Wiperblades - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


Auto Detailing 101 General discussion of auto cleaning and detailing. Learn tips and tricks to keep your Ford Ranger looking its best.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 09-26-2008
05Edge-04GT's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Illinois
Posts: 399
Wiperblades

I need a really good set that will last. I've used many different kinds and they all don't seem to last. I always have rain-x on the windshield which works awesome but the wiper blades always streak. When they are new their ok but that doesn't last long. I need a set that will last at least a year and actually remove the water. Any recommendations?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-26-2008
My91Ranger's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Roseville, Michigan
Posts: 2,252
I'm using Rain-X wiper blades, i've been rather happy with them have worked well for me for the past 8 months.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-26-2008
whippersnapper02's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 7,415
I want to try the new Latitude blades from Rain-X.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-26-2008
04BlackFX4's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Maine
Posts: 1,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by fddriver02 View Post
I want to try the new Latitude blades from Rain-X.
I had them on my old ranger.. They were good, but i still noticed slight streaking from them..
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-26-2008
swamper06's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: McAdoo, PA
Posts: 735
Bosch Icons. FTW
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-26-2008
02oregonedge+'s Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: OR!
Posts: 1,086
^x2. Those have the new style with one pressure point instead of 3. Which makes an even wipe of the window and a clean streak free view!!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-26-2008
logan03CO's Avatar
Member

iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamper06 View Post
Bosch Icons. FTW

Best blades made! Big $$ as far as blades go...but worth it!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-26-2008
htjunkie's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The Lone Star State
Posts: 1,286
I'm running the Rain-X blades as well, and still had streaking/chattering. I found these at a local truck stop. no more streaking or noise. Work great. 5.00 a pair. Name:  j31.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  4.3 KB Name:  j30.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  4.3 KB They're called "wiper huggies"
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-27-2008
Machine090767's Avatar
RF Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 6,410
your wiper blade lasts as long as weather permits. if you use your wipers every day, for hours at a time, or like to use them while mudding, they won't last as long as someone who uses them once a month. it really isn't the wipers themselves, but how much they are used. the "triple edge" or "silicone" or whatever wipers are just marketing gimmicksto get suckers to pay $15-$25 per wiper, when a set of normal wipers costing $10 can do just a good of a job. and last the same amount of time. which is normally 6-9 months.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-27-2008
DisturbedESV's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 3,115
Also make sure you spray fluid when it firsts start raining each time. That helps clean off some of the stuff that causes streaking... getting a good fluid can help a lot... I have stuff private labeled by the company I work for that actually fights against road film. I have to spray when I start the wipers and then they work like a charm (just standard ones... nothing fancy) otherwise they will streak.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-27-2008
04BlackFX4's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Maine
Posts: 1,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgeaholic (tm) View Post
your wiper blade lasts as long as weather permits. if you use your wipers every day, for hours at a time, or like to use them while mudding, they won't last as long as someone who uses them once a month. it really isn't the wipers themselves, but how much they are used. the "triple edge" or "silicone" or whatever wipers are just marketing gimmicksto get suckers to pay $15-$25 per wiper, when a set of normal wipers costing $10 can do just a good of a job. and last the same amount of time. which is normally 6-9 months.
Exactly.. I mean i only use mine if its raining (obviously lol) and if i need to clean the dust from my windshield with washer fluid.. When they do go bad, then they should be replaced immediately so they dont scratch your windshield.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-27-2008
Goodysgotacuda's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 1,496
I will try the 'new' style blades next time and see how it goes. I don't think it's the use that kills them, as much as it is the sitting in the sun. When the blade goes to park it is bent in one position, which is bad for the initial wipe...sun beating on it, kinda molds it that way.

Random cool thing - BMW 7-series cars will alter the wiper position by 1mm or so every couple of days to keep that "molding" to a minimum, in one position. They went through the trouble of designing that, must be somethin to it...
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-27-2008
Fx4wannabe01's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (23)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Boring, Oregon
Posts: 21,721
Piaa Silocone ftw! nothin' quite like 'em.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-27-2008
GrafixGuy's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Montgomery, AL
Posts: 8,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisturbedESV View Post
Also make sure you spray fluid when it firsts start raining each time. That helps clean off some of the stuff that causes streaking... getting a good fluid can help a lot... I have stuff private labeled by the company I work for that actually fights against road film. I have to spray when I start the wipers and then they work like a charm (just standard ones... nothing fancy) otherwise they will streak.
thats very true... the liquid you use makes a big difference... the cheap blue stuff works but get a few bugs on there and it streaks... I use a green liquid can't think of name, but it prevents build-up of road grime/bugs...I wanna say its by Prestone...

*edit*
http://www.prestone.com/products/win...sherFluids.php
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-29-2008
ranger_1999's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: spindale, NC
Posts: 1,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Edge-04GT View Post
I need a really good set that will last. I've used many different kinds and they all don't seem to last. I always have rain-x on the windshield which works awesome but the wiper blades always streak. When they are new their ok but that doesn't last long. I need a set that will last at least a year and actually remove the water. Any recommendations?
Man your avatar is AWSOME...never seen that before...

But to your point, yeah i need some too..Guess ill try those bosch ones, i use rainex on my windsheild so i dont really use my wipers
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-29-2008
Toreador4x4's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Livonia, MI
Posts: 3,958
My dads truck has the Anco Contour blades on it. they have been on there a year and no problems at all. i have the knock off contour blades and i havent had any problems so far, its only been about a week though
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-03-2008
05Edge-04GT's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Illinois
Posts: 399
I just can't believe my wipers don't last long at all no matter what brand I use. My van at work has the original factory wiper blades on it still and it's an 05 chevy express and they still work fine, no streaking.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-03-2008
5speedin2.3's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Livonia, Mi
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamper06 View Post
Bosch Icons. FTW


I've had the same pair on my truck for over a year, they put em on when I got my new windshield for free.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-03-2008
GrafixGuy's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Montgomery, AL
Posts: 8,703
speaking of wipers, there some new movie out called "flash of genius" true story about the guy that designed the windshield wiper design for Ford Mo. Co. along time ago...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbtdtNiwdwc
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-04-2008
RangerNDog's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (10)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Harrisonburg, VA
Posts: 1,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07SPORT View Post
speaking of wipers, there some new movie out called "flash of genius" true story about the guy that designed the windshield wiper design for Ford Mo. Co. along time ago...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbtdtNiwdwc
i have been seeing previews for it lately. It looks like an ok movie. I dont think its work seeing in a movie theater so i am going to wait for it to come out on dvd.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 10-04-2008
Brit-ranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 651
Bosch Icon,had them on my ranger and now on the new 08 f150
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 10-04-2008
jaycheetwood's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ogden, Utah
Posts: 2,218
I have had to sets of rain x and its been good to me..
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 10-04-2008
05Edge-04GT's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Illinois
Posts: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycheetwood View Post
I have had to sets of rain x and its been good to me..
How long do they last?
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 10-27-2008
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx4wannabe01 View Post
Piaa Silocone ftw! nothin' quite like 'em.
I've had the current set on my truck for 2 years
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 10-27-2008
GrafixGuy's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Montgomery, AL
Posts: 8,703
funny how I only had my stockers for a month b/c I bought the Bosch Icons... well the icons broke, and I'm back to the OEM blades and they are great, the icons had become old and stiff...
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:21 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.