SS Braided brake lines - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


Drivetrain Tech General discussion of drivetrain for the Ford Ranger.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 04-16-2009
Dangerranger01's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Boring/Corvallis, Oregon
Posts: 2,011
SS Braided brake lines

Where you 4x4ers getting them at?? ima need some for a 2wd, looking to pick some up. You guys know what thread is on the fittings that go from the hard line to the soft line?? I want to say its a inverted flare, like 3/8, but honestly don't have an idea.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-16-2009
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
I think its metric.

I get all mine from a local shop here, probably run around 100 for the set. I have gotten many sets made for members if you are interested.

DOT approved Stainless Steel Brakes lines.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-16-2009
99ranger4x4's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 12,198
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Stainl...ines,1992.html

thats where i got mine.
I think you want AN3 fittings, thats what fit the stock ranger lines off the frame up front.

problem is, the catalog is easier to navigate than the website is..
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-16-2009
0RangerEdge2's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by zabeard View Post
I think its metric.

I get all mine from a local shop here, probably run around 100 for the set. I have gotten many sets made for members if you are interested.

DOT approved Stainless Steel Brakes lines.
So these lines, no modification needed? I'm thinking about upgrading soon. $100ish for the set?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ranger4x4 View Post
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Stainl...ines,1992.html

thats where i got mine.
I think you want AN3 fittings, thats what fit the stock ranger lines off the frame up front.

problem is, the catalog is easier to navigate than the website is..
So those lines work with no modification? Do you remember a price?

EDIT: Nevermind the price thing, I looked at the website. The ones linked to are exactly what you used? And they are flex lines right?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-16-2009
Lord Of War's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Thornton, Colorado
Posts: 4,599
Anyone have pics of them on the truck?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-16-2009
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
No modification is needed, bolt on.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-16-2009
Dangerranger01's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Boring/Corvallis, Oregon
Posts: 2,011
Okay, actually, i think AN-3 is right. i remember a flare, and assumed inverted.

But don't we have banjo fittings on the caliper though? I'm jjust in need or a front set...
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-16-2009
99ranger4x4's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 12,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0RangerEdge2 View Post
So these lines, no modification needed? I'm thinking about upgrading soon. $100ish for the set?



So those lines work with no modification? Do you remember a price?

EDIT: Nevermind the price thing, I looked at the website. The ones linked to are exactly what you used? And they are flex lines right?
yep, "straight line" is the braided junk.

18" is long enough for me at full droop w/o the limit straps and still have tons of slack.

They screwed right onto the solid line that the rubber hose screwed to.

on the axle end i used the banjo fittings i had got from another company.. I would assume both ends are AN3 if one end is.

annddd its like $35 shipped, the shipping was really cheap and i normally got it the next day or day after i guess i was just really close.

Name:  DSC04933.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  67.4 KB
Name:  DSC04932.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  143.3 KB
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-16-2009
0RangerEdge2's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,593
So for the banjo fitting on the caliper you need a sort of "adapter" to make it work correctly? Factory calipers at least.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-16-2009
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerranger01 View Post
Okay, actually, i think AN-3 is right. i remember a flare, and assumed inverted.

But don't we have banjo fittings on the caliper though? I'm jjust in need or a front set...
yeah, mine are made to order.

im trying to find a pic. lol
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-16-2009
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
here is a pick of a short one on my rear axle.

Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-16-2009
Dangerranger01's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Boring/Corvallis, Oregon
Posts: 2,011
Dang, i only need like something like 12inch at most for my front!! lol.

Where do we get these banjo fitting to AN-3 adaptors??

Are these "straight line" braided not a good brand? inferior product or something??
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-16-2009
99ranger4x4's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 12,198
you can get banjo bolts with AN3 threads.

and the ones from speedway, I haven't had an issue with any of them yet.. been running them for what? 8 months now? I have them going to both front wheels, also from the frame down to the axle, then from the T off to both rear wheels.

one of the expensive "DOT" approved ones i originally bought did leak though. damn company was impossible to get a hold of though.


Zach, why do you have the lines so low on the axle? are you not afraid of something snagging them?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-16-2009
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ranger4x4 View Post
yep, "straight line" is the braided junk.

18" is long enough for me at full droop w/o the limit straps and still have tons of slack.

They screwed right onto the solid line that the rubber hose screwed to.

on the axle end i used the banjo fittings i had got from another company.. I would assume both ends are AN3 if one end is.

annddd its like $35 shipped, the shipping was really cheap and i normally got it the next day or day after i guess i was just really close.




those lines technically are not street legal.

they dont have the sleeve over them to keep them from fraying.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-16-2009
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ranger4x4 View Post
you can get banjo bolts with AN3 threads.

and the ones from speedway, I haven't had an issue with any of them yet.. been running them for what? 8 months now? I have them going to both front wheels, also from the frame down to the axle, then from the T off to both rear wheels.

one of the expensive "DOT" approved ones i originally bought did leak though. damn company was impossible to get a hold of though.
who did you order from? if its DOT approved it tested at a crazy PSI before its stamped.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-16-2009
0RangerEdge2's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,593
Yes, the banjo fitting adapter is a must! If you have a link I'll get them soon!

EDIT: Beard....I'll probably be in contact when I'm ready. I should just drive out there, it's not that far.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-16-2009
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
sounds good, whenever.

He makes them on the fly, so i can stop in and get them or when you come we can get them. Either one.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-16-2009
99ranger4x4's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 12,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by zabeard View Post
who did you order from? if its DOT approved it tested at a crazy PSI before its stamped.
some company that does toyota crap in Colorado. forgot the name, the site said they were DOT approved though.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-16-2009
99ranger4x4's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 12,198
blah, we need an option to delete posts.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-16-2009
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ranger4x4 View Post
blah, we need an option to delete posts.
lol, ive got similar issues but to me brakes are a must and they must work well and i want to rely on them.

My current stainless steel lines have been used as limit straps in the past, still work great and are holding up great.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 04-16-2009
99ranger4x4's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 12,198
haha, i made sure to put plenty of slack in there to keep that from happening.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-17-2009
Dangerranger01's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Boring/Corvallis, Oregon
Posts: 2,011
Did any of you guys replace the soft line that goes from the frame to the rear axle before it splits to the two sides? I figure if i'm in there replacing soft lines with braided SS, might as well go all the way!!

And Z, your made-to-order lines come with banjo fittings already crimped on? come with the bolts also??
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-17-2009
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
yeah i did. i have no rubber lines.

as for my lines yes they are crimped on banjo fittings. looks just like a stock line but with SS braided line.

as for the rear seems like that is around 50.

if you want banjo bolts i can get those too.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04-18-2009
Dangerranger01's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Boring/Corvallis, Oregon
Posts: 2,011
Alright, i'm definitely going to get in touch with you Zach come time to do my rear end swap during the start of summer (once out of college). Going to replace all rubber lines with stainless lines...should be an improvement...
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 04-21-2009
mlw20lu's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Loxahatchee, FL
Posts: 1,825
what are the stock fittings An3? adn the banjo bolt im guesin its the 90* tube at the caliper?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shocks and extended brake lines. CA desertrunner07 Engine & Drivetrain 4 04-22-2009 12:48 AM
Hooking up a Fuel Cell, (extending the lines and what lines are what) zabeard 4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech 27 05-10-2008 07:41 AM
Steel Braided Spark Plug Wires? nseoi 2.9L & 3.0L V6 Tech 13 11-17-2006 10:20 PM
Front Brake Lines zabeard Drivetrain Tech 13 03-23-2006 09:03 PM
Extended Brake Lines with 8" of lift? jimmclrk1 Suspension Tech 5 01-24-2006 04:52 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:46 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.