LS1 powered Ranger? - Page 3 - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


8-Cylinder Tech If you are one of the few with a V8 engine in your Ranger, or if you dream of a Ranger with a V8 engine, this is the sub-forum for you.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #51  
Old 10-14-2008
CBFranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Tampa Bay Area
Posts: 1,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by karrbass4life View Post
Whoever put that LS1 into that R33 should be hung. Thats like getting a Supra throwing the 2JZGTE into the garbage in throwing in a LS1.
Meh, piston to piston.

The only swap that annoys me is LS series into Mazda RX's...it isnt RX if it has pistons!
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 10-14-2008
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Amarillo, Texas
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by karrbass4life View Post
Thats not a 460 thats a 302.

That blown propane burner is definitely a 545. I have emailed him back and forth several times.

While I am certainly no GM fan, the LS series of engines have proven themselves as powerful, reliable and relatively compact. That being said, about the only thing I would ever want to swap one into would be an RX7. Not particularly interested in seeing one in a Ranger.

I would not consider my engine a 'fully built' 545, as there are areas I limited myself in (cylinder head flow, cam lift are two) so as to not make it totally unstreetable. It idles at 900 rpm, the power brakes work (by some miracle of God) but it is freaking loud even with muffs and judging from my brief maiden voyage around the block, it is gonna be downright scary. However, I do not think I will be taking it on any extended roadtrips. lol

-James
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 10-14-2008
whippersnapper02's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 7,415
Anyone seen a LS1 in a Miata? There is a kit out there for it.

Last edited by whippersnapper02; 10-15-2008 at 12:23 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 10-14-2008
redranger4.0's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Firey depths
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by fddriver02 View Post
Anyone seen a LS! in a Miata? There is a kit out there for it.
Yes and I want one in a hardtop.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 10-15-2008
karrbass4life's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 3,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by fddriver02 View Post
Anyone seen a LS! in a Miata? There is a kit out there for it.
There was one that the LSX Shootout last weekend. It's crazy looking. There is also a LS7 swap kit for the Saturn Sky. It's like $75,000, so doubt there are many.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 10-15-2008
Stryker's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Posts: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by getFOCUSd2point0 View Post
actually the super snake makes 600 + hp and if thats not enough, they can upgrade it for you to make over 700 hp......its the gt500 with a KB blower, but it comes from the factory that way and of course a larger price tag
the GT500 doesnt make 600+ hp... if u get the GT500KR u get about 540. if u put a different blower on it, its no longer a factory motor.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 10-15-2008
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Elkins, wv
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
the GT500 doesnt make 600+ hp... if u get the GT500KR u get about 540. if u put a different blower on it, its no longer a factory motor.

i'm talking about the super snake edition. it comes with 605 (???) hp with a warranty, or they can upgrade it to around 725 hp without a warranty
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 10-15-2008
HAZZARDJOHN's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Wyoming MN
Posts: 2,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBFranger View Post
...it isnt RX if it Isn’t burning oil and running like crap!
Fixt!
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 12-24-2008
JCS30TH's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bradenton, Fl
Posts: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by cghstrojan08 View Post
Please do not put GM in a Ford. That is the most retarded thing I have seen.
I disagree. Ford never has or never will have any engine that compares to the LS series. I would kill to be able to put on in my Ranger.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 12-24-2008
robert99ranger's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Indiana/Mississippi
Posts: 5,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCS30TH View Post
I disagree. Ford never has or never will have any engine that compares to the LS series. I would kill to be able to put on in my Ranger.
Ok?
Reply With Quote
  #61  
Old 12-24-2008
sniper_101's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Sask, Canada
Posts: 1,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCS30TH View Post
I disagree. Ford never has or never will have any engine that compares to the LS series. I would kill to be able to put on in my Ranger.
Cost wise? I concur . . .

This thread died for a reason, no need to bring it up just to argue.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 12-25-2008
SparkYZ's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Granada Hills, CA
Posts: 679
I believe the mod motors (4.6-5.4) are as well designed as the LSX series.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 12-25-2008
mj550's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkYZ View Post
I believe the mod motors (4.6-5.4) are as well designed as the LSX series.
Yeah but being ohc, they have more moving parts that can break/wear.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 12-25-2008
SVT01RANGER's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: West Eugene, OR
Posts: 3,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBFranger View Post
Personally, I'd do an LS2. Best of all, my MPG would probably improve and the truck would weigh about the same. The torque curve would be better than the 5.0 as well.

400hp in a 3400lb truck.

to hell with the LS2, i'd go all out, and go LS7, 505 HP bone stock
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 03-31-2009
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: attleboro
Posts: 26
an Ls1 would be cool in a ford then again i have a 79 malibu i was a gm guy long b 4 the fords but like em equally i wouldnt mind an ls7 anyhow hope the swap goes through
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 03-31-2009
TheStig88's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Columbia, Missouri
Posts: 2,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycheetwood View Post
Wow did anyone see that the ranger on RPS with the 545 is.. BLOWN.... i would guess that would rape.

EDIT

Blown:



i'm totally getting a hard on for this truck
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 03-31-2009
v-8 power's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Huntington, In
Posts: 10
If you have a GM engine to put in, go for it. It's not the most popular choice but oh well.

I have a video of a dodge neon with a built 350 in it, the guy here in town brings it to car shows. pretty cool sounding.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 05-16-2009
DetroitStyle's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: St Clair Shores
Posts: 32
an LS1 in an Ranger would make for a hell of a truck.

Don't worry about listening to the haters, they'll be too far behind you to hear them anyway.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 05-26-2009
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Baytown, Tx
Posts: 9
hang on a tick

It depends where the LS1 came from...from camaros they only made 305 hp at the crank, if it came from a caprice they only made 275hp. Any V-8 in a ranger would be a huge gain over stock, but since a stock LS1 camaro could just hang with a 4.6l stang bragging rights are a littl premature. My buddy had a 5.9l hemi in his R/T Dacota, my 3/4 4x4 gmc with a 6.0l (intake,exhaust,chip'd) 6in lift and 35 in bfg A/T smoked his **** 2 out of 3 races. Late model ford v-8's are damn near free-reving, chevy's second, Hemis breathe the slowest....not saying dont mess with an ls1 just saying numbers on paper dont allways match what happens on the street. And take VERY good care of the water pump, its mounted above the distributer if it starts leaking you are buying a 300 dollar part. Never did understand why they placed it there
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 05-27-2009
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Amarillo, Texas
Posts: 23
FYI

1. Dakotas were never available with any Hemi, new, old or otherwise.
2. The new truck Hemi's are 5.7L
3. 5.9L R/T Daks are slow.
4. LS1's DO NOT use the opti-spark mounted by the water pump. That would be an LT1. LS1's do not have a distributor.

That is all.
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 09-11-2009
JCS30TH's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bradenton, Fl
Posts: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98budget302 View Post
It depends where the LS1 came from...from camaros they only made 305 hp at the crank, if it came from a caprice they only made 275hp. Any V-8 in a ranger would be a huge gain over stock, but since a stock LS1 camaro could just hang with a 4.6l stang bragging rights are a littl premature. My buddy had a 5.9l hemi in his R/T Dacota, my 3/4 4x4 gmc with a 6.0l (intake,exhaust,chip'd) 6in lift and 35 in bfg A/T smoked his **** 2 out of 3 races. Late model ford v-8's are damn near free-reving, chevy's second, Hemis breathe the slowest....not saying dont mess with an ls1 just saying numbers on paper dont allways match what happens on the street. And take VERY good care of the water pump, its mounted above the distributer if it starts leaking you are buying a 300 dollar part. Never did understand why they placed it there
Fail. LS1's were underrated.......most Fbody's put down over 300 at the rear wheels.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 09-11-2009
HAZZARDJOHN's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Wyoming MN
Posts: 2,400
BTW, he is using LT1 numbers for his comparison. LS1's were NEVER in a caprice stock. Camaro LS1's are 325 HP (at the crank) and a vette and GTO was 350. With a tune and an intake easily flirt with the 400 HP mark. A (non Cobra) 4.6 Mustang can not "hang" with a 2002 Camaro stock for stock.

~HJ
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 09-11-2009
HAZZARDJOHN's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Wyoming MN
Posts: 2,400
BTW, I jsut looked up an old Motor trend test from 2002 with the LS1 Camaro VS the Supercharged Cobra and here are the quarter mile times.

Camaro SS 13.49/107.34
Cobra Mustang 13.79/103.34

Now the LS1 is almost obsolete in the The LS engine market now. And mind you a stock camaro SS will get high 20's for gas mileage and over 30 on long trips. I have been dissapointed in ford for years, lower HP and torque, lower fuel economy. The only reason I see that the mustang is around and the F-body died, was the price. Mustangs were/are cheap and fast, while camaros and transams were better in performance, but priced way to high and they were flirting with the cheaper vettes in price towards the end. They are about 5-10 years behind (see The marauder and the corwn Vic, they are just now flirting with the successful LT1 series B-body of GM that ended in 1996 to make room for more SUV builds). Although I see good things in the future from ford. The other two? Not so much.

~HJ
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 09-13-2009
Ranger_Envy's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Newton, Ks
Posts: 845
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAZZARDJOHN View Post
BTW, I jsut looked up an old Motor trend test from 2002 with the LS1 Camaro VS the Supercharged Cobra and here are the quarter mile times.

Camaro SS 13.49/107.34
Cobra Mustang 13.79/103.34

Now the LS1 is almost obsolete in the The LS engine market now. And mind you a stock camaro SS will get high 20's for gas mileage and over 30 on long trips. I have been dissapointed in ford for years, lower HP and torque, lower fuel economy. The only reason I see that the mustang is around and the F-body died, was the price. Mustangs were/are cheap and fast, while camaros and transams were better in performance, but priced way to high and they were flirting with the cheaper vettes in price towards the end. They are about 5-10 years behind (see The marauder and the corwn Vic, they are just now flirting with the successful LT1 series B-body of GM that ended in 1996 to make room for more SUV builds). Although I see good things in the future from ford. The other two? Not so much.

~HJ
Are you sure thats for an 03 Cobra? No way it would trap 103 mph. The LS1 is one bad *** motor, you guys need to get over that Ford has nothing to compete with it. I'm a former LT1 owner and understand the LS1 hate, its just so perfect. It won't do you any good to hate on it though.

I guess you could always swap LSX heads on to a SBF.
LS1 Heads on a Ford - Mustang Forums at StangNet
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 09-13-2009
Roach2004's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 8,320
I thought about putting an LS1 in my truck they are pretty cheap from what I have seen on LS1Tech. They are small and lightweight which makes it a good candidate.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone ever seen a Ranger with an LS1? Zjvdwerf12 General Ford Ranger Discussion 4 06-11-2014 03:29 PM
i just got a ls1 for the truck xlt87 8-Cylinder Tech 47 07-01-2011 04:18 PM
4BT Cummins-Powered Drag Ranger... wow!!! Snow Wolf General Ford Ranger Discussion 5 02-16-2010 07:11 PM
5.0 vs LS1 94greenmachine General Ford Ranger Discussion 31 01-31-2008 02:32 PM
LS1 Engine+Gorgous Ranger TT Biz General Ford Ranger Discussion 14 06-09-2007 09:18 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:21 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.