4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech General discussion of 4.0L OHV and SOHC V6 Ford Ranger engines.

Fuel Gauge Characteristics

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Gauge Characteristics

My question is based on this TSB. I believe that my '01 XLT Off-Road is affected by this. After I fill up, my gauge is down to 3/4's after 28-30 miles. It continues to drop rather quickly to 1/4 tank, after only 125-150 miles. It then will sit on 1/4 tank forever. Even in the E-red zone, I still have anywhere between 7-11 gallons left in the tank.

Has anyone had work done based on this TSB? Did it really help the condition?

Fuel Pump/Sender - Erratic Gauge Operation
Article No.
01-11-2

06/11/01

ELECTRICAL - FUEL GAUGE - FUEL GAUGE DROPS
FROM "FULL" TOO FAST - FUEL GAUGE INDICATES
LESS THAN THE ACTUAL FUEL LEFT IN THE
TANK - VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH 2.3L, 3.0L GAS
OR 4.0L SOHC ENGINE - VEHICLES PRODUCED
BEFORE 3/26/2001 ONLY

FORD:
2001 RANGER

This article is being republished in its entirety to update the engine applications.

ISSUE

Some vehicles equipped with a 2.3L, 3.0L gas, or 4.0L SOHC engine built before 3/26/2001 may exhibit a fuel gauge that drops from "FULL" too fast or indicates less than the actual fuel left in the tank (excessive tank reserve). This may be reported by the customer as perceived poor fuel economy or that the fuel tank will not hold the advertised capacity. This may be caused by the accuracy of the sending unit on the fuel pump assembly.

ACTION

Verify condition. Be advised, the fuel tank WILL hold the advertised capacity. If normal diagnostics cannot pinpoint condition, remove the existing fuel pump assembly and replace it with a more accurate fuel pump assembly. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Verify vehicle exhibits either fuel gauge dropping off from "FULL" quickly, fuel gauge reading inaccurate, excessive fuel consumption, customer assuming fuel tank is wrong size, and/or at "EMPTY" there is excessive amount of fuel within reserve.

If any or all conditions are present and normal diagnostics cannot pinpoint condition, remove existing fuel pump assembly and replace with revised fuel pump assembly. Refer to the parts table in this article for correct listing.

Parts Block

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES: NONE
SUPERSEDES: 01-7-9
WARRANTY STATUS: INFORMATION ONLY
OASIS CODES: 204000, 204200, 206000, 404000

Old 12-08-2006
I had the same problem, and had the TSB done (under warranty) - problem solved.

Old 12-08-2006
damn i out of warranty now. well, i guess i wont be getting this replaced.

Old 12-08-2006
RF Veteran
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by DaneTrain
damn i out of warranty now. well, i guess i wont be getting this replaced.
Early production 2001 only, so it doesn't apply to your 2003.

Old 12-08-2006
Whoops. I am the reading n00b.

Old 05-23-2020
Exactly my issue

So,
this is exactly the issue I am having with my 2001 Ranger Edge. Recently bought used, have replaced a few things (battery cables, vacuum hoses, serpentine belt) and in the midst of those simple fixes, I've noticed my gas gauge dropping dramatically. I'd assumed there was either a leak somewhere in my fuel delivery system, but couldn't visually find it, or the sensor was malfunctioning. Is there a "simple" fix for this?, Or is this something I need to swing by my neighborhood mechanic for? Don't mind attempting it myself, but am pretty limited on tools. Any help would be appreciated on here fellow ranger owners.

Originally Posted by this_is_nascar
My question is based on this TSB. I believe that my '01 XLT Off-Road is affected by this. After I fill up, my gauge is down to 3/4's after 28-30 miles. It continues to drop rather quickly to 1/4 tank, after only 125-150 miles. It then will sit on 1/4 tank forever. Even in the E-red zone, I still have anywhere between 7-11 gallons left in the tank.

Has anyone had work done based on this TSB? Did it really help the condition?

Fuel Pump/Sender - Erratic Gauge Operation
Article No.
01-11-2

06/11/01

ELECTRICAL - FUEL GAUGE - FUEL GAUGE DROPS
FROM "FULL" TOO FAST - FUEL GAUGE INDICATES
LESS THAN THE ACTUAL FUEL LEFT IN THE
TANK - VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH 2.3L, 3.0L GAS
OR 4.0L SOHC ENGINE - VEHICLES PRODUCED
BEFORE 3/26/2001 ONLY

FORD:
2001 RANGER

This article is being republished in its entirety to update the engine applications.

ISSUE

Some vehicles equipped with a 2.3L, 3.0L gas, or 4.0L SOHC engine built before 3/26/2001 may exhibit a fuel gauge that drops from "FULL" too fast or indicates less than the actual fuel left in the tank (excessive tank reserve). This may be reported by the customer as perceived poor fuel economy or that the fuel tank will not hold the advertised capacity. This may be caused by the accuracy of the sending unit on the fuel pump assembly.

ACTION

Verify condition. Be advised, the fuel tank WILL hold the advertised capacity. If normal diagnostics cannot pinpoint condition, remove the existing fuel pump assembly and replace it with a more accurate fuel pump assembly. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Verify vehicle exhibits either fuel gauge dropping off from "FULL" quickly, fuel gauge reading inaccurate, excessive fuel consumption, customer assuming fuel tank is wrong size, and/or at "EMPTY" there is excessive amount of fuel within reserve.

If any or all conditions are present and normal diagnostics cannot pinpoint condition, remove existing fuel pump assembly and replace with revised fuel pump assembly. Refer to the parts table in this article for correct listing.

Parts Block

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES: NONE
SUPERSEDES: 01-7-9
WARRANTY STATUS: INFORMATION ONLY
OASIS CODES: 204000, 204200, 206000, 404000