Rear axel replacements options - Page 3 - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


Drivetrain Tech General discussion of drivetrain for the Ford Ranger.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #51  
Old 11-15-2005
Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Fuquay Varina, NC
Posts: 3,048
notice i deleted some posts, get the hint?
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 11-15-2005
optikal illushun's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Coal Region, MTC to be exact...heart of the coal region.
Posts: 2,232
yessir




Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 11-15-2005
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location:
Posts: 3,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHBubba
After the problems I've had, I can't believe I'm about to defend Ford and the Ranger..
How about the fact that steering and road handling is far far better. How about the fact that camber doesn't go to hell as the suspension sags, causing unequal, premature tire wear. How about the fact that you can one finger your way down the interstate w/ IFS. Good luck doing that w/ TTB. I hear it's hell, relatively speaking.

Don't get me wrong, I'd have gone for a solid front myself, if I had the choice. In my mind it's more resiliant to damage and easier to maintain. But we'd have to take the downsides w/ that. And those downsides are an adverse effect on handling, and certianly a pretty sizable jump in vehicle costs. The torsion bar IFS system we have on the front ends of our Rangers is compact, handles fairly well, and is relatively cheap. That yeilds an affordable compact truck w/ decent road maners. You've got to give the system credit for what it yeilds. It isn't a complete 'POS'..

Besides, has yours given you any problems? Mine hasn't. While I have seen a guy grenade a hybrid D35 front diff, I'm still not convinced he didn't earn it. He hit that hole pretty damn hard from where I was sitting!
I don't know how you can blame Ford for the aftermarket options. I mean if aftermarket support was of higher priority, you probably should have bought a Jeep.
Easy to go to a D44?! Is that possible? Is there a D44 IFS system? And what would having a 'true' D35 front have bought you? Additional locker options? I'm not even sure that's the case. (Someone please comment on this!)
Truth be told I'm kind of surprised there isn't a greater aftermarket for the Ranger. It seems the 90's X gets a helluva lot more attention here than the Ranger does. I can only assume that that is because there are more X's out there. Or maybe more X owners are interested in modifying them. I am relatively confident that 90% of the Ranger owners out there have no interest in substantial power-train mods. I can only reason that that's why aftermarket makers don't pay careful attention to the Ranger. Although it's still surprising as there are so many Rangers out there.

That said, I bet the real money is in the full-size market.. so I bet that's where the attention goes.
Colin sometimes I don't want to respond to you because I think you choose not to get my point for the sake of debating something. Either that or you don't read what I post completely because you take what I say so far out into left feild I can't see you.

Stock vs stock the new rangers are hand down better then the TTB.

I don't blame ford for the lack of aftermarket the ranger has, I blame the ranger for being what it is.

I should have bought a TTB truck is what I should have bought, at the time I never in my life thought I was going to go off-roading like I do, so at the time what I bought made sense.

Yes TTB truck can use a D44, there is a how to on TRS, it sounds easy from the how to.
link to the how to http://www.therangerstation.com/tech...conversion.htm
Quote:
The Dana44 TTB will bolt right in

What a true Dana 35 would give me is the abilty to off-road harder safer and run bigger tires safer with out gernadeing my front end.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 11-15-2005
optikal illushun's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Coal Region, MTC to be exact...heart of the coal region.
Posts: 2,232
TTB is easily swapped for a solid front, and the TTB D35 is pretty strong as is, just dont expect to run anything bigger than 35s and wheel the wee outta it...but keep it open and u can get by with 37s with good driving.

only real draw back to the TTB is allignment woes and lack of travel...but the t-bars dont offer much either.

oh and the F-150s and F250 LDs run a dana 44 TTB front. the F250 LD version runs 8 lug knuckles but the rest is the same.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 11-15-2005
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: PUEBLO, CO
Posts: 3,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger1

What a true Dana 35 would give me is the abilty to off-road harder safer and run bigger tires safer with out gernadeing my front end.
I think you meant would instead of what, but assuming that, theres not a d35 staright axle and if there was it would suck too...
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 11-15-2005
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location:
Posts: 3,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHBubba
After the problems I've had, I can't believe I'm about to defend Ford and the Ranger..
How about the fact that steering and road handling is far far better. How about the fact that camber doesn't go to hell as the suspension sags, causing unequal, premature tire wear. How about the fact that you can one finger your way down the interstate w/ IFS. Good luck doing that w/ TTB. I hear it's hell, relatively speaking.
I said
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger1
Maybe some aspects the newer trucks are better
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHBubba
Don't get me wrong, I'd have gone for a solid front myself, if I had the choice. In my mind it's more resiliant to damage and easier to maintain. But we'd have to take the downsides w/ that. And those downsides are an adverse effect on handling, and certianly a pretty sizable jump in vehicle costs. The torsion bar IFS system we have on the front ends of our Rangers is compact, handles fairly well, and is relatively cheap. That yeilds an affordable compact truck w/ decent road maners. You've got to give the system credit for what it yeilds. It isn't a complete 'POS'..
Where did I say anything about a solid front ? I was saying the D35/28 is a POS, I never said there was anything wrong with the IFS or T-bars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger1
oh my bad yeah Dana 35/28 hybrid is what we have. I guess I have a "things always get better" moto when it comes to cars and technology in general, and I can't say the newer trucks are better then the old TTB trucks. Maybe some aspects the newer trucks are better but as far as how much you can mod them and the options(aftermarket) availible they are not. I realize the ranger is not meant to be a heavy duty truck but they could have at least put a true D35 up front on at least some model(like the TTB trucks some had the 30/28 hybrid and some had a true 35 and it was easy to go to a D44).

Maybe if the aftermarket for the newer rangers would pick up I would have less to complain about. If moroso or somebody would make a more heavy duty front axel shafts and somebody would make a bolt in dana 44 upgrade. You would not hear me complain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHBubba
Besides, has yours given you any problems? Mine hasn't. While I have seen a guy grenade a hybrid D35 front diff, I'm still not convinced he didn't earn it. He hit that hole pretty damn hard from where I was sitting!
Yes mine has, my POS D35/28 hybrid stops me from useing the size tire and gears I would like to use.
He gernaded his hybrid because it is a POS no mater how he drove hit. If he would have drove a D35 the sameway it might have survived. if it would have been a D44 I would bet it would have been fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHBubba
I don't know how you can blame Ford for the aftermarket options. I mean if aftermarket support was of higher priority, you probably should have bought a Jeep.
At what point do I blame ford ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger1
oh my bad yeah Dana 35/28 hybrid is what we have. I guess I have a "things always get better" moto when it comes to cars and technology in general, and I can't say the newer trucks are better then the old TTB trucks. Maybe some aspects the newer trucks are better but as far as how much you can mod them and the options(aftermarket) availible they are not. I realize the ranger is not meant to be a heavy duty truck but they could have at least put a true D35 up front on at least some model(like the TTB trucks some had the 30/28 hybrid and some had a true 35 and it was easy to go to a D44).

Maybe if the aftermarket for the newer rangers would pick up I would have less to complain about. If moroso or somebody would make a more heavy duty front axel shafts and somebody would make a bolt in dana 44 upgrade. You would not hear me complain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHBubba
Easy to go to a D44?! Is that possible? Is there a D44 IFS system? And what would having a 'true' D35 front have bought you? Additional locker options? I'm not even sure that's the case. (Someone please comment on this!)
I have already covered this in a previous post.
There is an easy bolt in TTB D44.
A true D35 is better and safer then the hybrid POS we have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHBubba
Truth be told I'm kind of surprised there isn't a greater aftermarket for the Ranger. It seems the 90's X gets a helluva lot more attention here than the Ranger does. I can only assume that that is because there are more X's out there. Or maybe more X owners are interested in modifying them. I am relatively confident that 90% of the Ranger owners out there have no interest in substantial power-train mods. I can only reason that that's why aftermarket makers don't pay careful attention to the Ranger. Although it's still surprising as there are so many Rangers out there.
I don't know why either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHBubba
That said, I bet the real money is in the full-size market.. so I bet that's where the attention goes.
The places i go you can not take a full size.

Last edited by Ranger1; 11-15-2005 at 09:15 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 11-15-2005
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location:
Posts: 3,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERGILDO
I think you meant would instead of what, but assuming that, theres not a d35 staright axle and if there was it would suck too...
I am saying a true D35 is better and safer then the D35/28 hybrid, IFS or solid either way it would be better then the hybrid.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 11-15-2005
optikal illushun's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Coal Region, MTC to be exact...heart of the coal region.
Posts: 2,232
Wanna bet on that? i used to take mine on tight ATV trails all the time and made it just fine.

that was before it was repainted...
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 11-15-2005
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: PUEBLO, CO
Posts: 3,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by optikal illushun
Wanna bet on that? i used to take mine on tight ATV trails all the time and made it just fine.

that was before it was repainted...
no offense dude but if it was a tight ATV trail, then even a ranger wouldnt be able to make it...
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 11-15-2005
optikal illushun's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Coal Region, MTC to be exact...heart of the coal region.
Posts: 2,232
tight for a fullsize, no **** a TIGHT ATV trail a ranger wont make it (unless u wanna take out the trees and shrubs)
Reply With Quote
  #61  
Old 11-15-2005
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location:
Posts: 3,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by optikal illushun
Wanna bet on that? i used to take mine on tight ATV trails all the time and made it just fine.

that was before it was repainted...
I would pay to see a full size make it through the trails I have gone down and not come out without some serious damage(big dents, scratches down to the metal, or busted glass,ect )
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 11-15-2005
optikal illushun's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Coal Region, MTC to be exact...heart of the coal region.
Posts: 2,232
i doubt it, but come to centralia and ill show u where i used to go.

if i had another truck, id actually take it out again. come next year ill have a play toy again

Last edited by optikal illushun; 11-15-2005 at 09:28 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 11-16-2005
D.
Unregistered User
 
Posts: n/a
Honestly, and from my experiences of ' watching ' others and applying what I know on the streets..

I don't car for the T-bar setups. I've had a T-bar snap and lost a spindle, vailience, fender.. a wheel with the spindle ( never did recover it when they flat bedded the truck.. must have fallen off ).

From seeing Griggs-Rig and others in Centralia and watching Solid Axle vehicals in my area, theT-bars seem very limited in travel and ability for offroading. Again, its just an observation, only offroading I've done thedriving is on my ATV.

On thestreets, a coil over setup is MUCH nicer and offers more stability.

I think Ford took a ' middle of the road appoach ' with T-bars trying to satisfy all.. and to the contrare hardly satisfied anyone.

D.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 11-16-2005
Red_Ak_Ranger's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 17,221
I'm satisfied, but I'm not that picky either. I like the torsion bars because I'm not a hardcore offroader. I prefer the strength of the torsions, and i prefer doing donuts in the snow in my truck than rockcrawling.

Ranger1, NHBubba likes to argue. I don't mean that in an insulting way, jus I've seen alot of his posts lol, and he's a debater.


Oh, and my friends 97 Dodge Ram 1500 can get nearly anywhere my Ranger can. We've gone down a buncha hiking trails, between the rocks, and I make through very comfortably, while he hasta watch himself go through. He has a huge dent on his door though, because he had to go through too narrow of a place.

Aaron
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 11-16-2005
TBarCYa's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Clementon, NJ
Posts: 716
Forgot to read the other two pages before replying.... Oops.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 11-16-2005
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location:
Posts: 3,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Ak_Ranger
I'm satisfied, but I'm not that picky either. I like the torsion bars because I'm not a hardcore offroader. I prefer the strength of the torsions, and i prefer doing donuts in the snow in my truck than rockcrawling.

Ranger1, NHBubba likes to argue. I don't mean that in an insulting way, jus I've seen alot of his posts lol, and he's a debater.


Oh, and my friends 97 Dodge Ram 1500 can get nearly anywhere my Ranger can. We've gone down a buncha hiking trails, between the rocks, and I make through very comfortably, while he hasta watch himself go through. He has a huge dent on his door though, because he had to go through too narrow of a place.

Aaron
I don't have an issue with the T-bars, I think it was a good way to meet everyones needs for the least amount of money. My problem is the drivetrain. I think not offering a true D35 like there was with the older trucks was a cheap mistake.

I don't mind a good debate but not one for the sake of argueing. I mean don't type 3 paragraphs on something I didn't say. I feel like once again one of my post has been ruined because someone wants to make a debate about everything I say.

I think I asked a pretty basic question
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger1
So I was thinking about replaceing my whole re-end with an FX4L2 rear and then I thought well what the next step better after that ? Is there a 8.8 35 spline or is the 9 inch next ? The ford 8.8 28 and 31 spline rears are what dana 30 or 35 or what ?
and I find myself having to defend my point post after post. This happends to me all the time and I am really getting tired of it. Why can't I just ask questions and get answers ? I don't mind a little joshin around but come on look how far freaking off topic this has gone. If you disagree with something I say PM me or make your own post and quit high jacking mine.
[/rant]
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 11-16-2005
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location:
Posts: 3,115
now back on topic

Is there a such thing as more then 31 spline 8.8 ? I thought there was a 35 spline 8.8 ?(this is just for my knowledge)

Whats the biggest gears you could put on an 8.8 rear ?
(of course I know the front would have to match and I know 4.88's are the biggest you can put on the front, pretend I have a 2wd truck)
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 11-16-2005
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Somewhere, XYZ
Posts: 4,351
Ben, I was trying to illustrate why the front axle design of our Rangers (including the hybrid D35 diff) is not a 'POS', as you have so elequently refered to it in this and other threads. It simply meets a set of criteria that may not match yours. However for many of the rest of us it is a suitable comprimise. I for one would not want a TTB setup..

I brought the t-bars into the discussion because they are part of this system. My point was that our current IFS system, and the TTB system of earlier models are both comprimises. The solid axle is in my opinion the most robust option, anything else is a comprimise. So if you're looking to build a truely indestructable truck, I think TTB should be off your radar too and you should focus exclusively on a SAS. That was the point I was trying to make.

As to a full-size not being up to your perceived 'needs'.. fine. But I still think the late model Ranger is a poor choice for what you claim to want to do. The Ranger is an entry level or economy light pickup. So many facets of it's design, from the engine, to the transmission, to the axles, to the suspension are clearly designed for light duty use and affordability. Let's face it, the Ranger is the Focus of trucks! I think this is why the list price for a 4x4 Ranger tops out at less than a 4x4 full-size even starts at. Once again: you get what you pay for.

Quite honestly.. from what you claim you want.. (a short wheelbase, compact, street legal ORV that can easily be lifted and built up to fit massive tires and abused in deep mud and massive rocks, and has extensive aftermarket support) .. from all that I think you want a Jeep man. I'm sure I'll get flamed back to the stone age for this, but Jeeps have all of that right out of the box. Why spend so much money, effort and time turning a Ranger into a Jeep when a Jeep is already a Jeep?

There's no such thing as a free lunch. And in this capacity I don't think you can cut corners. You can't turn a light-duty, economy pickup into a heavy duty ORV just by adding bigger tires. The Ranger simply isn't designed for what you want it to do.

In short, I think you've either got a lot of work ahead of you, or you bought the wrong vehicle to begin w/.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 11-16-2005
optikal illushun's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Coal Region, MTC to be exact...heart of the coal region.
Posts: 2,232
im actually going to have to agree with colin here, he makes good points. we all have to deal with what we have but a better choice would be a dedicated off-road truck. or turn ur truck into the off-roader and have a daily driver. u cant have ur cake and eat it too...trust me, i know this all to well from experience.

as for ur questions, there is no more than a 31 spline FACTORY 8.8. the biggest gears u can get are 5:13s but i have read about over heating issues. also the ring gear is huge and may require a different cover.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 11-16-2005
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Acworth, GA
Posts: 2,099
The biggest I know of for an 8.8 is 31 spline. There could very well be a 35 spline upgrade of some sort, but it would require bigger bearings and new carrier etc.

Biggest or should I say tallest gear, is 5.13 for the 8.8 right now.

editted, thanks to gil.

Last edited by 034x4; 11-16-2005 at 08:28 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 11-16-2005
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: PUEBLO, CO
Posts: 3,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by optikal illushun
im actually going to have to agree with colin here, he makes good points. we all have to deal with what we have but a better choice would be a dedicated off-road truck. or turn ur truck into the off-roader and have a daily driver. u cant have ur cake and eat it too...trust me, i know this all to well from experience.
Im going to have to politely disagree with you fellas...

jeeps are not made out to what they are. yes you get a solid front axle from the factory, but the only jeeps that are really decent from the factory are rubicons. and look at the price on those!

for that price difference from my ranger to the rubi, I can do a SAS, rear axle swap, doubler, all the axle goodies, a great suspension and what not. not only that, ill be different. (and probably for less I might add...)

to get the average jeep with its POS d30/d35 axles to where it would be a trail machine would take just as much work or more. Then you still have a jeep. everybody and their grandma has one. whats the fun in that?!

and yes there is a bigger aftermarket support for heeps, but most of the heap stuff can be made yourself if you have a decent problem solving capacity.

Jeeps are overated. and the ones that arent are overpriced. you just got to have a little ambition and a hunger to learn.

**** I remember when I first started frequenting the boards, I thought I could get a spindle lift for my 4x4. now im trying to gather parts and the cajones to run the SAS.

so I say this (and especially to you Ben.): keep asking. maybe you get some bullsh!t in the threads, but if you pull any useful information out of it, its worth it.

and colin you can be a real negative nancy...
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 11-16-2005
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: PUEBLO, CO
Posts: 3,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by 034x4
The biggest I know of for an 8.8 is 35 spline. There could very well be a 35 spline upgrade of some sort, but it would require bigger bearings and new carrier etc.

Biggest or should I say tallest gear, is 5.13 for the 8.8 right now.
you mean 31 spline in the first sentence I assume...
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 11-16-2005
optikal illushun's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Coal Region, MTC to be exact...heart of the coal region.
Posts: 2,232
well i never mentioned anything about jeeps, all i was suggesting was a different vehicle for a DD for wheelin rig.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 11-16-2005
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Acworth, GA
Posts: 2,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERGILDO
Jeeps are overated.
Preach on brotha-gil!
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 11-17-2005
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location:
Posts: 3,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by optikal illushun
im actually going to have to agree with colin here, he makes good points. we all have to deal with what we have but a better choice would be a dedicated off-road truck. or turn ur truck into the off-roader and have a daily driver. u cant have ur cake and eat it too...trust me, i know this all to well from experience.

as for ur questions, there is no more than a 31 spline FACTORY 8.8. the biggest gears u can get are 5:13s but i have read about over heating issues. also the ring gear is huge and may require a different cover.
Thats all I am trying to do is deal with what I have. I have my truck because I needed something to haul my ATV with and I needed a truck for the sometimes frequent trip to home depot. I never thought I would be off-roading like I do now. So when I bought it those were the only needs I had and it fit the bill nice. My truck is not my DD I have a focus and a mustang for that. Now a days 90% of my truck leaving the driveway its headed for trails or home depot. So it a different story and I have different needs for my truck. Needs that I don't think it can measure up to.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
need a new rear axel manofak Drivetrain Tech 16 09-13-2008 10:43 PM
Rear Axel Question...1997 ranger thef9est1 Drivetrain Tech 5 01-14-2008 07:15 PM
Front Axel Options? SteveOh Suspension Tech 38 01-07-2007 11:24 AM
Alcoa replacements options Lefty04LevelII Wheels & Tires Semi-Tech 10 10-23-2006 09:50 AM
explorer rear axel conversion hypnoticustoms General Ford Ranger Discussion 16 10-10-2006 07:25 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:46 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.