truck broken into - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


Audio & Video Tech General discussion of audio and video for the Ford Ranger.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 08-16-2005
dangerranger's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: muskego, wi
Posts: 536
truck broken into

My truck got broken into and my stereo system stolen about 2 months ago i got a new sub, box, amp, and headunit. I was trying to think of ways i could hide it all in the truck (custom box or something) so i doesnt happen again anyone got any ideas?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-16-2005
jtslmn720's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Kent State, Kent Ohio
Posts: 7,367
ive seen people use those roll covers like in the back of expolorers to cover them up... it takes some modding to get to work but it hides it all
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-16-2005
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
dont buy that auido stuff, that would be the easiest
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-16-2005
winks's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Jackson, New Jersey
Posts: 4,872
^^^ good idea. I would suggest mounting the amp under your seat. My 240w 2 channel pioneer fits there excellent. If you don't need much power, that's a great amp to look into. If you were to create your own sub box with a down firing sub, and carpet it the color of your interior, that would hide the sub well.

One thing though, this is all good in the case that you have somebody looking into your cab, but if they hear you booming around the corner before you park the truck, then they'll know what you have in there, doesn't matter if its hidden or not.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-16-2005
dangerranger's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: muskego, wi
Posts: 536
Well i already have all the new stereo equiptment. MY amp is to big to fit under the seat. i have a roll cover and 5% tint but obviously that didnt help much. 7 different people i know have had there systems stolen within a week of mine i shouldnt have got all new stuff and kinda regret it now, but i got it so its going in. Systems are the coolest thing to have around here No matter if you got a big truck, lowrider, or little foreign car.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-16-2005
winks's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Jackson, New Jersey
Posts: 4,872
Then trying to hide it is not your option...
If you've got 5% tint, there's practically no way they would be able to see in. Either its somebody you showed your system to, or they were around the area where they could here the system was big when you were playing it. They probably followed you to your place and waited for you to go inside at night then took everything.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-16-2005
Roach2004's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 8,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerranger
7 different people i know have had there systems stolen within a week of mine.
Sounds like it might be somone ya'll know!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-16-2005
rideac1's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: New Kensington, PA
Posts: 1,087
Anyone ever hear of a security system?
Get a place around you to install a decent one, probably at least 200$, but at least you can have whatever equipment you want and not worry as much about the break-ins.
My box is bolted to the floor and is really heavy, I can't put it in myself, and my amps are screwed down from the bottom ( you have to unbolt the whole box and remove the amp rack to get to the amps, takes me 30min and I know how to do it and have all the tools ).
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-16-2005
Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: McKinney, TX
Posts: 2,123
Get a kickass alarm with a microwave sensor and a pager.

I bought a garage with a house attached to it. My stereo is also pretty low key. About the only thing visible is the head unit, which I always take with me when I
m not parked at home.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-16-2005
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Acworth, GA
Posts: 2,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerranger
. Systems are the coolest thing to have around here No matter if you got a big truck, lowrider, or little foreign car.
Lol i just had to quote this because it made me lol for a while.

So you have a system to make other people think you are the "coolest"?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-16-2005
GrafixGuy's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Montgomery, AL
Posts: 8,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by winks
Then trying to hide it is not your option...
If you've got 5% tint, there's practically no way they would be able to see in. Either its somebody you showed your system to, or they were around the area where they could here the system was big when you were playing it. They probably followed you to your place and waited for you to go inside at night then took everything.
Thats kinda creepy.........guess you could buy a security system? I don't really know anything bout that stuff.....other then that BOLT IT DOWN w/ custom bolts.....I'm gonna do that w/ my euros I found a place that makes this strange torx bit that you need to get them off....
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-16-2005
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Acworth, GA
Posts: 2,099
torx bits are pretty popular actually. They are all over the place on newer vehicles.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-17-2005
Shalafi49's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Altamonte Springs FL
Posts: 2,070
Torx bits of varying sizes, lock nuts that require a special key to unscrew them, since you drive a Ranger, use Jeep locks to throw off a prepared attack.
Never listen to your system loud within 2 or more miles of your house.
I agree, downfiring subs, bolted to the floor with carpet over it is a great idea.
Also agree get a security system but DO NOT, unless you absolutely have to, let a shop install it unless you know the people. The problem is they install all the systems the same way and it's predictable. Thieves know the "brain" is installed in 1 of a couple places. They find that and they're good to go. If at all possible get someone or people you know well to install it. Add dummy wires (wires that are just there to look like they are in use, but not really), put the "brains" in a completely different and hard to get to place (area behind jump seats if you have them), hide the wires too. Get an alarm that will alert you if it detects motion, broken windows etc...
Take the faceplate with you.
If you want to really be hardcore, try not to take the same path home every day. If people are watching on one path, when they don't see you they think you've changed schedules. If they know your schedule, they know when you will and wont be around your truck.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-17-2005
dangerranger's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: muskego, wi
Posts: 536
^^^^^that is why i didnt want to get an alarm installed my friend had one installed after his car was broken into then he got a new system. The night he put in his new system it got stolen along with the alarm in his driveway the first time was in a Sentry parking lot in the middle of the day and where i live its all farm fields not like the city or something. And no systems dont make you the coolest its just nice to have the best and loudest one.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-18-2005
karrbass4life's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 3,072
There are these security systems out i heard that have 220 volts wired to the door handles, the current i suppose goes off with the alarm, so you HAVE to try to be breaking in. I personally want to see one of these if it's true.

get a VIPER alarm... nothing pisses of theifs like "VIPER ARMED!" cause we all know that "alarm" our trucks come with is a pos PATS system.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-18-2005
karrbass4life's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 3,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalafi49
Torx bits of varying sizes, lock nuts that require a special key to unscrew them, since you drive a Ranger, use Jeep locks to throw off a prepared attack.
Never listen to your system loud within 2 or more miles of your house.
I agree, downfiring subs, bolted to the floor with carpet over it is a great idea.
Also agree get a security system but DO NOT, unless you absolutely have to, let a shop install it unless you know the people. The problem is they install all the systems the same way and it's predictable. Thieves know the "brain" is installed in 1 of a couple places. They find that and they're good to go. If at all possible get someone or people you know well to install it. Add dummy wires (wires that are just there to look like they are in use, but not really), put the "brains" in a completely different and hard to get to place (area behind jump seats if you have them), hide the wires too. Get an alarm that will alert you if it detects motion, broken windows etc...
Take the faceplate with you.
If you want to really be hardcore, try not to take the same path home every day. If people are watching on one path, when they don't see you they think you've changed schedules. If they know your schedule, they know when you will and wont be around your truck.
We forgot build a garage, buy/rent a house/apartment with a garage, buy a very angry pit bull...
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-18-2005
Shalafi49's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Altamonte Springs FL
Posts: 2,070
So you've bought into the media inspired pit bull frenzy....good job.
They are great dogs and in my opinion the best you can get. If they are raised wrong sure you will have problems and that is what the problem is. They are the dog of choice for improper raising and so have become a target.....ridiculous....the media makes me sick and people that don't think for themselves make me sicker.
No I'm not assuming you're like that but that comment doesn't inspire me to believe otherwise....
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-18-2005
karrbass4life's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 3,072
IM not talking about your nice fun loving pit... im talking about fighters the ones that fight to the death, those are the guard dogs im talking about.

And tust me i know all about the media and how they like to bend stories, and play with words, you could get shot once, and they say shot 5 times. They want that impact, and eye opener story. But in Cincinnati every pit bull HAS to have a barcode tattoo on it's back, it's illegal to own them and not have that. People around here use them in dog fights which is bull****. I say throw the owners in the ring. People get scared of dogs, not matter what shape or size. But bigger dogs scare easier than a smaller dog, or sogs with a bad history like the Pit Bull, they are a great dog, but because of attacks that are shown nationwide, and their fighting abilities they get a bad rep. So my little Pit Bull comment was actually the sterotypical pit bull, not your little fluffy or w/e you would have run around your house and let your kids play with.

Last edited by karrbass4life; 08-18-2005 at 12:46 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-18-2005
rideac1's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: New Kensington, PA
Posts: 1,087
Where's the pit bull supposed to stay, in the truck?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
truck broken into Schlitter22 General Technical & Electrical 8 01-11-2010 08:12 PM
truck got broken into billabong98z General Technical & Electrical 32 10-12-2009 09:15 PM
Truck got broken into yellow rhino General Ford Ranger Discussion 75 10-01-2009 07:35 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:18 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.