Aluminum CB Mount FTL!!!! - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


Exterior Semi-Tech General discussion of exterior for the Ford Ranger.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 09-23-2008
malydeen's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 632
Aluminum CB Mount FTL!!!!

So I made an 'alon' style CB mount. I made it from aluminum because I had some on hand and i figured it would be easier to bend. Well this morning I got home and noticed the antenna at a funny angle went back to look at it and it was barely hanging there. Luckly it didnt break and drag the antenna.

Time to go buy some steel and a torch and make a steel one.

Name:  n199111024_32938918_3322.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  40.9 KB

For the record I made this, based on Alon's mounts. This was NOT purchased from Alon.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-23-2008
therangerofdanger's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Raleigh, North Carolina
Posts: 618
man, glad to se you caught that....
kinda not surprised it happened though.... aluminum stock is so brittle and doesn't perform so well after its plastically deformed like that.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-23-2008
Alon's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 2,555
That might work if you heated the aluminum. When you bent it without heating it you basically tore and cracked the aluminum at that crease. I sent you a pm too.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-23-2008
Ace's Avatar
Ace Ace is offline
Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Central, Illinois
Posts: 3,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alon View Post
That might work if you heated the aluminum. When you bent it without heating it you basically tore and cracked the aluminum at that crease. I sent you a pm too.
what happend to your name? did you quit modbargins?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-23-2008
malydeen's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alon View Post
That might work if you heated the aluminum. When you bent it without heating it you basically tore and cracked the aluminum at that crease. I sent you a pm too.
It actually broke at the 'base' of the twist. When I put it in the vice to twist it, i think the teeth on the vice ripped into it and caused the weak spot.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-24-2008
Alon's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 2,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by malydeen View Post
It actually broke at the 'base' of the twist. When I put it in the vice to twist it, i think the teeth on the vice ripped into it and caused the weak spot.
Ya... When you put the stresses on it twisting and bending it, you are tearing it right at the point where the vice ends.

I have never done an aluminum one, but heating it might just work.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-24-2008
malydeen's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alon View Post
Ya... When you put the stresses on it twisting and bending it, you are tearing it right at the point where the vice ends.

I have never done an aluminum one, but heating it might just work.
The other problem with aluminum is it flexes way too much. If you catch the antenna on a tree, it will bend the mount. I had plans to make a steel one, but I was just putting it off.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-24-2008
Victory's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pawcatuck, CT
Posts: 219
It depends what grade aluminum you use. Aircraft grade will hold up but it costs a lot. Instead of bending it make a piece and have it welded or bolted on to make the 90 degree or whatever you need.
Also never use it where the size is critical. Aluminum swells and shrinks a lot from temperature changes. They had aluminum wiring back in the 50-60s. BAD idea. It would swell when power ran through it then when it shrank it would be loose in the terminals.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-25-2008
SparkYZ's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Granada Hills, CA
Posts: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory View Post
It depends what grade aluminum you use. Aircraft grade will hold up but it costs a lot. Instead of bending it make a piece and have it welded or bolted on to make the 90 degree or whatever you need.
Also never use it where the size is critical. Aluminum swells and shrinks a lot from temperature changes. They had aluminum wiring back in the 50-60s. BAD idea. It would swell when power ran through it then when it shrank it would be loose in the terminals.
They still use aluminum alot in power lines and service drops.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Clean Mazda, finally. 56K FTL! 99MazdaB4000 Snapshots 17 03-08-2009 07:20 PM
Turtle Wax "ICE" polish FTL. :( DaneTrain Ranger Products, Company, & Member Reviews 19 05-21-2007 01:38 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:06 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.