Stuck in 4lo - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


Drivetrain Tech General discussion of drivetrain for the Ford Ranger.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 05-25-2011
Taylor's Avatar
Ive been dubbed....an old volk
Thread Starter
iTrader: (18)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Nashville, NC
Posts: 7,110
Stuck in 4lo

Searched and got mixed answers.

4lo wouldn't work last week. Tried it this morning, went into 4lo fine, and now stuck in 4lo.

4lo light on dash came on, then went off after engaging. Also, the green light on the radio bezel will only light up when 4lo is selected.

YES, truck is in neutral with brake depressed blah blah.

How do I put back into 2wd? What part on the T-case do I take off (picture if you have one please)

Havnt checked fuses yet, but didn't hear click in the fuse box.

Thanks guys.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-25-2011
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
I would try flipping the switch while someone else is tapping the tcase motor with a hammer.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-25-2011
djfllmn's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: York, PA
Posts: 5,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
Searched and got mixed answers.

4lo wouldn't work last week. Tried it this morning, went into 4lo fine, and now stuck in 4lo.

4lo light on dash came on, then went off after engaging. Also, the green light on the radio bezel will only light up when 4lo is selected.

YES, truck is in neutral with brake depressed blah blah.

How do I put back into 2wd? What part on the T-case do I take off (picture if you have one please)

Havnt checked fuses yet, but didn't hear click in the fuse box.

Thanks guys.
is your clutch depressed too?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-25-2011
Taylor's Avatar
Ive been dubbed....an old volk
Thread Starter
iTrader: (18)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Nashville, NC
Posts: 7,110
Yup, clutch as well. It seems electrical, because it isn't even clicking like it is trying to engage or disengage.

Last week, It would click like it was attempting to shift into 4lo, then the light would go off and it was still in 2wd or 4hi.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-25-2011
05blackranger's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Mequon, WI
Posts: 406
The transfer case motor has always been kinda weird on all the rangers I have driven. To make it shift quickly in a manual I flip the switch to 4LO or out of 4LO while in neutral, put it in reverse and give it a little gas and let the clutch out a bit to rock the truck, then hit the brake and put in neutral. It works everytime for me.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-25-2011
Taylor's Avatar
Ive been dubbed....an old volk
Thread Starter
iTrader: (18)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Nashville, NC
Posts: 7,110
Ok, it turns out I didnt need my wife after all.....lol.

I turned the dial to 4low wit the truck in neutral, drug a hammer over the motor casing until i felt a magnet, tapped on it a couple of times, and then selected 2wd.

It shifted fine, now it wont go into 4low, but at least I have 4hi lol.

Thanks guys!!!

So it looks as if I need a new shifter motor thing. How much do these things run?

Or.....would it be easier to save up for a manual t-case swap?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-25-2011
Jason8n's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Roxboro, North Carolina
Posts: 708
Wirelessly posted (Droid2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor
Ok, it turns out I didnt need my wife after all.....lol.

I turned the dial to 4low wit the truck in neutral, drug a hammer over the motor casing until i felt a magnet, tapped on it a couple of times, and then selected 2wd.

It shifted fine, now it wont go into 4low, but at least I have 4hi lol.

Thanks guys!!!

So it looks as if I need a new shifter motor thing. How much do these things run?

Or.....would it be easier to save up for a manual t-case swap?
Not sure how much, but I would like to do a manual t-case swap as well. Had the same problem with mine about a week ago. It wouldn't go in low at all, but it didn't get stuck like yours. Finally engaged and worked fine, but I just know its going to screw up when I really need it.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-25-2011
StxDangerRanger's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Flat Rock, Mi
Posts: 6,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by zabeard View Post
I would try flipping the switch while someone else is tapping the tcase motor with a hammer.
Thats the solution for everything if you think hard enough.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-25-2011
Taylor's Avatar
Ive been dubbed....an old volk
Thread Starter
iTrader: (18)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Nashville, NC
Posts: 7,110
lol

Ok, so along with not being able to go into 4low, the lights on the radio bezel above the **** do not work now (The 2wd, 4hi and 4lo lights)

Could the switch be bad or something? Or did the lights just die?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-25-2011
Jason8n's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Roxboro, North Carolina
Posts: 708
Wirelessly posted (Droid2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor
lol

Ok, so along with not being able to go into 4low, the lights on the radio bezel above the **** do not work now (The 2wd, 4hi and 4lo lights)

Could the switch be bad or something? Or did the lights just die?
Check the power to the switch and coming off the switch.
Could also be the bulb decided to burn out.
Now your going to have to change all your interior bulbs to leds...
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-25-2011
Taylor's Avatar
Ive been dubbed....an old volk
Thread Starter
iTrader: (18)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Nashville, NC
Posts: 7,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason8n View Post
Wirelessly posted (Droid2)

Now your going to have to change all your interior bulbs to leds...
lol. I was thinking along the lines of "Now I have an excuse to do something" lol.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-25-2011
Jason8n's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Roxboro, North Carolina
Posts: 708
Wirelessly posted (Droid2)

Go ahead and give Buggman a call, just have to decide what color...I would say blue
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
4lo is a no go [email protected] 4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech 2 07-23-2015 04:04 PM
Review For Member 4LO 4.0 04_xlt_4.0_4x4 Ranger Products, Company, & Member Reviews 35 05-31-2009 01:50 AM
4Lo light on, but still 2wd rubberupracer39 General Ford Ranger Discussion 2 02-04-2009 06:20 PM
4hi/4lo lights flashing redneckbrat Drivetrain Tech 11 03-18-2007 10:12 AM
AC Stuck on "Defrost"... help... rngprerunner General Technical & Electrical 31 12-16-2004 11:28 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:42 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.