electric fan - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech General discussion of 4.0L OHV and SOHC V6 Ford Ranger engines.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 04-03-2008
RageRanger's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Westfield, Mass
Posts: 434
electric fan

just wondering if theres a electric fan setup that someone makes for a 06 ranger 4.0... Im lookin to try to get a lil better gas mileage and think a efan might get my a mile or 2 back... i want a setup that i dont have to worry about the truck overheating
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-03-2008
"Monster Truck"'s Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cedar Rapids, Ia
Posts: 203
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-03-2008
lifted97ranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Charlestown, IN
Posts: 1
get yourself a Taurus electric fan and a controller.....the Taurus fan/shroud will cover majority of the Ranger radiator...
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-04-2008
wydopnthrtl's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: SE, Mi
Posts: 2,342
Here is what I did to my 2006 FX4

My e-fan webe page
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-04-2008
RageRanger's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Westfield, Mass
Posts: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by wydopnthrtl View Post
Here is what I did to my 2006 FX4

My e-fan webe page
is that a flexlite kit??? .. also that jusnes modified kit looks pretty nice... what kinda mileage increases could i see with this and lets say a FPIK and a underdog pulley?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-05-2008
wydopnthrtl's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: SE, Mi
Posts: 2,342
The Jusnes kit is a better bang for the buck in several ways. First Bob is a R-F member and you can talk to him. He's a good guy and has a better price. There are also more folks here that have his kit and can give you specific tips.

Having said that.. I bought my fan and controller back before I had the ranger. I've used thier products on several other cars because IMO it's a top quality product line.
I bought the largest flex-a-lite "S-Blade" fan they have and their controller kit through summit. I think it was right at $200 or so when I got it about 4 years ago.
The fan is very quiet and smooth. Most of the time I can't even tell it's running. (no joke) That's why I put the blue LED light on the left side of the radio bezel!
Thier controller is a very very nice piece. It allows you to fully control the fan as well as run the fan at slower speeds to reduce the power consumption.
When the fan kicks on because of heat, AC, or in cab control it ramps up speed based on need. Only drawing 17amps max. It only runs at 60% to begin with and will increase in speed as needed.

As far as mileage.. IMO unless your towing and/or in the south you won't really see a increase from the e-fan. I didn't. It does however make the motor a bit smoother.

The underdrive pulley IMO is the second best bang for the buck on a ranger. Most definately worth the money. Better power and better MPG with out a doubt. My pulley web page

My K&N web page

Best bang for the buck in power and MPG is a X-cal 2 programmer.

Rich

Last edited by wydopnthrtl; 04-05-2008 at 07:50 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-05-2008
04blackedge's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 23,426
I've heard nothing but problems from people with the Jusnes kit an Bob is never on the forums anymore so... I'd get the Taurus fan or just do what Rich did and get a Flex Lite.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-05-2008
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Millington Tn
Posts: 132
I have a proform on my mustang. It went on pretty well. And seams to work good once I relocated the temp sensing bulb into the fins near the water return on the radiator. I haven’t driven it since I put the fan on because I did the fan and some other things during some down time while the mustang was getting repaired after the wreck way back in June 2004.

I did do some checking when I bought my Proform. Flex-a-Lite either makes the kit and sells them to proform or vice versa. Because they used to be identical to each other. Even the instructions were the same. Flex-a-lite's mustang one now looks different. I would rather have it than proform's for the mustang, but its too late now.

My only foreseeable problem is the AC wire connections. I don’t know how it’s going to work. With the air off I understand, and with the air on Max Air I understand but I don’t understand how it will work under non-max air conditioning. This is when the compressor cycles on and off. If its hooked up to the clutch power wire then the fan will cycle with the compressor. I think it would work better if it were on the whole time regardless of clutch activation.

But that’s just me and again I haven’t even driven the car in like 4 years so I haven’t stumbled across the issues to have them ironed out.

****
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-05-2008
Level I Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 3,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by wydopnthrtl View Post
The Jusnes kit is a better bang for the buck in several ways. First Bob is a R-F member and you can talk to him. He's a good guy and has a better price. There are also more folks here that have his kit and can give you specific tips.

Having said that.. I bought my fan and controller back before I had the ranger. I've used thier products on several other cars because IMO it's a top quality product line.
I bought the largest flex-a-lite "S-Blade" fan they have and their controller kit through summit. I think it was right at $200 or so when I got it about 4 years ago.
The fan is very quiet and smooth. Most of the time I can't even tell it's running. (no joke) That's why I put the blue LED light on the left side of the radio bezel!
Thier controller is a very very nice piece. It allows you to fully control the fan as well as run the fan at slower speeds to reduce the power consumption.
When the fan kicks on because of heat, AC, or in cab control it ramps up speed based on need. Only drawing 17amps max. It only runs at 60% to begin with and will increase in speed as needed.

As far as mileage.. IMO unless your towing and/or in the south you won't really see a increase from the e-fan. I didn't. It does however make the motor a bit smoother.

The underdrive pulley IMO is the second best bang for the buck on a ranger. Most definately worth the money. Better power and better MPG with out a doubt. My pulley web page

My K&N web page

Best bang for the buck in power and MPG is a X-cal 2 programmer.

Rich

Rich, didn't you say at one time that it will overheat with the e-fan if you idle for awhile?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-05-2008
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Millington Tn
Posts: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04blackedge View Post
I've heard nothing but problems from people with the Jusnes kit an Bob is never on the forums anymore so... I'd get the Taurus fan or just do what Rich did and get a Flex Lite.
And I donít know Bob Personally but I must assume that the kit he sells he doesnít produce himself. Your link to the fan page on his site says that what he sells is the Proform. So if there are problems its not because of him but rather Proform. Just like Wal-Mart. They donít make the products they sell but rather they resell. Thus they are resellers or retail outlets.


****
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-07-2008
wydopnthrtl's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: SE, Mi
Posts: 2,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeda View Post
Rich, didn't you say at one time that it will overheat with the e-fan if you idle for awhile?

With my underdrive pulley and the e-fan... on a 96F day it took about 45-50 minutes of me sitting still w/AC cranked for it to overheat.

So yes it will. Buuuut IMO traveling 100ft in 96F temps w/the AC cranked on max is not a normal situation. *If* I did that regularly I'd switch the one 18" fan to twin 16" ones instead. I'd also go back to the stock pulleys.

That particular situation has only happened to me about 2-3 times in my whole life. And the "fix" is very easy. Just turn the motor off and sit in the heat for a little while.

Rich
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-07-2008
Level I Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 3,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by wydopnthrtl View Post
With my underdrive pulley and the e-fan... on a 96F day it took about 45-50 minutes of me sitting still w/AC cranked for it to overheat.

So yes it will. Buuuut IMO traveling 100ft in 96F temps w/the AC cranked on max is not a normal situation. *If* I did that regularly I'd switch the one 18" fan to twin 16" ones instead. I'd also go back to the stock pulleys.

That particular situation has only happened to me about 2-3 times in my whole life. And the "fix" is very easy. Just turn the motor off and sit in the heat for a little while.

Rich
Your situation could easily happen in rush-hour traffic in the summer!!

Bottom line, you can't beat the stock mechanical fan/clutch setup, it's designed for the cooling capacity required!!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-07-2008
TrePaul86's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Gresham, OR
Posts: 1,369
Ehh... I'm thinkin about runnin twin 16in fans... Get with power and mpg and quiet the engine bay down, by getting rid of the fan that plows around a bunch of air!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fan Clutch vs Electric Fan DocProwler New Ideas 43 09-04-2014 08:37 AM
Electric fan ideas retaining AC fan bratman2 DOHC - 2.3L Duratec / Mazda L Engines 12 04-25-2014 05:26 PM
How-To: Install Electric Cooling Fan Using Volvo Fan and Relay elutheros Engine & Drivetrain 0 08-03-2011 05:34 PM
Fan clutch or Electric fan....??? CaptainScarlet General Technical & Electrical 19 03-19-2006 05:08 AM
Fan clutch went bad -- squeal/squeak -- going electric fan n3elz 2.9L & 3.0L V6 Tech 38 11-01-2005 05:34 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:34 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.