0?
that's what she said
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-01-2007
Red_Ak_Ranger's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 17,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic04Edge
I always thought your truck had a 4.0?
I have a 3.0 4WD in Alaska too.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-02-2007
Sonic04Edge's Avatar
RF Veteran

iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Madison. AL
Posts: 5,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Ak_Ranger
I have a 3.0 4WD in Alaska too.
haha I forgot about your old truck. Have you driven a more recent 3.0? like an 04+ to me they seem quicker then my old 03 3.0 and it was a 5spd regcab.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 06-02-2007
98TexasRanger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Winchester, VA
Posts: 395
"Alaska Rules. Texans suck(cept roach and Evan)"


I HATE that. Every time I see a post and see that comment from you...I wanna kick you in the a$$ with my "TEXAS" size 12 BOOT........can someone remove that?
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06-03-2007
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 1,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindex1963
Still wondering about the Bama or Rogue.
Same tuner except different people selling them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KARPE
but it's true.
It maybe true but could have been said in a different way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwear Gnome
Thats for all the ideas all.....I can spend about 200-300 a month on it, or save a few months if need to.

I dont want something super fast thats gonna break my checking account I just want a lil more get up and go.

Im gonna try to go for the exhaust, intake, and programmer from what i have heard so far.Can you all send me links or tell me the best ones to get? Like i said before i have little knowledge of this sorta thing and am trying to learn.

sorry to be such a pest,

RJ
Your not being a pest
www.bamachips.com or www.jusnesmodified.com
www.stuffforyourranger.com
www.summitracing.com

There are just a few to look over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Ak_Ranger
I have a 3.0 ranger too. I don't see that as rude. I can only guess maybe too many hugs from mommy as a child?
Brilliant come back, how long did that take you to come up with *** hole?
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-03-2007
vindex1963's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: phoenix AZ
Posts: 3,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by FORZDA
Same tuner except different people selling them.
Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 06-03-2007
EdGe_wannabe's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Richmond Hill, Georgia
Posts: 4,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98TexasRanger
"Alaska Rules. Texans suck(cept roach and Evan)"


I HATE that. Every time I see a post and see that comment from you...I wanna kick you in the a$$ with my "TEXAS" size 12 BOOT........can someone remove that?
Na, it's his sig, so he can keep it there if he wants. I think it's rather funny. haha It kind of reminds me of that "Edn of ze World" movie.

Brenton
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06-03-2007
04BlackFX4's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Maine
Posts: 1,159
well if you save up,you could get new headers and a nice exhaust system, maybe a cold air intake.. or you can try to find a supercharger on ebay lol which isnt the cheapest thing to do.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bought a 2005 Ranger with a 2.3L, looking for a little more performance ls1-this DOHC - 2.3L Duratec / Mazda L Engines 0 02-26-2013 04:46 PM
Looking for more power! 2.3L turd DOHC - 2.3L Duratec / Mazda L Engines 6 12-28-2009 04:58 PM
Those looking for more fuel capacity whippersnapper02 General Ford Ranger Discussion 9 06-06-2009 07:59 PM
More cold weather, more idle trouble CAW General Technical & Electrical 8 04-03-2006 06:57 PM
Looking For More Smilies... Trevelyn1015 Ranger-Forums Office 32 11-08-2005 10:02 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:16 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.