Need some input on re-gearing 02 ranger edge. - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


Drivetrain Tech General discussion of drivetrain for the Ford Ranger.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 02-27-2008
Prerunner-Ranger's Avatar
Level I Supporter
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lancaster, CA.
Posts: 2,280
Need some input on re-gearing 02 ranger edge.

Hi All,

Came across the site and just registered and hope to be a part of this awesome community soon. I have a question regarding my 2002 Ford Ranger Edge 3.slow. Ever since I lifted it up and got bigger tires my shift points seem to be all messed up :( It constantly slips when I'm going up hills or trying to get on the gas and I know it's because of the gear ratio being stock still. What would be my best bet gear wise to get a lil more performance out of my ranger and get rid of the nasty slipping and shift points? I would like it to be quick off the line and have good pick up and shift when it's supposed to shift :P

I'm running:
K&N Intake
Flowmaster Exhaust
32' BFG All Terrains (going 33's soon)
2002 Ranger Edge 3.slow

Also, I checked out my rear differential and it seems to be leaking oil a bit. Should I get a new differential, maybe something a little bigger? What would fit best back there?

Any feedback will help and thanks again for your time.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-27-2008
01xltranger4x4's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: MI
Posts: 3,200
What axle do you have the 8.8 or 7.5?

If the 7.5 i would swap for an 8.8.

With the 3.0 and 33" tires, 4.56 gears should do you well.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-27-2008
Prerunner-Ranger's Avatar
Level I Supporter
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lancaster, CA.
Posts: 2,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01xltranger4x4 View Post
What axle do you have the 8.8 or 7.5?

If the 7.5 i would swap for an 8.8.

With the 3.0 and 33" tires, 4.56 gears should do you well.

Well I called FORD just to verify my knowledge as I think it was a 7.5. Ford didn't know jack **** about it and transferred me a million times so I sticking with the 7.5. I'm pretty sure that's what I have. As far as swapping it I know the 8.8's come on the 4.0's, where would be the best place to come up on a good differential? Pick your part? I want something in somewhat good condition as my current differential is leaking all over :(

I keep hearing I'll be fine with 4:10's. Should I stick to 4:10's or go 4:56's? Pro's & Conn's?

I look forward to your response.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-27-2008
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
4.10s will work fine with 33s. as for 7.5 or 8.8 definitely go 8.8
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-27-2008
coonass8285's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Westwego,La
Posts: 117
just make sure you have the 7.5, i have the 3.0 and i have the 8.8, check the axle tag or in the drivers door jam to make sure.

https://www.ranger-forums.com/forum2...ight=axle+code

use this link to check your code
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-27-2008
Prerunner-Ranger's Avatar
Level I Supporter
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lancaster, CA.
Posts: 2,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by coonass8285 View Post
just make sure you have the 7.5, i have the 3.0 and i have the 8.8, check the axle tag or in the drivers door jam to make sure.

https://www.ranger-forums.com/forum2...ight=axle+code

use this link to check your code

I looked in the door jam and couldn't find the info i was looking for.

I will crawl under the truck when I get home and find out what my axle code is. I still don't understand which number will be the axle code on the differential. I'll post the exact numbers when I get home so I can verify if it's the 7.5 or 8.8.

THanks for all ur help guys.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-27-2008
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by coonass8285 View Post
just make sure you have the 7.5, i have the 3.0 and i have the 8.8, check the axle tag or in the drivers door jam to make sure.

https://www.ranger-forums.com/forum2...ight=axle+code

use this link to check your code
most 3.0s and 4.0s after 03 had 8.8s 01-03 could be a mix match... i doubt he has an 8.8 based on his truck specs
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-27-2008
n3elz's Avatar
RF Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Kennett Square, PA
Posts: 10,620
My 3.0 2002 Ranger is 4.56 with 35's -- but 4.10 should be fine withe 33's.

The nasty slipping when shifting (automatic) is a design problem with the transmission. You get it the most on the 2-3 shift because two things need to happen at once: the overdrive has to release and the next gear band pick up. 2nd gear is a "made up" gear between the original 4 speed gears 1 and 2 and is obtained by engaging the overdrive on 1st gear thus make in new 2nd gear. The problem is that you have to synch the two operations to get to third and most 5 speeds 5R55 5R44 transmissions have this problem.

Best way to solve it is with a shift improver kit that changes hydraulic flow during that transition.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-27-2008
Prerunner-Ranger's Avatar
Level I Supporter
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lancaster, CA.
Posts: 2,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by n3elz View Post
My 3.0 2002 Ranger is 4.56 with 35's -- but 4.10 should be fine withe 33's.

The nasty slipping when shifting (automatic) is a design problem with the transmission. You get it the most on the 2-3 shift because two things need to happen at once: the overdrive has to release and the next gear band pick up. 2nd gear is a "made up" gear between the original 4 speed gears 1 and 2 and is obtained by engaging the overdrive on 1st gear thus make in new 2nd gear. The problem is that you have to synch the two operations to get to third and most 5 speeds 5R55 5R44 transmissions have this problem.

Best way to solve it is with a shift improver kit that changes hydraulic flow during that transition.
Thanks for the input ne3lz. I really wouldn't mind 4:56's with 35's I just figured 35's would bog down a ranger no matter what cus they are so damn big. Currently I got 7 brand new 32' all terrain bfg's and when i use them up I want to go back to 33's. Will the 4:10's improve my shifting by a longshot or will I have to get a shift kit?

Also I looked at my rear diff. and it said:

v368B
3 73 75 1H09

I'm guessing the 75 means 7.5 and I should upgrade to a 8.8 and 4:10's? And get the shift kit put on my tranny?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-28-2008
Prerunner-Ranger's Avatar
Level I Supporter
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lancaster, CA.
Posts: 2,280
Can someone confirm if I'm running a 7.5 or 8.8?

v368B
3 73 75 1H09

Also where's the best place to come up on a nice 8.8? Should I buy it brand new?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-28-2008
04blackedge's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 23,426
Yeah thats a 7.5 with 3.73 gearing. I would just get a 8.8 from a junkyard. You can get one from a Explorer that has disc brakes, but you have to flip the spring hangers to get it to work right. Its a worthwhile mod tho.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-28-2008
Prerunner-Ranger's Avatar
Level I Supporter
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lancaster, CA.
Posts: 2,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04blackedge View Post
Yeah thats a 7.5 with 3.73 gearing. I would just get a 8.8 from a junkyard. You can get one from a Explorer that has disc brakes, but you have to flip the spring hangers to get it to work right. Its a worthwhile mod tho.
What if my back brakes are drum brakes?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-28-2008
04blackedge's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 23,426
Your back brakes are drum brakes, thats why you swap in a Explorer 8.8 that has disc brakes.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-29-2008
Prerunner-Ranger's Avatar
Level I Supporter
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lancaster, CA.
Posts: 2,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04blackedge View Post
Your back brakes are drum brakes, thats why you swap in a Explorer 8.8 that has disc brakes.
Ahh then flip the spring hangers upside down?

Thanks for your feedback blackedge.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-29-2008
04 EDGE
Unregistered User
 
Posts: n/a
if it were mine i would try to find a 8.8 with 4.10 gearing from a newer truck.

much stronger axle and already set up with the gear ratio you need.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-29-2008
Prerunner-Ranger's Avatar
Level I Supporter
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lancaster, CA.
Posts: 2,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04 EDGE View Post
if it were mine i would try to find a 8.8 with 4.10 gearing from a newer truck.

much stronger axle and already set up with the gear ratio you need.
I'm all for it, just having trouble finding it. Everywhere I read people are selling 8.8's off explorers and stating they are best for rangers. I want to find an 8.8 with the 4:10's already in it and not just a stock 8.8 from an explorer.

Any good sites to search for this?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-29-2008
04blackedge's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 23,426
You can find stock Explorer 8.8 with 4.10s in them, try car-part.com
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-01-2008
Prerunner-Ranger's Avatar
Level I Supporter
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lancaster, CA.
Posts: 2,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04blackedge View Post
You can find stock Explorer 8.8 with 4.10s in them, try car-part.com
What would I search for? I'm having trouble finding 8.8 4:10 in the california area...
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-01-2008
04 EDGE
Unregistered User
 
Posts: n/a
whats your zip code?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-01-2008
My05edge's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Midland, TX
Posts: 1,351
where do you get the shift kits at? im needing one really bad...
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 03-01-2008
Prerunner-Ranger's Avatar
Level I Supporter
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lancaster, CA.
Posts: 2,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04 EDGE View Post
whats your zip code?
92804
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-02-2008
04 EDGE
Unregistered User
 
Posts: n/a
this place has one, its 35 miles away from you and they want 400 for it.

http://www.vicsap.com/
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-02-2008
Prerunner-Ranger's Avatar
Level I Supporter
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lancaster, CA.
Posts: 2,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04 EDGE View Post
this place has one, its 35 miles away from you and they want 400 for it.

http://www.vicsap.com/
Damn thanks a lot man. Do you have the link to the actual differential? Pics?

$400 aint bad, I'll check it out.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-02-2008
04 EDGE
Unregistered User
 
Posts: n/a
it says to "check tag" it may have a factory limited slip diff.

400 is not bad for the area you live in and what you are looking for.

the yard probley dosent post pics of every part they have.

this is what i would do. the 7.5 is poo! plus it will just "bolt in" and it has bigger brakes also
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-02-2008
Prerunner-Ranger's Avatar
Level I Supporter
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lancaster, CA.
Posts: 2,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04 EDGE View Post
it says to "check tag" it may have a factory limited slip diff.

400 is not bad for the area you live in and what you are looking for.

the yard probley dosent post pics of every part they have.

this is what i would do. the 7.5 is poo! plus it will just "bolt in" and it has bigger brakes also
Nice sounds good, I'm going to call the yard tomorrow and figure out what's up with it, see it they have it still. If so I will need to find someone to swap it for me. I'll keep you guys posted.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Spotted a leak on the Ranger.. I need some input guys! LiftKitRanger Drivetrain Tech 0 12-31-2010 03:02 PM
Need some input... 94xltranger 8-Cylinder Tech 13 01-11-2010 10:18 AM
Rear-end gearing for 03 EDGE? tx03edge Drivetrain Tech 3 05-21-2008 11:31 PM
Some "Future Plan" Ideas, Need Input rolla_guy72 New Ideas 14 12-28-2005 04:40 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:26 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.