Squealing/Chirping Noise getting worse and worse... - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


2.9L & 3.0L V6 Tech General discussion of 2.9L and 3.0L V6 Ford Ranger engines.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 05-04-2007
pastfinder's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 1,252
Squealing/Chirping Noise getting worse and worse...

I have a 02 3.0L V6 and of recent I have an ungodly noise. At idle it is barely noticeable, but as soon as I accelerate, the noise increases considerably. It sounds like a chorus of crickets chirping or a squealing noise. I'm aware it may be the belt but I haven't had any issues with it of recent whatsoever until the past week and a half. As far as I know it is the original belt and I have roughly 67,000 miles on the truck. The squealing noise level and frequency changes with engine RPM. I figure a pulley or the belt is the culprit, but any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-04-2007
Silver's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: edenton,nc
Posts: 2,708
try the belt 1st

i had the same problem about two weeks ago

Last edited by Silver; 05-04-2007 at 11:56 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-04-2007
Marcaronio's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Spring Hill, FL
Posts: 560
LOL, you found my thread where I couldn't get the problem to go away but not my thread where I finally figured it out.

https://www.ranger-forums.com/forum2...ad.php?t=41707
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-04-2007
Silver's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: edenton,nc
Posts: 2,708
lol i read that thread
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-04-2007
pastfinder's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 1,252
Soooo...what is recommended is to replace the belt and clean the pulley surfaces?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-04-2007
Marcaronio's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Spring Hill, FL
Posts: 560
go in the reverse order of what i did. cheapest to most expensive.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-04-2007
pastfinder's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 1,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcaronio
go in the reverse order of what i did. cheapest to most expensive.

Joy...well, I guess I'll be removing the belt and checking it over, then cleaning the pulleys and reinstalling the belt (if not just replacing it) and see what effect that has on things.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-04-2007
Silver's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: edenton,nc
Posts: 2,708
you cant go wong with a new belt after so many miles
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-04-2007
pastfinder's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 1,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver
you cant go wong with a new belt after so many miles

True true...so long as the noise goes away. I'm tempted to get the underdrive pulleys for the amp and the water that underdog has. I need to check with my local advance auto to see if they have the gatorback belt to go with them.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-04-2007
Silver's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: edenton,nc
Posts: 2,708
get the belt from u-dog at the same time he has a 4 piece special now

its a shame i he did not have the special when i got mine but its on the list
for the other two pulleys
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-04-2007
pastfinder's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 1,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver
get the belt from u-dog at the same time he has a 4 piece special now

its a shame i he did not have the special when i got mine but its on the list
for the other two pulleys
I didn't see a special price...where's it at?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-04-2007
Silver's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: edenton,nc
Posts: 2,708
http://www.stuffforyourranger.com/st...a2600bc5e47ac8

not a bad deal but if you get the chance do the e-fan as well makes it easier lots more room to work
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-04-2007
bwester04's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Round Rock, Tx
Posts: 2,641
ugh i was glad to get rid of that damn squeal/squeaking belt noise when i traded my truck lol I replaced pulleys, changed belts, and it just would not go away.. I would have to sit sometimes in the driveway and wait for it to go away, or else it would squeak for miles down the road
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-04-2007
pastfinder's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 1,252
Well hell, I just went and ordered the underdrive amp and crank pulleys, plus the gatorback belt to go with it. I intend to clean up the surface of my pulleys and lube the tension pulley and see if that helps.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-04-2007
bwester04's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Round Rock, Tx
Posts: 2,641
Never the less, you're gonna love the power increase and the way the engine responds, much better! :) Good luck with em Frank!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-04-2007
pastfinder's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 1,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwester04
Never the less, you're gonna love the power increase and the way the engine responds, much better! :) Good luck with em Frank!
Thanks BJ :) I didn't order all three pulleys, just the two of them. I have no need for the other one, just the two.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-04-2007
V8 Level II's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,831
If you find that the belt/pulleys are not the problem, here is another not-so-pleasant possibility. It doesn't have to be this but it is another thing to think about as the miles accumulate.

The Synchronizer is an oddly named part that is actually just an adaptor for the Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor. It fits into the hole that would have housed the ignition distributor on an older version of the engine. The shaft is gear driven at right angles from the cam buried inside the block and its function is to get the rotation of the camshaft to a location where a CMP Sensor can be mounted and is accessible for service. It has an aluminum housing with a steel shaft turning inside and does not have pressure lubrication. Sometimes, after time and miles accumulate, the lubrication in the Synchronizer can dry up and the squeaking/chirping will begin.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-04-2007
pastfinder's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 1,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwenzing
If you find that the belt/pulleys are not the problem, here is another not-so-pleasant possibility. It doesn't have to be this but it is another thing to think about as the miles accumulate.

The Synchronizer is an oddly named part that is actually just an adaptor for the Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor. It fits into the hole that would have housed the ignition distributor on an older version of the engine. The shaft is gear driven at right angles from the cam buried inside the block and its function is to get the rotation of the camshaft to a location where a CMP Sensor can be mounted and is accessible for service. It has an aluminum housing with a steel shaft turning inside and does not have pressure lubrication. Sometimes, after time and miles accumulate, the lubrication in the Synchronizer can dry up and the squeaking/chirping will begin.

Hmmm...well, if it continues after the mods...looks like I'll be exploring for it. Thanks for the heads up Bob :)
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-04-2007
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: parkville,md
Posts: 70
frank let me know how the pulleys go. im debating it.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-04-2007
pastfinder's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 1,252
Can do David
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 05-04-2007
pastfinder's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 1,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwenzing
If you find that the belt/pulleys are not the problem, here is another not-so-pleasant possibility. It doesn't have to be this but it is another thing to think about as the miles accumulate.

The Synchronizer is an oddly named part that is actually just an adaptor for the Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor. It fits into the hole that would have housed the ignition distributor on an older version of the engine. The shaft is gear driven at right angles from the cam buried inside the block and its function is to get the rotation of the camshaft to a location where a CMP Sensor can be mounted and is accessible for service. It has an aluminum housing with a steel shaft turning inside and does not have pressure lubrication. Sometimes, after time and miles accumulate, the lubrication in the Synchronizer can dry up and the squeaking/chirping will begin.
For what it is worth, how should one go about lubricating this component? I dug around on RPS and my Haynes manual, and it looks like I need to remove the sensor, then pour oil down into the beast. Is this feasible?

Last edited by pastfinder; 05-04-2007 at 10:27 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 05-05-2007
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: parkville,md
Posts: 70
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-0-O...spagenameZWDVW
seems feasible. but once the noise starts there that should just be a band-aid treatment. id replace it might fail later. link is just for referance. hope it helps david
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05-05-2007
pastfinder's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 1,252
My plan, once I finish the draft of the paper I'm working on, is to remove the sensor and see if I can slowly pour some oil into the CMP and hope that capillary action will pull some of the oil into the inner workings (it should theoretically).
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-05-2007
V8 Level II's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastfinder
For what it is worth, how should one go about lubricating this component? I dug around on RPS and my Haynes manual, and it looks like I need to remove the sensor, then pour oil down into the beast. Is this feasible?
I don't know if it would work to lube the synchronizer in place, even if the sensor has been removed. I would suspect that there is a seal on the shaft to keep oil away from the sensor but who knows?

The "right" way would be to remove the sensor and synchronizer from the engine and disassemble to lube it. If it's squeaking now, there's is a good chance the aluminum has already galled. It doesn't like to be run dry. If you do remove the synchronizer, remember that it is timed to the cam and must go back in on the same gear tooth.

Don't get too excited yet. There's a good chance that it's your belt and pulleys.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 05-05-2007
pastfinder's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 1,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwenzing
I don't know if it would work to lube the synchronizer in place, even if the sensor has been removed. I would suspect that there is a seal on the shaft to keep oil away from the sensor but who knows?

The "right" way would be to remove the sensor and synchronizer from the engine and disassemble to lube it. If it's squeaking now, there's is a good chance the aluminum has already galled. It doesn't like to be run dry. If you do remove the synchronizer, remember that it is timed to the cam and must go back in on the same gear tooth.

Don't get too excited yet. There's a good chance that it's your belt and pulleys.
I removed the sensor earlier today and poured a small amount of motor oil on top of the gearing. Capillary action pulled it down. I turned things on and let the engine run for awhile. I then drove around a bit and the squealing stopped. I drove back to my apartment, and the squealing started again. I then went about and took a rag and held it at to the exposed pulley sections and ran the engine, wiping off all kinds of junk. I did this to the belt as well. Drove around some more and no more squealing. Drove about 30 miles and the squealing is all gone. As for what it was, seems most likely it was the belt and pulleys. I do know what the CMP is now....all the way in the back of the engine, haha.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chirping/Squealing noise...I'm baffled! Mcmuddy Drivetrain Tech 7 02-06-2015 03:55 PM
Chirping noise in engine 07 XLT 4x4 3l TD bentas General Ford Ranger Discussion 8 10-29-2013 09:41 PM
Loud Chirping Noise rightbackatyou General Ford Ranger Discussion 6 02-04-2013 07:08 PM
Squealing/sqeaking noise, very high pitched and varies under load 1996DangerRanger General Technical & Electrical 7 12-04-2011 03:50 PM
MPG's are getting worse 00xlt4x4 4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech 6 11-11-2007 08:09 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:48 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.