max power - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech General discussion of 4.0L OHV and SOHC V6 Ford Ranger engines.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 11-14-2009
fraser19's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: calgary alberta
Posts: 275
max power

what woule be the maximum power you could gate from a 4.0 soch? with out a turbo, supercharger or nitrous. also could you name some parts and there supposed power rateings for me?

so far this is all i know of

exhaust, headers, pullys, cold air intake and a tuner. i going too take a wild guess but putting those on my engiene should only get me too 230-250 mabey? i am kinda looking for 300 if its possible too do so safely.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-14-2009
01RangerEdge's Avatar
Scrambles the DeathDealer
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MO
Posts: 7,598
300 is unlikely for the mods your talking about.

You'd have to get serious about engine bores and $expensive$ parts

Mid 200's is pushing it with these mods as well but I don't know as much as these other guys on here.

With all the money you could spend on mods, you should look into a motor swap.

But again others will chime in with more knowledge
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-14-2009
fraser19's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: calgary alberta
Posts: 275
yep i though so. i know 300 is alot but i havent ever head any one say what the max expected power would be. even at 260 i think i would be happy, but if 300 is achivable well then why not. my insurance company will not cover me if i swap my engiene ither.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-14-2009
robert ray69's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: columbia,sc
Posts: 99
Are you talking bhp (207) or whp (165/170ish). If you`re talking wheel horsepower, you`re not gonna even come close to 250 with bolt-ons. You will be doing real good to net 200rwhp.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-14-2009
03bamaGT's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: B'ham, AL
Posts: 1,752
I would say around 200 maybe with bolt ons and a good tune. Fords OHC engines don't respond at all to simple bolt ons.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-15-2009
THE H.P FREAK's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: WINDSOR, ONTARIO
Posts: 136
Icon6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03bamaGT View Post
I would say around 200 maybe with bolt ons and a good tune. Fords OHC engines don't respond at all to simple bolt ons.
HI!... Totally disagree.......... My truck ran a best of15.98E.T completely bone stock. Most runs were around 16.01E.T.

I then added a ASP under driven crank pulley, 16" Derale electric fan, and built my own custom CAI. The truck then went 15.04E.T. Then I did the EGR mod and ported my TB. Truck then went 14.68E.T. Then I added 4.10 gears and a custom tune from Troyer Performance along with C/E front/rear drag shocks. Went 14.42E.T in N/A trim. Then I added a 40H.P dry shot and went 13.83E.T. The 4.0L SOHC responds very well to bolt-ons. Next will be a new tune, 75H.P shot and a FUDDLE 3500 stall. Shooting for low 13's next year.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-15-2009
fraser19's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: calgary alberta
Posts: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE H.P FREAK View Post
HI!... Totally disagree.......... My truck ran a best of15.98E.T completely bone stock. Most runs were around 16.01E.T.

I then added a ASP under driven crank pulley, 16" Derale electric fan, and built my own custom CAI. The truck then went 15.04E.T. Then I did the EGR mod and ported my TB. Truck then went 14.68E.T. Then I added 4.10 gears and a custom tune from Troyer Performance along with C/E front/rear drag shocks. Went 14.42E.T in N/A trim. Then I added a 40H.P dry shot and went 13.83E.T. The 4.0L SOHC responds very well to bolt-ons. Next will be a new tune, 75H.P shot and a FUDDLE 3500 stall. Shooting for low 13's next year.
yeah its nice too see some one with some nice imput. thanks man.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-15-2009
OVERtheEDGE's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: locust grove georgia
Posts: 1,441
i wouldnt do 300 hp on the stock bottom end.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-15-2009
fraser19's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: calgary alberta
Posts: 275
its just a number i can aim for if its that hard well i wont get it but it will go up from 207
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-15-2009
OVERtheEDGE's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: locust grove georgia
Posts: 1,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraser19 View Post
its just a number i can aim for if its that hard well i wont get it but it will go up from 207
buy headers and a tuner. and 4.10 gears. i think youll be very happy with that. if not then buy cams and new heads.

since i have the ohv im buying a mild cam heads headers and a tuner. no idea about what hp ill have but the dyno will tell me
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-15-2009
fraser19's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: calgary alberta
Posts: 275
i have 4.10 gears i have no idea were too find heads or cams tho. any clues? and just too make sure they have too be for a soch
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-16-2009
03bamaGT's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: B'ham, AL
Posts: 1,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE H.P FREAK View Post
HI!... Totally disagree.......... My truck ran a best of15.98E.T completely bone stock. Most runs were around 16.01E.T.

I then added a ASP under driven crank pulley, 16" Derale electric fan, and built my own custom CAI. The truck then went 15.04E.T. Then I did the EGR mod and ported my TB. Truck then went 14.68E.T. Then I added 4.10 gears and a custom tune from Troyer Performance along with C/E front/rear drag shocks. Went 14.42E.T in N/A trim. Then I added a 40H.P dry shot and went 13.83E.T. The 4.0L SOHC responds very well to bolt-ons. Next will be a new tune, 75H.P shot and a FUDDLE 3500 stall. Shooting for low 13's next year.
So your saying your truck picked up a full second with a CAI, underdrive, and a E-fan. Hard to believe. Sounds like somebody got the driver mod. You must have picked up unheard of HP gains from those 3 bolt ons. I wish I could get those gains on my 4.6, but it's impossible.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-16-2009
wydopnthrtl's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: SE, Mi
Posts: 2,342
The stock longblock doesn't like rpms above 5800-ish. The harmics get dirty.
So.. for a stock engine with bolt ons you'd be doing good to get 250 at the crank.

IMO these are worth the money.

Full exhaust
Underdrive pullies
K&N FIPK kit (but use a larger filter if possible)
Knife edge and shave the throttle body plates / screws
Remove the EGR
Clean the injectors
New fuel filter
High octane fuel
27deg timing from 3500rpms and up
13.0 -to- 13.2 A/F @ WOT

Rich
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-16-2009
Downey's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Muncy, PA
Posts: 8,470
^^^ rick your the man
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-16-2009
paintballer4758's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Renton, WA
Posts: 235
Tom Morana Racing Engines

These guys make almost everything for your 4.0
I don't know what kind of gains you would be gettin but im pretty sure they would be substantial
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-16-2009
whippersnapper02's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 7,415
Here is how I see it. You wanna go fast you buy something that has real potential to go fast. Fast usually means V8 or some type of forced induction from the factory. The 4.0 SOHC engines are just not meant to be fast. Also its a truck. How fast do you really think you can go? Also you won't be able to do anything but drive in a straight line. So if you want to go fast swap in a V8, buy a lightning or buy a sports car. I wouldn't waste my money on the 4.0 or 3.0.

Last edited by whippersnapper02; 11-16-2009 at 12:08 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-16-2009
fraser19's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: calgary alberta
Posts: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Here is how I see it. You wanna go fast you buy something that has real potential to go fast. Fast usually means V8 or some type of forced induction from the factory. The 4.0 SOHC engines are just not meant to be fast. Also its a truck. How fast do you really think you can go? Also you won't be able to do anything but drive in a straight line. So if you want to go fast swap in a V8, buy a lightning or buy a sports car. I wouldn't waste my money on the 4.0 or 3.0.
its not about going fast its about going faster my jetta is much faster than this truck but its not really a fast car. Im sure i can speek for most us when i say we would all like just a bit more power.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-16-2009
wydopnthrtl's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: SE, Mi
Posts: 2,342
Some of us just have a need to extract every last drop of efficiency. Some don't.

Rich
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-16-2009
whippersnapper02's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 7,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraser19 View Post
Im sure i can speek for most us when i say we would all like just a bit more power.
Most of us buy something with more power like a full size, sports car or a mid sized truck with more power. Remember that Rangers make the least power out of any small/midsized truck.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11-17-2009
fraser19's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: calgary alberta
Posts: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Most of us buy something with more power like a full size, sports car or a mid sized truck with more power. Remember that Rangers make the least power out of any small/midsized truck.
well because my insurance is 430/mo i am trying too stay away from sports cars
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 11-17-2009
THE H.P FREAK's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: WINDSOR, ONTARIO
Posts: 136
Icon6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03bamaGT View Post
So your saying your truck picked up a full second with a CAI, underdrive, and a E-fan. Hard to believe. Sounds like somebody got the driver mod. You must have picked up unheard of HP gains from those 3 bolt ons. I wish I could get those gains on my 4.6, but it's impossible.
HI!... I already have the driver mod. I have two other all out drag trucks.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11-17-2009
THE H.P FREAK's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: WINDSOR, ONTARIO
Posts: 136
Icon6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wydopnthrtl View Post
The stock longblock doesn't like rpms above 5800-ish. The harmics get dirty.
So.. for a stock engine with bolt ons you'd be doing good to get 250 at the crank.

IMO these are worth the money.

Full exhaust
Underdrive pullies
K&N FIPK kit (but use a larger filter if possible)
Knife edge and shave the throttle body plates / screws
Remove the EGR
Clean the injectors
New fuel filter
High octane fuel
27deg timing from 3500rpms and up
13.0 -to- 13.2 A/F @ WOT

Rich
HI!... Well mines been going to 6400 rpm for over 2 years now. No problems.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 11-17-2009
THE H.P FREAK's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: WINDSOR, ONTARIO
Posts: 136
Icon6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraser19 View Post
i have 4.10 gears i have no idea were too find heads or cams tho. any clues? and just too make sure they have too be for a soch
HI!... http://www.supersixmotorsports.com/p...1HeadsCams.pdf

http://www.supersixmotorsports.com/pdf/40SOHCTech.pdf
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tow max of a 2004 4.0L? larsen550 General Ford Ranger Discussion 14 05-31-2009 07:51 PM
2wd w/ 3" spindle lift = Max tire size? buzzair Wheels & Tires Semi-Tech 22 02-19-2006 11:27 PM
Max Spindle Lift rolla_guy72 Suspension Tech 25 01-23-2006 08:24 PM
Buzzing sound when Max A/C is on LiquidBullet General Technical & Electrical 6 07-06-2005 01:44 AM
Suspension Max Questions?? Sandog Suspension Tech 2 05-10-2005 08:46 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:43 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.