Bosch +4 Plugs...again... - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech General discussion of 4.0L OHV and SOHC V6 Ford Ranger engines.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 04-14-2008
CJGSAY's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Up North, MN
Posts: 426
Bosch +4 Plugs...again...

I was just wondering if anyone on here had anything good to say about them, I know the majority of people on here say no, for those of you who have or DO run them I am interested in what you have to say about them, not just someone who will tell me that they used them once in some different engine or had a buddy who... blah blah blah... Real experience, Real stories only please. I am not looking to start a Motorcraft VS anything else plug thread...
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-14-2008
n3elz's Avatar
RF Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Kennett Square, PA
Posts: 10,620
They're working fine for me. Probably have about 30K on them right now. I also have a slightly hotter coil from Wayne at Underdog, but that's controversial also.

Still. No complaints.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-14-2008
Jimmeh's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Columbia Falls, MT
Posts: 3,224
I have Bosch Platinums in my Ranger right now. Haven't had any issues, although I do plan on doing another tune up soon. I'd probably buy them again.

I haven't heard issues about then though.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-14-2008
04 EDGE
Unregistered User
 
Posts: n/a
THESE PLUGS ARE GARBAGE AND DO NOT USE THEM!

serious, there no good.

personal experience, 96 probe GT, 50hp shot of juice, +4 plugs = melt down in cylinder 6 and lots of cash!!!!!!

these plugs are garbage. use motorcraft or autolites.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-14-2008
06fx4 L2's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SO CAL
Posts: 430
why would you sped 15 dollars on a spark plug??


JOSH
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-14-2008
leadfoot's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MA
Posts: 894
the E3's are supposed to be better than the bosch 4, with an aftermarket coilpack I don't know but I would like to try it.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-14-2008
04 EDGE
Unregistered User
 
Posts: n/a
E3, +4 there all garbage!

if you want to spend money then get iridium fine wire plugs.

some newer fords come stock with them. my 3.0 did.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-14-2008
CJGSAY's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Up North, MN
Posts: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06fx4 L2 View Post
why would you sped 15 dollars on a spark plug??


JOSH
Someone needs to find a new parts store.... $5.99?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-14-2008
CJGSAY's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Up North, MN
Posts: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04 EDGE View Post
E3, +4 there all garbage!

if you want to spend money then get iridium fine wire plugs.

some newer fords come stock with them. my 3.0 did.

Glad this thread has now turned into EXACTLY what I didnt want it to in less than an hour
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-14-2008
CJGSAY's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Up North, MN
Posts: 426
Once again not looking to find out if they were crap in your juiced up Probe, just curious of experiences in the 4.0 SOHC, with the Bosch +4, not motor craft double plats, or irrodiums, or E-3's. Just looking for +4 replies from 4.0SOHC engine. Sorry for any confusion....
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-14-2008
04 EDGE
Unregistered User
 
Posts: n/a
hey just sharing my personal and professional experience.

take them out and return them, tell the nimrods behind the counter that they made your truck run like crap.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-14-2008
CJGSAY's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Up North, MN
Posts: 426
But what if they don't? What if the results are the same as the other 2 above who have and are using them in their 4.0 SOHC without complaints, like John with 30K on them and no problems so far?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-14-2008
Johnbaum13's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 2,343
Which plug works best all depends on which motor it is. My Probe hated the +4s too. Frinds Avenger Hated the Platinums. Both those motoer ran best with a copper champion plug. Wife's Hyundai loves the +2 Platinums. My truck likes the iridiums, but then again, they were factory installed.

So to reiterate, If it wasn't a 4.0SOHC, negative experiences don't count here.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-14-2008
oldman_d's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: WA
Posts: 116
03 4.0 sohc

I did a tune up w/ the Bosch platiums and Napa wires. Started the truck up and it ran worse than ever before. I swore up and down it was the wires because at 7 bucks a plug it couldn't be them. Put the old wires back on and the truck ran even worse. Went down and picked up some cheap @$$ plugs and the truck actually ran BETTER then the Bosch's, but still ran bad. Finally a guy said if I had the iridium that I had to replace my plugs with iridiums. Well I didn't want to drop 11 bucks a plug so I ended up digging my old plugs out of the trash and with the NAPA wires the truck ran like butta. Been going strong for 28,000 miles now. That's my experience with them, I think it had more to do with the fact that they weren't iridium plugs though.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-15-2008
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Millington Tn
Posts: 132
Stick with the motorcraft plugs. You wont be disapointed, because they work.

****
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-15-2008
malydeen's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 632
I went to buy me a set of the +4's and the guy behind the counter (https://www.ranger-forums.com/forum2...ad.php?t=57322) told me to get the +2's. I cant remember his exact reasoning but he said something along the lines of they dont get gunked up as quick.

When I put mine in it ran like crap...then I found out that I forgot to connect one of the plug wires back up. Ive had them for 6 months/5k miles and have had no problems with them.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-15-2008
malydeen's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04 EDGE View Post
THESE PLUGS ARE GARBAGE AND DO NOT USE THEM!

serious, there no good.

personal experience, 96 probe GT, 50hp shot of juice, +4 plugs = melt down in cylinder 6 and lots of cash!!!!!!

these plugs are garbage. use motorcraft or autolites.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04 EDGE View Post
E3, +4 there all garbage!

if you want to spend money then get iridium fine wire plugs.

some newer fords come stock with them. my 3.0 did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04 EDGE View Post
hey just sharing my personal and professional experience.

take them out and return them, tell the nimrods behind the counter that they made your truck run like crap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman_d View Post
03 4.0 sohc

I did a tune up w/ the Bosch platiums and Napa wires. Started the truck up and it ran worse than ever before. I swore up and down it was the wires because at 7 bucks a plug it couldn't be them. Put the old wires back on and the truck ran even worse. Went down and picked up some cheap @$$ plugs and the truck actually ran BETTER then the Bosch's, but still ran bad. Finally a guy said if I had the iridium that I had to replace my plugs with iridiums. Well I didn't want to drop 11 bucks a plug so I ended up digging my old plugs out of the trash and with the NAPA wires the truck ran like butta. Been going strong for 28,000 miles now. That's my experience with them, I think it had more to do with the fact that they weren't iridium plugs though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shagmail View Post
Stick with the motorcraft plugs. You wont be disapointed, because they work.

****
GTFO! we dont want your type here anymore...
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-15-2008
Level I Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 3,657
Stay with Motorcraft double, or fine wire platinums! The previous owner of my Ranger installed Bosch, and they were causing a misfire problem, which was eliminated when I went with Motorcraft. With the Motorcrafts, you will have the correct heat range plug, and they work well with the opposite spark polarity of Ford's EDIS.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-15-2008
n3elz's Avatar
RF Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Kennett Square, PA
Posts: 10,620
Look at all the emotion and exclamation points over a set of plugs. Sheesh.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-15-2008
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Millington Tn
Posts: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by malydeen View Post
GTFO! we dont want your type here anymore...


UH..... I can take a joke as well as the next guy.......
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 04-15-2008
04 EDGE
Unregistered User
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by shagmail View Post
UH..... I can take a joke as well as the next guy.......
same here.

and for once i agree with bob..

i couldn't begin to tell you how many bosch plugs i have taken out and tossed in the garbage at work on customers cars!

they come in with a check engine light and complain of a rough running engine, after hooking up my scanner and finding the misfire codes i then pull a plug or 2 and sure enough, its a bosch plug.

bosch plugs are ok if you own a VW or BMW. and i still wouldn't use them if i owned one
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-15-2008
04 EDGE
Unregistered User
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by malydeen View Post
GTFO! we dont want your type here anymore...

wow GTFO!

thats harsh.

this is a information discussion forum right?

this is the internet right?

i need another cup of coffee BRB
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-15-2008
Level I Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 3,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04 EDGE View Post
same here.

and for once i agree with bob..

i couldn't begin to tell you how many bosch plugs i have taken out and tossed in the garbage at work on customers cars!

they come in with a check engine light and complain of a rough running engine, after hooking up my scanner and finding the misfire codes i then pull a plug or 2 and sure enough, its a bosch plug.

bosch plugs are ok if you own a VW or BMW. and i still wouldn't use them if i owned one
They run great in my gas Mercedes!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04-15-2008
n3elz's Avatar
RF Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Kennett Square, PA
Posts: 10,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeda View Post
They run great in my gas Mercedes!
Yeah, but I tried them in a diesel Mercedes and they didn't fit very well...
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 04-15-2008
04 EDGE
Unregistered User
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by n3elz View Post
Yeah, but I tried them in a diesel Mercedes and they didn't fit very well...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bosch Oxygen Sensor??? Starfire612 General Technical & Electrical 1 09-30-2014 11:02 AM
2001 3.0 fuel pump replacement, bosch kit, not whole assembly norco_man876 General Ford Ranger Discussion 1 03-05-2012 09:00 AM
Plug wires.. bosch vs. Other GearBoxKevin 4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech 6 08-10-2007 12:05 AM
Bosch Platnium +2 Spark Plugs b3kbruiser Ranger Products, Company, & Member Reviews 10 06-12-2007 07:06 AM
Bosch Platinum +2 Problem 98TexasRanger 2.9L & 3.0L V6 Tech 19 10-12-2006 08:06 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:59 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.