y pipe/catalytic converter trouble - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


2.9L & 3.0L V6 Tech General discussion of 2.9L and 3.0L V6 Ford Ranger engines.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 10-19-2008
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Angola NY
Posts: 162
y pipe/catalytic converter trouble

i cant believe im the only one who's had this problem. i wanted to do my exhaust from the block back for more power (obviously im a 3.0). so i bought a set of JBA headers, a magnaflow high flow y pipe, and a magnaflow catalytic converter. from the cat back is custom, but the problem is that the magnaflow y pipe is short where the header and the y pipe are supposed to meet on the passenger side by about 3 inches. i took it to 2 shops and both said it wouldnt fit. has anyone installed this y pipe? it claims to be a factory replacement fit.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-19-2008
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: unknown
Posts: 890
What you did wrong was you got the Y pipe. All you really needed was the JBA headers, the actual catalytic converter. You can make your own Y-Pipe dude. Or your local exhaust shop can make one for you. They could've sent the wrong one. Cause it's sounds like they sent you one for a 4 banger. I'd check and make sure you got the right one.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-19-2008
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Angola NY
Posts: 162
its the right one, the thing is i want it to be emissions compliant, and i wanted it to bolt on. every website this pipe is sold on says its a direct fit for the 3.0. heres a link to summit: http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-19-2008
ScottG's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Lewiston, Maine
Posts: 4,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightmare1015 View Post
What you did wrong was you got the Y pipe. All you really needed was the JBA headers, the actual catalytic converter. You can make your own Y-Pipe dude. Or your local exhaust shop can make one for you. They could've sent the wrong one. Cause it's sounds like they sent you one for a 4 banger. I'd check and make sure you got the right one.
how does a 4banger have a ypipe?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-20-2008
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: unknown
Posts: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
how does a 4banger have a ypipe?
Oops I missed typed it. Sorry about that. That is what I call the pipe off the header. Plus I was also talking about the older models that didn't have the inline 4 cylinder. You know like the old Ford Escort motors. I call all of them that out of a bad habbit.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-20-2008
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: unknown
Posts: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mac View Post
its the right one, the thing is i want it to be emissions compliant, and i wanted it to bolt on. every website this pipe is sold on says its a direct fit for the 3.0. heres a link to summit: http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Just go 2 into 1 from your headers is all you really have to do. Make sure that you install 2 catalytic converters and at the end have a resonator. I removed the resonator and mine will not pass emissions. here's a photo of what I'm talking about:

Name:  100_0002.jpg
Views: 970
Size:  115.5 KB

I'll post a better pic tomorrow of how mine is set up cause you can't really see it in this photo. So a better picture for tomorrow.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-20-2008
Fx4wannabe01's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (23)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Boring, Oregon
Posts: 21,721
2 into 1 is what a Y pipe does. He wants it to be a bolt on....I suspect that there might possibly be differences between a 4x4 model and a 2wd model. And the magnaflow Y pipe might possibly be for only one of those??? It's an idea. IMO, i'd have an exhaust shop do it all from the manifolds/headers back.

Original Poster.....Have the shops actually showed you why it doesn't fit your truck??? something in the way?? wrong bends? things of that nature. EDIT: Read again.....the exhaust shops you've taken it too couldn't make it work? With a short extention to fill that manifold/Y pipe pipe gap?

Ford escort engines ARE inline 4 cyls. Name me a non-inline 4 other than a Boxer engine(vw, porsche, subaru). Just trying to prove a point.

Last edited by Fx4wannabe01; 10-20-2008 at 01:53 AM. Reason: read original post again....
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-20-2008
CBFranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Tampa Bay Area
Posts: 1,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx4wannabe01 View Post
2 into 1 is what a Y pipe does. He wants it to be a bolt on....I suspect that there might possibly be differences between a 4x4 model and a 2wd model. And the magnaflow Y pipe might possibly be for only one of those??? It's an idea. IMO, i'd have an exhaust shop do it all from the manifolds/headers back.

Original Poster.....Have the shops actually showed you why it doesn't fit your truck??? something in the way?? wrong bends? things of that nature. EDIT: Read again.....the exhaust shops you've taken it too couldn't make it work? With a short extention to fill that manifold/Y pipe pipe gap?

Ford escort engines ARE inline 4 cyls. Name me a non-inline 4 other than a Boxer engine(vw, porsche, subaru). Just trying to prove a point.
Ford made a v4 for the German cars.

v4's are common in the marine outboard world.

Ducati makes a v4 for one of their bikes.

Just off the top of my head.

But I'd like someone to point me towards headers and y pipes for 3.0's because I cant find any. :(
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-20-2008
graniteguy's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,221
i wonder if standard cab vs extended cab could be the problem?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-22-2008
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Angola NY
Posts: 162
the shops that i took it to said the same thing. the drivers side fits but both told me it was short on the passenger side by 3-4 inches and the angle was wrong to the point that an extension wouldnt work. i havent looked at it myself but im going to contact magnaflow before i take it to another shop. the pipe is for a 2wd which is what ive got.
Quote:
But I'd like someone to point me towards headers and y pipes for 3.0's because I cant find any. :(
JBA headers all the way. Magnaflow y pipe? eh, not so good i guess. for all who are wondering or searching, the part number is 93110.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-22-2008
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Angola NY
Posts: 162
oh i forgot to mention that it bolts up to the cat just fine, its short where the header and the y pipe are supposed to meet on the passenger side.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-22-2008
Fx4wannabe01's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (23)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Boring, Oregon
Posts: 21,721
so have an exhaust shop extend the passenger side header pipe.....get the flange to proper height to mate with the manifold/header.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-22-2008
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Angola NY
Posts: 162
the shops i took it to wouldnt do it :(. i called magnaflow today and apparantly there are two kinds of y pipes for the ford ranger. one is "california" and the other "non-california". you can see where this is going. magnaflow makes thier y pipe to california spec, and my truck is (im assuming) non-california which is why it doesnt fit. no where on any website is this information present. im going to take the pipe to a stainless exhaust specialty shop tomorrow and prey they can do it.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Want to Buy: Catalytic convertors for Ford Ranger Edge 2001 3.0 (front y-pipe)(CA) Greatkiller Interior, Exterior, Electrical, & Misc. 6 09-04-2009 03:18 AM
2004 V6 3.0L Edge - Going to remove most rearward catalytic converter Jp7 2.9L & 3.0L V6 Tech 15 11-30-2007 10:54 AM
Exhaust Size after the 4th Catalytic Converter zabeard 4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech 31 07-18-2007 05:05 AM
catalytic converter How do you know FORZDA 2.9L & 3.0L V6 Tech 18 07-05-2007 11:08 PM
Catalytic converter seneca 2.9L & 3.0L V6 Tech 14 01-31-2006 08:57 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:13 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.