cage design - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


Fabrication & Tool Tech Need assistance with or ideas for custom metal fabrication? Want to show off your fabrication abilities or custom modifications? This is the sub-forum for you.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 01-18-2008
redranger4.0's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Firey depths
Posts: 15
cage design



Whats everyone think?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-18-2008
Roach2004's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 8,320
Looks like the normal. Anything special about it?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-18-2008
redranger4.0's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Firey depths
Posts: 15
it will be connected to a bed cage. other then that not so much. Its built more like a desert cage, but I figured overkill is better.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-18-2008
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
holy crap, overkill. lol

exo?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-18-2008
Roach2004's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 8,320
Yea an Exo cage would be badass!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-18-2008
redranger4.0's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Firey depths
Posts: 15
nope, internal.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-18-2008
n3elz's Avatar
RF Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Kennett Square, PA
Posts: 10,620
I think the internal cross and x-bracing is a bit much. You could probably reduce that and move it to the very back. Otherwise the rear of your cab becomes almost useless. You'll get tired of reaching over that pretty quick I think.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-19-2008
redranger4.0's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Firey depths
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by n3elz
I think the internal cross and x-bracing is a bit much. You could probably reduce that and move it to the very back. Otherwise the rear of your cab becomes almost useless. You'll get tired of reaching over that pretty quick I think.
The back part of the cage would be soley for attachig to the bed portion of the cage.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-19-2008
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: PUEBLO, CO
Posts: 3,753
needs more triangulation??
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-19-2008
2002FX4's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 428
i would think you wouldn't need the small X's in the lower portion of the ext. cab part, but rather some cross-bracing in the roof section.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-19-2008
RF Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: College Station, TX
Posts: 5,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]
needs more triangulation??
Haha I was waiting for that.

We used to use a formula in my engineering class freshman year to determine if a structure was stable, overconstrained, or unstable based on the number of links and joints in the structure, but it was only 2D and not 3D, so all i can really say is that I think it's a pretty good start! Definitely overkill I think.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-19-2008
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: PUEBLO, CO
Posts: 3,753
I dont think that design will fit very well in the cab. I can send you some pics of mine and what I would have liked to do a little different
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-19-2008
Drayke's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: LA / San Luis Obispo
Posts: 804
depends on what you intend it to use for. If it is indeed intended for a high speed application, you're probably good. If its a low speed crawler... you probably have a little more than you need.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-19-2008
redranger4.0's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Firey depths
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drayke
depends on what you intend it to use for. If it is indeed intended for a high speed application, you're probably good. If its a low speed crawler... you probably have a little more than you need.
No such thing as overkill when it comes to safety.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-19-2008
redranger4.0's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Firey depths
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by n3elz
I think the internal cross and x-bracing is a bit much. You could probably reduce that and move it to the very back. Otherwise the rear of your cab becomes almost useless. You'll get tired of reaching over that pretty quick I think.
I dont plan on using the back of the cab. Only thing that will be back there is the battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002FX4
i would think you wouldn't need the small X's in the lower portion of the ext. cab part, but rather some cross-bracing in the roof section.

There will be bars in the roof, I totally forgot to draw them in.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-19-2008
lifted97ranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Charlestown, IN
Posts: 1
you need atleast one cross across the top...and the "X" in the door area could be brought down to just 1 cross bar...
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-22-2008
redranger4.0's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Firey depths
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifted97ranger
you need atleast one cross across the top...and the "X" in the door area could be brought down to just 1 cross bar...
There will be an X on the roof, Just didnt draw it in. And the double door bars are there so that when you flop or roll you dont get a lap full of rocks. I will be running no doors alot and dont like the idea of only having one bar. id have to hop over one bar might as well be extra safe and dukes of hazard it.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-22-2008
Rooks's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]
I dont think that design will fit very well in the cab. I can send you some pics of mine and what I would have liked to do a little different
Sorry to Hi-jack red-ranger, but I'd like to see a caged Ranger.

Also, I think the cage design looks good. It's a lot more beef then simple one I was designing. Makes me think mines isn't enough. I'm curious to see how your going to tie it into the bed cage. I'm gonna have to keep my eye on this thread.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-22-2008
redranger4.0's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Firey depths
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperX103
Sorry to Hi-jack red-ranger, but I'd like to see a caged Ranger.

Also, I think the cage design looks good. It's a lot more beef then simple one I was designing. Makes me think mines isn't enough. I'm curious to see how your going to tie it into the bed cage. I'm gonna have to keep my eye on this thread.
A simpler cage would be fine, and if you plan on driving the truck on the road a cage like this would prolly be a pain since it will be harder to get into. But I figure since the truck is no longer a street driven rig I might as well go overboard and build it overkill. I actually did some bed cage design stuff today, Im going to try and get the two designs of mine into bendtech soon.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-22-2008
lifted97ranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Charlestown, IN
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by redranger4.0
There will be an X on the roof, Just didnt draw it in. And the double door bars are there so that when you flop or roll you dont get a lap full of rocks. I will be running no doors alot and dont like the idea of only having one bar. id have to hop over one bar might as well be extra safe and dukes of hazard it.
have you ever thought about making a set of half-doors?
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 01-22-2008
redranger4.0's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Firey depths
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifted97ranger
have you ever thought about making a set of half-doors?
They wont be strong enough for what Im looking for. the pined side so they can open wont be strong enough to take a "real" hit.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-22-2008
lifted97ranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Charlestown, IN
Posts: 1
now when I say half doors on a Ranger, I mean something like this:
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-22-2008
redranger4.0's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Firey depths
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifted97ranger
now when I say half doors on a Ranger, I mean something like this:
i know what you meant, but a sheetmetal door isnt the safety I was looking for. With no real inner support they are very weak and your relying on the latch to hold the door shut. Now I may cut a set of doors down to use as half doors but I wouldnt let them be the only guard on the side. If I do end up doing a half door it will look more like this....

Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-22-2008
lifted97ranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Charlestown, IN
Posts: 1
i would think if you had the cage inners, the door would only be a cosmetic thing anyways......something that would still make the truck street legal....
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-22-2008
redranger4.0's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Firey depths
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifted97ranger
i would think if you had the cage inners, the door would only be a cosmetic thing anyways......something that would still make the truck street legal....
doors are the least of my worries about street legality. Im going to have bigger problems like no airbags, ABS gone, CEL is on from all that, I might have to mod the emissions system too.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Exo Cage Thread redranger4.0 Fabrication & Tool Tech 61 05-05-2011 10:13 AM
Cage Material 99ranger4x4 Fabrication & Tool Tech 12 07-12-2008 11:33 AM
pics of roll cage 2001rangeredge Fabrication & Tool Tech 5 05-25-2006 12:50 AM
Bed Cage for suspention JERMasaurusREX Fabrication & Tool Tech 4 04-10-2006 03:42 PM
Truck vs. generator cage... pacodiablo General Ford Ranger Discussion 6 11-12-2004 05:11 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:16 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.