Mod stock head unit to enable aux-in? - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


Audio & Video Tech General discussion of audio and video for the Ford Ranger.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 05-22-2009
the.hatter's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Auburn, IN
Posts: 62
Mod stock head unit to enable aux-in?

Saw this listing on Ebay:

Ford CD Cassette Radio Ranger MP3 Ipod SAT AUX input:eBay Motors (item 350181484809 end time Jun-19-09 17:56:59 PDT)

If I am reading this correctly, the guy wired in an auxiliary input jack in the back of a stock cassette/cd player. It's enabled by pressing the 5 button.

I would love to do this to mine (same head unit). Anyone know how, and if this is something a semi-novice could do? Currently I just use a cassette player adapter, but I would love to have a better sounding, hidden solution where I could mount the input down by the cupholders or something. I wanna keep the stock look so not going to purchase an aftermarket head unit, or spend a lot of $ to do this. DIY FTW!

Thanks!

Pic (alive for now lol):

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-22-2009
RangerNDog's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (10)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Harrisonburg, VA
Posts: 1,958
I have never seen this done before. I would also like to know how he did this.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-22-2009
pace51's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: on da puter
Posts: 711
what about buying a new ford radio with the aux input built in? Don't know for sure but I'm sure it is offered in the rangers. I know my F-150 has it.

Will cost a few bucks, but if it's the look your going for, then it's worth it right?

Other than that I would not buy from this guy. He speaks real bad english or doesn't know how to use spell check.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-22-2009
07rangersport's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Maple Ridge CANADA
Posts: 800
Why not buy an aftermarket one? Most come with aux inputs. Can be had cheaper than that too
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-22-2009
the.hatter's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Auburn, IN
Posts: 62
Emailed him, and for $60 I can mail him my unit, he will wire the aux in jack, and ship it back. So assuming $15 for me to ship it to him, that's around $75 to have him do this.

He has 100% positive feedback on Ebay so I think he is trustworthy, just his last name is Nguyen so I'm guessing he's foreign lol.

I might research this some more and see if I can figure out how to do it myself. If not I don't know if it's worth $75.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-22-2009
RangerNDog's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (10)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Harrisonburg, VA
Posts: 1,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by pace51 View Post
what about buying a new ford radio with the aux input built in? Don't know for sure but I'm sure it is offered in the rangers. I know my F-150 has it.

Will cost a few bucks, but if it's the look your going for, then it's worth it right?

Other than that I would not buy from this guy. He speaks real bad english or doesn't know how to use spell check.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07rangersport View Post
Why not buy an aftermarket one? Most come with aux inputs. Can be had cheaper than that too
The stock one came free and I don't have the money to buy another one. Sucks being broke.


Quote:
Originally Posted by the.hatter View Post
Emailed him, and for $60 I can mail him my unit, he will wire the aux in jack, and ship it back. So assuming $15 for me to ship it to him, that's around $75 to have him do this.

He has 100% positive feedback on Ebay so I think he is trustworthy, just his last name is Nguyen so I'm guessing he's foreign lol.

I might research this some more and see if I can figure out how to do it myself. If not I don't know if it's worth $75.
Keep me posted on what you find, I'll do the same. Check out his ebay store Here. I found some that have the AUX input in the front of the radio like this one

Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
eBay / Craigslist Find: Selling my P.I.E. Aux. input converter FRDN-AUX on eBay - Indiana the.hatter Interior, Exterior, Electrical, & Misc. 3 06-27-2012 01:16 PM
eBay / Craigslist Find: Selling my P.I.E. Aux. input converter FRDN-AUX on eBay the.hatter Interior, Exterior, Electrical, & Misc. 1 06-27-2012 10:58 AM
No bass when Switched to CD or AUX on head unit. Ranger2.394 Audio & Video Tech 1 05-23-2012 01:12 AM
Need help for aux input on alpine head unit black-n-blue Audio & Video Tech 2 01-01-2009 11:07 PM
Plugging In Composite Plugs Into My Stock Head Unit? Trevelyn1015 Audio & Video Tech 30 01-07-2005 10:18 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:31 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.