Auto shifing issues, delayed shift into OD and thud going into reverse - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


Drivetrain Tech General discussion of drivetrain for the Ford Ranger.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 03-20-2007
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: SURPISE, AZ
Posts: 5
Auto shifing issues, delayed shift into OD and thud going into reverse

Hi,
I have 2 issues related to shifting and I hope someone can help me.

1993 XLT Supercab 4X4 AUTO 128K mi.

One issue is every time I shift from park into reverse, the truck idles at approx 800 RPM in park and when going from park into reverse it jumps to 1400 – 1500 RPM for a split second and then thuds into reverse.

The other issue is it has trouble changing into OD at freeway speeds. It will sometimes go in right away, other times it hesitates for up to approx 3 minutes before it shifts and then its thuds and the truck bucks. I have even tried shifting from OD to D and back and it does not go into OD, and OD to N and I will match the RPM’s and drop it back into OD. However, the torque converter always kicks in right after it goes into OD.

The transmission appears to operate normally otherwise.

Any info is greatly appreciated,

Benawall
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-20-2007
lifted97ranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Charlestown, IN
Posts: 1
the bad problem here is you have an A4LD automatic transmission.....that is your 1st problem....those tranny's were real problems, espically after 100k miles.......

it sounds to me like your valving inside your tranny isn't quite right......it would be worth your while to find a '95+ Ranger 4.0 auto 4x4 and swap in it's tranny.....they have either the 4R55E or the 5R55E tranny's which is a far supperior tranny to the A4LD....i do believe it is a direct bolt in.....
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-21-2007
4x4RangerGuy's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Newburyport, MA
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifted97ranger
the bad problem here is you have an A4LD automatic transmission.....that is your 1st problem....those tranny's were real problems, espically after 100k miles.......

it sounds to me like your valving inside your tranny isn't quite right......it would be worth your while to find a '95+ Ranger 4.0 auto 4x4 and swap in it's tranny.....they have either the 4R55E or the 5R55E tranny's which is a far supperior tranny to the A4LD....i do believe it is a direct bolt in.....
The 4R44E family of transmissions are fully electronically controlled, unlike the A4LD where only the TC lockup and OD are electronically controlled. The 4R44E and family would not work right in his truck because there are no electronic controls for the rest of the functions. He would need a new computer, or a standalone to make those trannies work.

Also, they arent that much stronger. I just had my second failure on my 4R44E. Regular maintenance too. The 5R55E is slightly better because its beefed up to take the 4.0s output. Im swapping to a manual though, no more of these crappy autos.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-21-2007
lifted97ranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Charlestown, IN
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4RangerGuy
The 4R44E family of transmissions are fully electronically controlled, unlike the A4LD where only the TC lockup and OD are electronically controlled. The 4R44E and family would not work right in his truck because there are no electronic controls for the rest of the functions. He would need a new computer, or a standalone to make those trannies work.

Also, they arent that much stronger. I just had my second failure on my 4R44E. Regular maintenance too. The 5R55E is slightly better because its beefed up to take the 4.0s output. Im swapping to a manual though, no more of these crappy autos.
other than swapping out the computer, there would be nothing else involved.....changing out computers would be easy......unplug 1 and plug 1 in.....
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-21-2007
V8 Level II's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifted97ranger
other than swapping out the computer, there would be nothing else involved.....changing out computers would be easy......unplug 1 and plug 1 in.....
There is no way to just plug in a new PCM. The 93 has a 60-pin EEC-IV processor and any Ranger with a 4RxxE or 5RxxE is 104-pin EEC-V. Lots of differences in engine controls and emission systems, too.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-21-2007
lifted97ranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Charlestown, IN
Posts: 1
ahhhhh.....i guess i was comparing to swaping a manual to an auto or vise versa....
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-21-2007
4x4RangerGuy's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Newburyport, MA
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifted97ranger
other than swapping out the computer, there would be nothing else involved.....changing out computers would be easy......unplug 1 and plug 1 in.....
No, it really isnt that simple. The computers are completely different, along with a lot of different sensors on the newer trucks, especially the ones equipped with the 5R55E. The shift program has a learning curve where the transmission adapts to your driving style.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-21-2007
V8 Level II's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4RangerGuy
The shift program has a learning curve where the transmission adapts to your driving style.
This is a common misconception.

There is no adaptive learning aimed at adjusting the shift points or shift feel based on driver habits. In the 5-speed Ranger automatics with an Intermediate Shaft Speed sensor, the adaptive strategy is used to adjust the line pressure for consistent shifting throughout the life of the vehicle.

On the basis of various inputs, the strategy calculates an actual shift time and compares it with a table of ideal shift times. The adaptive provides a kind of feedback loop that continually makes incremental pressure changes, pushing the real shift times toward the ideal.

Over time, as all of the different combinations of VSS, gear and TP are "experienced", the adaptive learning process will fully update Keep Alive Memory (KAM). It shouldn't matter if the vehicle has 100 miles or 100,000 miles or if the driver is aggressive or conservative. The end of adaptation should take the transmission shift times very close to the ideal.

Resetting the PCM erases the learned values in KAM and the transmission defaults to a base table in non-volatile memory. Then the Shift Adaptive/Pressure Control Strategy starts over again, learning the correct pressure for every combination. During the relearn, it is likely that shifting will feel different with shift events that may be harsher than normal or shift timing that may be early or delayed.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
early am delayed shift kevintower Drivetrain Tech 6 12-01-2010 04:07 PM
Delayed Shift weld69 Drivetrain Tech 3 07-23-2010 06:22 AM
Hard to shift into First and Reverse. Ray_Welder Drivetrain Tech 4 06-25-2008 11:42 AM
Knock/thud noise under front end? fletch12518 General Ford Ranger Discussion 15 01-21-2008 09:30 PM
Wouldn't shift into reverse FlyboyZR1 Drivetrain Tech 2 11-02-2007 07:43 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:29 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.