OK cold air intake ? will it really........ - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


2.9L & 3.0L V6 Tech General discussion of 2.9L and 3.0L V6 Ford Ranger engines.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 06-30-2009
joshtank's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Winston GA
Posts: 1,240
Icon4 OK cold air intake ? will it really........

make a little more HP and will it suck more cold air in to the engine
or do i need to just run my intake tube in to a mini freezer?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-30-2009
whippersnapper02's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 7,415
I would do the intake last. Get exhaust, headers and tune first then the intake will help out more than just a few horsepower.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-30-2009
malydeen's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 632
you have a cold air intake from the factory.

Dont believe me? get yourself a scan gauge and set it to the IA*f setting. That is the air temp at your intake manifold. You will see that as long as you are moving the intake temps is no more then 2-3* more then the ambient air temp. When you are sitting still you may see as much as a 5-7* jump.

Dont waste your money.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-30-2009
joshtank's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Winston GA
Posts: 1,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
I would do the intake last. Get exhaust, headers and tune first then the intake will help out more than just a few horsepower.
i am getting exhaust and headers ..i am just trying to get my truck to breathe better and with the exhaust i cant make up my mind ....magnaflows or Gibson
i just want a nice deep sound with duals and dont want my truck to sounds like a rice tuner
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-30-2009
joshtank's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Winston GA
Posts: 1,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by malydeen View Post
you have a cold air intake from the factory.

Dont believe me? get yourself a scan gauge and set it to the IA*f setting. That is the air temp at your intake manifold. You will see that as long as you are moving the intake temps is no more then 2-3* more then the ambient air temp. When you are sitting still you may see as much as a 5-7* jump.

Dont waste your money.

i will try that it just so happens i have one of those
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-01-2009
malydeen's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshtank View Post
i will try that it just so happens i have one of those
When you first start it up it will be like 30* over the AAT but once you get it out and get air moving through the front end it you will see that temp drop off quite a bit.

If you want the truck to breath easier. Pull out the "snorkle" on the air box and drop in a K&N filter.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-01-2009
joshtank's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Winston GA
Posts: 1,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by malydeen View Post
When you first start it up it will be like 30* over the AAT but once you get it out and get air moving through the front end it you will see that temp drop off quite a bit.

If you want the truck to breath easier. Pull out the "snorkle" on the air box and drop in a K&N filter.
thanks

i already pulled the snorkle out of the box
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-01-2009
chillmiller's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: ruskin,fl
Posts: 162
ya want it to beath better get a tb spacer take a dremel and knife edge your tb lip just get a smooth maf to tb hose then p&p atleast your upper and lower intake manafolds
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-01-2009
joshtank's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Winston GA
Posts: 1,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillmiller View Post
ya want it to beath better get a tb spacer take a dremel and knife edge your tb lip just get a smooth maf to tb hose then p&p atleast your upper and lower intake manafolds
sry but TB spacers are a waste,,i think
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-01-2009
malydeen's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshtank View Post
sry but TB spacers are a waste,,i think
yup. All they do is make it sound cool.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-01-2009
04blackedge's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 23,426
I would first spend the money on the tuner, then once you have the tuner I would do intake, headers, exhaust and get a custom tune written for them. A intake on a stock tuned engine is a waste of money.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-01-2009
joshtank's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Winston GA
Posts: 1,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04blackedge View Post
I would first spend the money on the tuner, then once you have the tuner I would do intake, headers, exhaust and get a custom tune written for them. A intake on a stock tuned engine is a waste of money.
..ok what kind of tuning a programmer or what?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-01-2009
04blackedge's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 23,426
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-01-2009
joshtank's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Winston GA
Posts: 1,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04blackedge View Post
....i was thinking more on the lines of this Superchips Cortex, Superchips Programmer Cortex
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-01-2009
cchsbuzz19's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: North Canton, Ohio
Posts: 2,417
Get a Gibson Extreme Dual Exhaust, you won't be disappointed. I have it and love it. I also have the K&N Intake. and I would leave that to last. You don't notice any gains at all except for a little whistle noise when getting up to speed fast
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-01-2009
04blackedge's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 23,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshtank View Post
....i was thinking more on the lines of this Superchips Cortex, Superchips Programmer Cortex
You'll get much more power from custom tunes than canned tunes.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-01-2009
joshtank's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Winston GA
Posts: 1,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchsbuzz19 View Post
Get a Gibson Extreme Dual Exhaust, you won't be disappointed. I have it and love it. I also have the K&N Intake. and I
yeah i cant make up my mind cherry bombs or Gibson,,,,,,
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-01-2009
whippersnapper02's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 7,415
And when you do grab an intake don't get K&N. I had one and the "heat shield" it had looked like it was designed by a 12 year old.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-01-2009
joshtank's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Winston GA
Posts: 1,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
And when you do grab an intake don't get K&N. I had one and the "heat shield" it had looked like it was designed by a 12 year old.
lmfao
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-01-2009
OVERtheEDGE's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: locust grove georgia
Posts: 1,441
i like my k&n alot. i didnt buy it for hp gains because i knew i really wasnt gonna change much. i did buy it because you clean them instead of buying new filters and it looks good. oh and the k&n with the tb spacer makes a cool noise. it was worth it for sure. didnt pay anywhere near full price though
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 07-01-2009
whippersnapper02's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 7,415
I found a pic of mine. I would lose so much power just sitting in traffic because it would suck in all kinds of hot air.

Last edited by whippersnapper02; 09-29-2009 at 07:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-01-2009
Rapala's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 826
plyswithsquirels and I compared our K&N systems and we noticed that on the pre 04's the heat shield is crazy but on the 04+ its like the one pictured above. it makes a cool sucking sound, especially when I get on it... I only run a "cold air" intake so I can use the maf adapter... stupid ford and their molded in maf housings.... but a CAI will only net you about .5 hp if even that lol

throttle body spacers are for the carbed v8's dont waste your money if you are looking for cheap performance... if you wanna go fast get a car or fork out your arms a leg and maybe your left nut if you are going turbo or supercharged
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-01-2009
jaycheetwood's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ogden, Utah
Posts: 2,218
uhh dont go with K&N.. I have a volant and its great. filter is nice its breathes great. nice little rubble nothing loud up front. 1-2mpg change. i wouldnt say any faster accel cause thats mental ************.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-01-2009
Rapala's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 826
well theres a big difference here you have the 4.0.... lol... but yeah Volant ftw... only went with K&N because of a really good deal
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 07-01-2009
jaycheetwood's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ogden, Utah
Posts: 2,218
k&n pulls in hot air thats all, i like a drilled out stock box and a k&n drop in
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
cold air intake/ mass air flow sensor question RangerRunner96 2.9L & 3.0L V6 Tech 5 08-29-2008 02:01 PM
cold air Intake Snow Wolf SOHC - 2.3L & 2.5L Lima Engines 17 06-04-2006 09:00 PM
Cold air intake/filters RNGMSTR 2.3L & 2.5L I4 Tech 0 03-26-2006 10:54 AM
MAC 3.0 cold air intake? RicksTJR 2.9L & 3.0L V6 Tech 7 03-21-2006 07:27 AM
idea for a 04 3.0L cold air intake 04edge 2.9L & 3.0L V6 Tech 5 03-18-2005 10:07 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:18 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.