Removing a cat? - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech General discussion of 4.0L OHV and SOHC V6 Ford Ranger engines.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 07-25-2007
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Brookfield WI
Posts: 32
Removing a cat?

So I heard you can punch out a cat or remove it and I was hoping somone could clarify this for me. Is punching it out like taking all the **** out thats inside of a cat and what do I know to take out? Also if take out or punch out 1 cat will I still pass emissions?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-25-2007
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Norwalk, CT
Posts: 48
I dont know about punching it out, but when I got my custom exhaust done, they cut the last cat off and I just passed emissions in Connecticut last weekend. I think most recently built cars/trucks come with California emissions systems, so you can rip a cat off if you want, you just wont pass in Cali.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-26-2007
wydopnthrtl's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: SE, Mi
Posts: 2,342
I'm about the opposite of a tree hugger so don't count me as one based on my comments...

But removing a cat carrys with it a possible fine. A stiff one at that.

Also, and from a pure torque improvement standpoint.. you will gain a little on a stock motor. But not much at all.

You'll see significantly more power from things like a underdrive pulley or new tune.
If you really do have the motor operating at 4000+ rpms quite often.. then maybe a high flow version of a cat might help.

In reality freeing up the exhaust adds a little torque and shifts the curve a little higher. There is a possibility you'll loose a little down low too.


Rich
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-26-2007
Steve_O113's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Albany, OR
Posts: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by erave
So I heard you can punch out a cat or remove it
If you want to remove a cat just put some food in the back yard... punching a cat will get you introuble with PETA and its not very nice
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-27-2007
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Norwalk, CT
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by wydopnthrtl
I'm about the opposite of a tree hugger so don't count me as one based on my comments...

But removing a cat carrys with it a possible fine. A stiff one at that.

Also, and from a pure torque improvement standpoint.. you will gain a little on a stock motor. But not much at all.

You'll see significantly more power from things like a underdrive pulley or new tune.
If you really do have the motor operating at 4000+ rpms quite often.. then maybe a high flow version of a cat might help.

In reality freeing up the exhaust adds a little torque and shifts the curve a little higher. There is a possibility you'll loose a little down low too.


Rich

Yes generally most states/municipalities make it an offense to tamper with you exhaust system at all, but as long as you're not waking up the neighborhood and spewing black smoke out your tailpipe nobody should bother you about removing one cat.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-27-2007
5speedin2.3's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Livonia, Mi
Posts: 12
i removed a cat with my truck once... poor thing.....
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-27-2007
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Miami FL
Posts: 6
Screw the environment man, with the monte i run straight headers back out side exhaust, cats are just a clog in your exhaust, get rid of it....you can just gut the whole inside, easiest way is just shove a wrench in there and break everything inside as much as you can....if you dont want to do that, find someone that can just cut it out adn weld a piece of metal in there know what im saying, if you need metal guys i know a few all around the midwest area that i could probably set you up with
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-27-2007
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Fayetteville, NC
Posts: 1,966
Just leave it. The cats in the ranger flow really good and taking them out won't give you any power.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-28-2007
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Miami FL
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone
Just leave it. The cats in the ranger flow really good and taking them out won't give you any power.
proof?

if the stock cats pass emissions in california, they do NOT flow good
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
removing the cat rangerstepside 2.9L & 3.0L V6 Tech 25 10-07-2013 11:19 PM
removing cat, MIL eliminator, and front mount receiver hitch Rangerdanger1987 General Technical & Electrical 11 03-21-2010 10:15 PM
removing the 3rd cat JakeH05 4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech 0 05-08-2008 10:16 PM
Removing the third cat on an 05??? Deviousfred 4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech 11 08-04-2005 06:52 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:53 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.