got me some HIDS - Page 2 - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


Exterior Semi-Tech General discussion of exterior for the Ford Ranger.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #26  
Old 06-16-2009
dcrymes99ranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Greenville south carolina
Posts: 834
Wow those are bright as hell hurts my eyes to look at the screen. Btw those are some wide *** tires on that Ranger, but the HID's look good :thumbsup:
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 06-16-2009
korey89's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: South, FL
Posts: 4,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine090767 View Post
they "glare" because the HIDs are not in HID headlamps (Projectors)
HID bulbs are supposed to be used with projector housings NOT regular housings like our trucks have. change your headlights to projectors and lose the glare.
Not true. HID's come in plenty of vehicles with reflector housings (think Prius, older Escalade, older Acuras, etc). And if anything its best to have them in the normal reflector housing in trucks. The projectors focus the light a lot more and a lot broader and more evenly which is good with cars, but with trucks the cutoff is usually gonna be too high and will make that more focused light shine in everyones eyes even more. Plus people who load up their bed with stuff and then drive at night are just making the cutoff THAT much higher. For you to have projectors in a truck that wouldn't blind everyone you would have to put them down low and they would have to be self leveling. Anything else and they will be more in peoples eyes than they would be if they were in the stock reflectors unless you aimed them down which would defeat the purpose of them and their added output.

Now argue with me that "OMG when people like you are driving towards me the light is blinding me and I can't see". And the response will be to quit staring into my headlights like a moron, you deserve to crash into a concrete pole if you do that. Now say "OMG when people like you are behind me its too bright in my mirrors". And the response will be to move the hell over or speed up, if you don't like it there are other lanes on the road. IDGAF if they bother other people, I'd almost like it if mine glared a little more so that way more people who can't drive would get the hell out of my way at night.


Anything else?
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 06-16-2009
TrePaul86's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Gresham, OR
Posts: 1,369
That's what I'm talkin about Korey! OWN'D!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 06-16-2009
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Sumter, SC
Posts: 633
I love rants. that was awesome korey.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 06-16-2009
mossyoak03's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by korey89 View Post
Not true. HID's come in plenty of vehicles with reflector housings (think Prius, older Escalade, older Acuras, etc). And if anything its best to have them in the normal reflector housing in trucks. The projectors focus the light a lot more and a lot broader and more evenly which is good with cars, but with trucks the cutoff is usually gonna be too high and will make that more focused light shine in everyones eyes even more. Plus people who load up their bed with stuff and then drive at night are just making the cutoff THAT much higher. For you to have projectors in a truck that wouldn't blind everyone you would have to put them down low and they would have to be self leveling. Anything else and they will be more in peoples eyes than they would be if they were in the stock reflectors unless you aimed them down which would defeat the purpose of them and their added output.

Now argue with me that "OMG when people like you are driving towards me the light is blinding me and I can't see". And the response will be to quit staring into my headlights like a moron, you deserve to crash into a concrete pole if you do that. Now say "OMG when people like you are behind me its too bright in my mirrors". And the response will be to move the hell over or speed up, if you don't like it there are other lanes on the road. IDGAF if they bother other people, I'd almost like it if mine glared a little more so that way more people who can't drive would get the hell out of my way at night.


Anything else?
NICE but what kinda of music are you listening to on the radio at the time your doing all that?
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 06-16-2009
Fx4wannabe01's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (23)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Boring, Oregon
Posts: 21,721
Marcus....just wait til you're running 6000k's in both heads and fogs....i just drove my truck after installing my new fog kit...OH MY GOSH WOW. I can't believe I went this long without having foglamps!!!
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 06-16-2009
Seb_L's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 1,071
LOL Korey that was the awesomest HID rant EVER!
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 06-16-2009
tphelon15's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Westfield, MA
Posts: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by mossyoak03 View Post
2500HD 6.6 DURASEX
My dad has that truck, it's an amazing truck to drive. I hope you're getting a 4x4.

Last edited by tphelon15; 06-16-2009 at 09:35 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 06-16-2009
TrePaul86's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Gresham, OR
Posts: 1,369
Marcus you should make it look like this:

Name:  IMG_0419.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  254.4 KB
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 06-16-2009
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Sumter, SC
Posts: 633
this is what i thought it'd look like...

Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 06-16-2009
yetti96's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Fort Myers, FL
Posts: 371
That would be a great rant if it made sense. Yes it is true not all HIDs come in projectors, I think some maximas have HIDs in reflector housings. They do tend to glare more than those in projectors, but they are legal and DOT certified.

The thought that broadly cast glare is better than focused glare is retarded. Yes when bouncing or going over bumps and hills the light in your eyes would be a "smoother" transition from bright to "I'm Blind!!" But still the occasional flash of brightness is far less dangerous than constant illegal glare. It is retarded to thing otherwise. There is simply no justification for HIDs not in their proper housing, aimed correctly.

The loaded bed argument is a moot point. You make it sound as if people go around loading their vehicles with weight for the night to blind others. This, yes is the reason why OEM projectors normally are self leveling, but they are not required in the US yet, only in Europe. Some OEM HID equipped vehicles have an adjuster on the dash to adjust the lights accordingly. How often are people loaded up with cargo to the point where the light output is adjusted so that it is not aimed down or level?

Also, the stance of its my lights deal with it is total Bull as well. What you want to do would not distract or inhibit other peoples' driving ability. If you want more light, add fog lights or driving light for off-road use only.

This is just ridiculous to think it is so widely accepted for people to just pop a $50 Chinese set of HID in their stock housings and blind others with no regard to legality or safety. I cannot stand it when 99% of a forum applauds people for doing this. It is no different than street racing, heck it is worse because when in use it ALWAYS effects others. I have always felt, but never voiced my opinion on either locking or banning those who begin such retarded threads. This is in no way against the OP, he is cool in my book but I have looked past this has occurred too many times to not say something now that Korey is a lighting expert.

I am not looking to argue, just state the point of all those who care about not driving into you at night head-on while being blinded. Or if one of these A-hole is behind me, I drive like an equally retarded person, yet they will never know why because they think their blue light looks so cool broadcast all over the road and people in front of them. Drive at me with your illegal HIDs, I will continue to drive at you in your lane, blowing my train horns with my brights, strobes, and Q-Beam in your eyes. I will stoop that low. Try it.

Having knowledge of this travesty that is HIDs and knowing they are illegal, but using them is no different than hooking up with every single person you pass without a condom or any form of protection...prove the pull-out method works, sometime it does, but it doesn't always. I bet a disease or pregnancy will come of it...no different than blinding every oncoming motorist and pedestrian, one day you will either get a ticket or run into someone. :)

/end rant
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 06-16-2009
04blackedge's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 23,426
Well said Yetti
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 06-16-2009
mossyoak03's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by tphelon15 View Post
My dad has that truck, it's an amazing truck to drive. I hope you're getting a 4x4.
yes i am. I will never own another 2wd truck.

and trepaul its going to look like this just with a different tire and wheel combo.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 06-16-2009
korey89's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: South, FL
Posts: 4,672
Very nice counter rant chap.


Quote:
Originally Posted by yetti96 View Post
That would be a great rant if it made sense. Yes it is true not all HIDs come in projectors, I think some maximas have HIDs in reflector housings. They do tend to glare more than those in projectors, but they are legal and DOT certified.

The thought that broadly cast glare is better than focused glare is retarded. Yes when bouncing or going over bumps and hills the light in your eyes would be a "smoother" transition from bright to "I'm Blind!!" But still the occasional flash of brightness is far less dangerous than constant illegal glare. It is retarded to thing otherwise. There is simply no justification for HIDs not in their proper housing, aimed correctly.

The loaded bed argument is a moot point. You make it sound as if people go around loading their vehicles with weight for the night to blind others. This, yes is the reason why OEM projectors normally are self leveling, but they are not required in the US yet, only in Europe. Some OEM HID equipped vehicles have an adjuster on the dash to adjust the lights accordingly. How often are people loaded up with cargo to the point where the light output is adjusted so that it is not aimed down or level?

Also, the stance of its my lights deal with it is total Bull as well. What you want to do would not distract or inhibit other peoples' driving ability. If you want more light, add fog lights or driving light for off-road use only.

This is just ridiculous to think it is so widely accepted for people to just pop a $50 Chinese set of HID in their stock housings and blind others with no regard to legality or safety. I cannot stand it when 99% of a forum applauds people for doing this. It is no different than street racing, heck it is worse because when in use it ALWAYS effects others. I have always felt, but never voiced my opinion on either locking or banning those who begin such retarded threads. This is in no way against the OP, he is cool in my book but I have looked past this has occurred too many times to not say something now that Korey is a lighting expert.

I am not looking to argue, just state the point of all those who care about not driving into you at night head-on while being blinded. Or if one of these A-hole is behind me, I drive like an equally retarded person, yet they will never know why because they think their blue light looks so cool broadcast all over the road and people in front of them. Drive at me with your illegal HIDs, I will continue to drive at you in your lane, blowing my train horns with my brights, strobes, and Q-Beam in your eyes. I will stoop that low. Try it.

Having knowledge of this travesty that is HIDs and knowing they are illegal, but using them is no different than hooking up with every single person you pass without a condom or any form of protection...prove the pull-out method works, sometime it does, but it doesn't always. I bet a disease or pregnancy will come of it...no different than blinding every oncoming motorist and pedestrian, one day you will either get a ticket or run into someone. :)

/end rant
It does make sense, if you don't understand you need to think a little bit harder, maybe go draw a picture of it to help you understand. You seemed to have typed up that entire rant without understanding the main point of what I said lol. You need to realize that trucks headlights tend to be higher than most cars headlights. Uhhhh you know what, I feel like I'm just repeating myself again. Let me draw you a picture, maybe it will make it easier to understand for you .



Maybe this will be easier to explain so that you will understand. The thick blue line represents the cutoff, and the painted in blue represents the light. In a TRUCK projectors are even worse than HID's in the stock housing (unless the truck is lowered, or maybe stock height if we are talking about little rangers). The whole point of projectors is to be able to aim them straight without blinding people, which works great in cars, but not TRUCKS. As I said before, the headlights are too high and if you aim them straight everyone in cars will be underneath the cutoff and will be getting blinded more than if they were drop in HIDs in a stock housing. Do you have any experience with drop in HIDs in 01+ rangers? Probably not, because then you would know that they don't glare bad at all, they aren't like other cars. Sure they glare a little but it's not that bad (not that I care lol) like a lot of other cars headlights are. Ok, back to arguing.

The loaded argument is not a "moot" point. People use their trucks for hauling stuff, sometimes that happens to be during the day, sometimes at night. Sometimes people leaving whatever they are hauling in their bed for a little while. People also tow trailers, which in turn make the tuck sag as if it was loaded (especially on rangers). Don't even try and tell me you've never seen anyone with a trailer at night, because unless you live in Bumfuk I know you have.

The argument of deal with it is not bull either. They aren't projectors, they won't be blinding EVERYONE around me. Only people who are directly in front of me kinda close and lower then I am. If you don't like it you can easily switch lanes, or, deal with it .

It happens to widely accepted here on RF with regards to 01+ ranger headlights. Like I asked before, have you had any experience with a drop in kit on 01+ stock ranger headlights? If not then you really honestly have zero room to talk in this thread. What holds true for other headlights, doesn't hold true for all.

And LMAO @ this
Quote:
Drive at me with your illegal HIDs, I will continue to drive at you in your lane, blowing my train horns with my brights, strobes, and Q-Beam in your eyes. I will stoop that low. Try it.
Ok, you do that. And then you will get multiple tickets, and be at fault when you and the other hit. Come do it to me, I could use a totaled truck so that I can get something different instead of the ranger. Even even more lol's at your "I will stoop that low. Try it." e-threat.


And yes, I am a lighting expert. Just say the word and I'll post a copy of my certificate on here, no joke.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 06-16-2009
karrbass4life's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 3,072
My brothers Civic glares worse than my truck (uber large headlight housing). Cops say my lights are fine too. I plan on installing a set into my mother-in-laws new Escape and my grandmothers Explorer.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 06-16-2009
Trigger01's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 18,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by mossyoak03 View Post
im not going to post pics when i paint it your just going to see and be like its about time. hahah
That sounds fair as much as I harass you about it.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 06-16-2009
hozII's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: athens, Al
Posts: 2,245
LOOK FOLKS!!! obvioulsy there are people here that agree with it and those that dont. It is what it is and will prob always be a disagreement from either side...SO with that said, i have HIDS in my truck...... I have reaimed them because my truck sits higher than stock. I have not once been flashed or given the finger or any of the above....lol!! BTW: korey i still want that brake check pleaase....LMOA!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 06-16-2009
mossyoak03's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by hozII View Post
LOOK FOLKS!!! obvioulsy there are people here that agree with it and those that dont. It is what it is and will prob always be a disagreement from either side...SO with that said, i have HIDS in my truck...... I have reaimed them because my truck sits higher than stock. I have not once been flashed or given the finger or any of the above....lol!! BTW: korey i still want that brake check pleaase....LMOA!!!!
mine are reaimed too and i don't care what anyone says about what i do to it in a negative way. its my truck. i haven't been flashed and HIDS aren't illegal in VA ill get a pic of a cop car that has them if i see him in the morning.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 06-16-2009
yetti96's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Fort Myers, FL
Posts: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by korey89 View Post
It does make sense, if you don't understand you need to think a little bit harder, maybe go draw a picture of it to help you understand. You seemed to have typed up that entire rant without understanding the main point of what I said lol. You need to realize that trucks headlights tend to be higher than most cars headlights. Uhhhh you know what, I feel like I'm just repeating myself again. Let me draw you a picture, maybe it will make it easier to understand for you .


Maybe this will be easier to explain so that you will understand. The thick blue line represents the cutoff, and the painted in blue represents the light. In a TRUCK projectors are even worse than HID's in the stock housing (unless the truck is lowered, or maybe stock height if we are talking about little rangers). The whole point of projectors is to be able to aim them straight without blinding people, which works great in cars, but not TRUCKS. As I said before, the headlights are too high and if you aim them straight everyone in cars will be underneath the cutoff and will be getting blinded more than if they were drop in HIDs in a stock housing. Do you have any experience with drop in HIDs in 01+ rangers? Probably not, because then you would know that they don't glare bad at all, they aren't like other cars. Sure they glare a little but it's not that bad (not that I care lol) like a lot of other cars headlights are. Ok, back to arguing.

The loaded argument is not a "moot" point. People use their trucks for hauling stuff, sometimes that happens to be during the day, sometimes at night. Sometimes people leaving whatever they are hauling in their bed for a little while. People also tow trailers, which in turn make the tuck sag as if it was loaded (especially on rangers). Don't even try and tell me you've never seen anyone with a trailer at night, because unless you live in Bumfuk I know you have.

The argument of deal with it is not bull either. They aren't projectors, they won't be blinding EVERYONE around me. Only people who are directly in front of me kinda close and lower then I am. If you don't like it you can easily switch lanes, or, deal with it .

It happens to widely accepted here on RF with regards to 01+ ranger headlights. Like I asked before, have you had any experience with a drop in kit on 01+ stock ranger headlights? If not then you really honestly have zero room to talk in this thread. What holds true for other headlights, doesn't hold true for all.

And LMAO @ this

Ok, you do that. And then you will get multiple tickets, and be at fault when you and the other hit. Come do it to me, I could use a totaled truck so that I can get something different instead of the ranger. Even even more lol's at your "I will stoop that low. Try it." e-threat.


And yes, I am a lighting expert. Just say the word and I'll post a copy of my certificate on here, no joke.

Sorry, I totally understand your point of lifted truck and projectors. This is the reason why my F-150 does not have HIDs or projectors. IMO there is no real solution to this issue, for truck and larger vehicles. I even find some Escalades to be too high and bright and they are legal.

I did have HIDs in my ranger and am one of the few (maybe only) that had semi-legal HIDs. I did a retrofit of FX projectors in my stock '03 housings. So yeah I have had plenty of experience with '01+ headlights in a ranger. Just because it is accepted does not make it right unfortunately.

Oh it your load sags, get a bigger truck or some load leveling bags as well as taking the load out (not always possible).

Oh and about the e-threat I apologize it it was too direct and personal. I just get so mad every night when I encounter retard folks with blinding blue lights. I guess my culmination of hatred for everyone else preaching how great HIDs are ended up down pouring on your parade. But I do really do that [email protected] kind of stuff if it is blatantly retarded like hugely lifted trucks with multiple sets of HIDs. So yeah I was a bit harsh but you do get the credit for being the lumen that broke my filament, lol.

So cheers, if you were legal I would buy you a beer. (Assuming you are 19 or 20 by the 89 designation in your SN, stalkerish I know :) ) Nice picture by the way...



Quote:
Originally Posted by mossyoak03
mine are reaimed too and i don't care what anyone says about what i do to it in a negative way. its my truck. i haven't been flashed and HIDS aren't illegal in VA ill get a pic of a cop car that has them if i see him in the morning.
Like I said it wasn't towards you, but HIDs not in a DOT approved housing suited for those lights is illegal. It is a national law, nothing to do with VA and their ridiculous laws (Tint, radar detector, lift, etc.) Don't be fooled into thinking because a cop has something it must be legal. Cops here in FL have 5% all around and it is legal according to state law. IIRC it reads the %'s of the side and rear windows then says that official law vehicles are exempt or something similar.

Last edited by yetti96; 06-16-2009 at 09:36 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 06-17-2009
mossyoak03's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 193
roger
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 06-17-2009
korey89's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: South, FL
Posts: 4,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by yetti96 View Post
Sorry, I totally understand your point of lifted truck and projectors. This is the reason why my F-150 does not have HIDs or projectors. IMO there is no real solution to this issue, for truck and larger vehicles. I even find some Escalades to be too high and bright and they are legal.

I did have HIDs in my ranger and am one of the few (maybe only) that had semi-legal HIDs. I did a retrofit of FX projectors in my stock '03 housings. So yeah I have had plenty of experience with '01+ headlights in a ranger. Just because it is accepted does not make it right unfortunately.

Oh it your load sags, get a bigger truck or some load leveling bags as well as taking the load out (not always possible).

Oh and about the e-threat I apologize it it was too direct and personal. I just get so mad every night when I encounter retard folks with blinding blue lights. I guess my culmination of hatred for everyone else preaching how great HIDs are ended up down pouring on your parade. But I do really do that [email protected] kind of stuff if it is blatantly retarded like hugely lifted trucks with multiple sets of HIDs. So yeah I was a bit harsh but you do get the credit for being the lumen that broke my filament, lol.

So cheers, if you were legal I would buy you a beer. (Assuming you are 19 or 20 by the 89 designation in your SN, stalkerish I know :) ) Nice picture by the way...

It's cool, I like to strongly voice my opinion whenever possible . I've also had much worse said to me and have said much worse to others, not a big deal either. And yep, I'm 19. If you would like to voice your opinion on anything else feel free to do so (expect politics) and I'll voice mine right back .


I was hoping that you would have asked to see my lighting expert certificate tho, I was gonna draw something else on MS Paint and post it lol.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 06-17-2009
yetti96's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Fort Myers, FL
Posts: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by korey89 View Post
It's cool, I like to strongly voice my opinion whenever possible . I've also had much worse said to me and have said much worse to others, not a big deal either. And yep, I'm 19. If you would like to voice your opinion on anything else feel free to do so (expect politics) and I'll voice mine right back .


I was hoping that you would have asked to see my lighting expert certificate tho, I was gonna draw something else on MS Paint and post it lol.
Well now that you mention it I demand it, at your leisure of course.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New bumper/hids on the 98 and some f150/ranger pr0n Sonic04Edge Snapshots 35 08-22-2011 10:22 PM
HIDs Crapped out Time to upgrade got???s btm757 General Ford Ranger Discussion 23 11-26-2009 08:59 AM
got my HIDs PICS! monkeysteeler12 Exterior Semi-Tech 3 04-29-2009 04:12 PM
just got hids! dangerranger93 Exterior Semi-Tech 15 01-06-2009 09:46 PM
Got me some HIDs. winks Snapshots 28 12-10-2008 09:22 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:21 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.