belt replacement - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech General discussion of 4.0L OHV and SOHC V6 Ford Ranger engines.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 08-21-2006
Lefty04LevelII's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: DFW
Posts: 1,447
belt replacement

a few nights back I had gotten stuck in a rain storm. I managed to get some of the underhood area slightly wet, one area in particular being the serpentine belt. I had 2 nice 5-7 sec long squeals of the belt slipping as a result. A couple of months ago I had Ford replace the idler and tensioner. The next morning after that storm one of those 2 was sqeaking again, but the sound is gone. But, since I had all that happen I went out and snagged a new belt. So 2 questions:

1) I picked up a gatorback. Part number 4060868 I believe. The motorcraft belt reads 862, so I assume that's 86.2inches and if so will the gatorback work or do I need a smaller belt? I searched some and noticed that for a little while autozone was off on the part number for our trucks.

2) How in the hell do you install this thing? LOL I've never installed one. I know I need to release the tension on the tensioner inorder to remove the old and place the new. But I just stared at the thing earlier today trying to figure it out. It was more like trying to figure out how I was going to get my hands in there and I'm a small guy (5'6"-5'7" ~136lbs...I'm a former distance runner that's running again I don't want to hear it LOL).
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-21-2006
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 208
holy crap...i almost made the exact same post around the time you did....how funny

im trying to find out what gatorbelt part number will work with my 4.0L SOHC. i bought one, and it didnt work...not sure of the model...whichever autozone had in their system for the 4.0....they dont show one for the SOHC, just the OHC??? I GUESS?

to install your belt:
take your air intake off, and get a breakerbar with a 3/8" ratchet end on it (no socket) (im not sure what the term is for this, it excapes me) put that sucker on your tenionizer and crank it counter clockwise ...the belt will loosen up, pull it off...make sure you pull the negative terminal off the battery so it doesnt accidentally start on ya....there is a sicker on your header that tells you how to put it back on....with a little thinking, you will get it...no need to take the fan off, even though it makes it easier
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-21-2006
jrpro130's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,057
You shouldn't need to take off the intake or battery terminal...I just did mine, it may be different b/c I'm a 3.0

Just take a 15mm socket and a nice big wrench (i used a torque wrench so it was easier) and take tension off of it, then slide off old, put on new.

I would go a hair smaller than your old belt. I got an 85 w/ my udp's and it was a struggle to put on with no tension on the belt, at idle with a/c and full crank on alt it is perfect, no slip whatsoever, I am about 1/2 way on the tensioner which is perfect...it will stretch out soon anyway!!!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-21-2006
gatorblue92's Avatar
RF Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Delaware
Posts: 8,238
there is a diagram on your front crossmember for the routing of the belt... it takes about 2 minutes to do if you have 2 people to do it... one under the truck to help route it and one to use the breaker bar... i have found it easiest to route the belt over all the pullys aside from the a/c and slip it on that last while reliveing the tension... as far as the part numbers go i have no idea which one you need
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-22-2006
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperSmurf
a few nights back I had gotten stuck in a rain storm. I managed to get some of the underhood area slightly wet, one area in particular being the serpentine belt. I had 2 nice 5-7 sec long squeals of the belt slipping as a result. A couple of months ago I had Ford replace the idler and tensioner. The next morning after that storm one of those 2 was sqeaking again, but the sound is gone. But, since I had all that happen I went out and snagged a new belt. So 2 questions:

1) I picked up a gatorback. Part number 4060868 I believe. The motorcraft belt reads 862, so I assume that's 86.2inches and if so will the gatorback work or do I need a smaller belt? I searched some and noticed that for a little while autozone was off on the part number for our trucks.

2) How in the hell do you install this thing? LOL I've never installed one. I know I need to release the tension on the tensioner inorder to remove the old and place the new. But I just stared at the thing earlier today trying to figure it out. It was more like trying to figure out how I was going to get my hands in there and I'm a small guy (5'6"-5'7" ~136lbs...I'm a former distance runner that's running again I don't want to hear it LOL).
According to the Goodyear site the 4060868 is correct.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-22-2006
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy02FX4
holy crap...i almost made the exact same post around the time you did....how funny

im trying to find out what gatorbelt part number will work with my 4.0L SOHC. i bought one, and it didnt work...not sure of the model...whichever autozone had in their system for the 4.0....they dont show one for the SOHC, just the OHC??? I GUESS?

to install your belt:
take your air intake off, and get a breakerbar with a 3/8" ratchet end on it (no socket) (im not sure what the term is for this, it excapes me) put that sucker on your tenionizer and crank it counter clockwise ...the belt will loosen up, pull it off...make sure you pull the negative terminal off the battery so it doesnt accidentally start on ya....there is a sicker on your header that tells you how to put it back on....with a little thinking, you will get it...no need to take the fan off, even though it makes it easier
According to the Goodyear site the 4060868 is correct if you have A/C and a 4060812 if you do not.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-22-2006
Rand's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Barberton,Ohio
Posts: 1,189
I'm pretty sure if you goto autozone they will give you the one for the
3.0 as their computer is wrong.. when you remove the old one make sure
they are the same size.. it shouldnt be any bigger.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-22-2006
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamRules
According to the Goodyear site the 4060868 is correct if you have A/C and a 4060812 if you do not.
THANKS!!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-23-2006
Lefty04LevelII's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: DFW
Posts: 1,447
I popped the 868 on earlier today, curiosity got the best of me. It fits no problem. Nice and snug.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-23-2006
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperSmurf
I popped the 868 on earlier today, curiosity got the best of me. It fits no problem. Nice and snug.

so you figured it out, thats good....told you it was purdy easy...gotta go find me that model number....autozone? advance? napa?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-23-2006
Lefty04LevelII's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: DFW
Posts: 1,447
it was autozone, got it for $28.99 plus tax = 31.06. Belt model # is 4060868 I believe. I have my old belt in the gatorback packaging and in my truck just incase the new belt takes a crap thousands of miles down the road.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Timing Belt replacement questions mikes96 SOHC - 2.3L & 2.5L Lima Engines 10 08-03-2010 02:11 PM
04 Tremor (V6 3.0) Serpentine Belt Replacement (Help!) 04_Tremor General Ford Ranger Discussion 3 10-27-2009 01:10 AM
1997 4 cylinder serpentine belt replacement wfclinton SOHC - 2.3L & 2.5L Lima Engines 7 10-08-2009 12:43 AM
Belt Tensioner Assembly Replacement On 2003 3.0L Edge HELMUT RONER 2.9L & 3.0L V6 Tech 17 12-07-2008 08:18 AM
timing belt replacement Tom98 General Technical & Electrical 6 01-09-2008 07:20 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:32 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.