Custom heim steering - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


Fabrication & Tool Tech Need assistance with or ideas for custom metal fabrication? Want to show off your fabrication abilities or custom modifications? This is the sub-forum for you.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 03-05-2010
Alon's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 2,555
Custom heim steering

I'm building heim steering for my truck. I should have the rest of the parts I need this weekend and then will be doing the swap asap. If anyone is interested in a set of their own let me know and I will start pricing out a bolt on "kit"

Parts list:
3/4" Heims for the inners
7/8" Heims for outers
Custom machined and tapered pin for outer tie rods
Machined clevises for inner tie rod pivot

Heres a little teaser pic for you guys.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-05-2010
mlw20lu's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Loxahatchee, FL
Posts: 1,825
Ive been wanting to do this Forever!!!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-05-2010
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
very nice! lets see those machined pieces?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-05-2010
seed60's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (15)
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Mooresville, NC
Posts: 5,584
That's a good idea.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-05-2010
Alon's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 2,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by zabeard View Post
very nice! lets see those machined pieces?
Will grab some pics of the clevises today and will get those pins back tomorrow.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-05-2010
mlw20lu's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Loxahatchee, FL
Posts: 1,825
im so stoked
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-05-2010
Alon's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 2,555


Inner vs outer comparison


Inner clevis
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-05-2010
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
im interested in the outside piece!

those others look good. what brand heims? pretty beefy for the front of an IFS but im sure it will be worth it
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-05-2010
Alon's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 2,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by zabeard View Post
im interested in the outside piece!

those others look good. what brand heims? pretty beefy for the front of an IFS but im sure it will be worth it
I don't have the outers yet, picking them up tomorrow and I can't wait to see em either. They just got heat treated and coated black so they should look pretty good. Beefy for the IFS? ?Yea... you need to come out to CA and I'll show you why I need it...lol.

They are heims from a local shop called GMR (Home). I got a good deal on em but I've heard they like to squeak. I will be switching to FK heims once these are trash or squeak too bad that I cant take it.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-05-2010
--weezl--'s Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Calgary AB, Canada
Posts: 3,139
what do these do and why do you want them?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-05-2010
Alon's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 2,555
I am building new tie rods and using heims as the tie rod ends.

They are MUCH stronger than the factory tie rods and will give more articulation before binding.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-05-2010
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
shoot them with Wd-40 when you wash it or after running in the sand, they will last much longer. or so im told.

i just think they are a good size for that size tire! heck im running 7/8s with 42s on a D60. haha
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-05-2010
Alon's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 2,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by zabeard View Post
shoot them with Wd-40 when you wash it or after running in the sand, they will last much longer. or so im told.

i just think they are a good size for that size tire! heck im running 7/8s with 42s on a D60. haha
Its not the steering that's holding me back from going to a bigger tire its the spindle snouts and wheel bearings. I would be running 35s right now but with the way I beat on the truck in the desert I would be destroying wheel bearings even faster.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-05-2010
brianjwilson's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Hillsboro, Oregon
Posts: 3,650
Those look awesome, good work!
I have seen notes on Camburg's website that seems to say they have fabbed parts setup for heim steering for most rigs, although they are probably ridiculously priced.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-05-2010
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
so i have to ask, why do you guys sand the welds down on the bungs? just for looks?
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-05-2010
Alon's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 2,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by zabeard View Post
so i have to ask, why do you guys sand the welds down on the bungs? just for looks?
I got them from GMR with the bungs welded to those tubes already and one of them was ground down, so I did the other one to match it. They are tig welded so there wasnt really much to grind down and I know they are strong enough.

Sometimes I grind welds just to make it look super clean (my bumper frame horns) and other times I like seeing the welds... just depends.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-05-2010
--weezl--'s Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Calgary AB, Canada
Posts: 3,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alon View Post
I am building new tie rods and using heims as the tie rod ends.

They are MUCH stronger than the factory tie rods and will give more articulation before binding.
ahhh, so, you could, figuratively, get a tighter turning radius out of these then?
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-05-2010
TrePaul86's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Gresham, OR
Posts: 1,369
Be careful sanding down the TIG welds too much. On my traction bar, I sanded down the welds at the end of the tubes where the nut was welded to the tube and there wasn't enough left to re-enforce the weld and caused them to break. 2 of the 3 joints did this to me and I had to go back in and re TIG them up and left the weld re-enforcement on it this time, and have given the traction bar some good testing and not a snap yet.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-05-2010
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alon View Post
I got them from GMR with the bungs welded to those tubes already and one of them was ground down, so I did the other one to match it. They are tig welded so there wasnt really much to grind down and I know they are strong enough.

Sometimes I grind welds just to make it look super clean (my bumper frame horns) and other times I like seeing the welds... just depends.
i was curious... I never take the time to do it. I just figured it was a looks thing.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-05-2010
elementsenjoi's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 352 Florida
Posts: 1,301
I am interested. I always wanted to do this, but couldn't justify the price of the other companies. I'm curious to see what it would cost if you made them.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 03-05-2010
Alon's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 2,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by --weezl-- View Post
ahhh, so, you could, figuratively, get a tighter turning radius out of these then?
No, nothing in the factory steering binds when turning. I have issues with binding when offroad at max bump and droop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrePaul86 View Post
Be careful sanding down the TIG welds too much. On my traction bar, I sanded down the welds at the end of the tubes where the nut was welded to the tube and there wasn't enough left to re-enforce the weld and caused them to break. 2 of the 3 joints did this to me and I had to go back in and re TIG them up and left the weld re-enforcement on it this time, and have given the traction bar some good testing and not a snap yet.
I'm not worried at all. If i remember correctly, your heims and bungs were much much smaller than these. They are also not just butt welded together, there is bung and tube have grooves to get the welds to penetrate a bigger surface area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elementsenjoi View Post
I am interested. I always wanted to do this, but couldn't justify the price of the other companies. I'm curious to see what it would cost if you made them.
It will be over $500 at least.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-05-2010
--weezl--'s Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Calgary AB, Canada
Posts: 3,139
[threadjack] i am worried now that i have no idea what you drive, alon, any chance you could send me a link to some pics? [/threadjack]
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-05-2010
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
yeah heims like FKs will easily get you up to 500 in a hurry. lol

but they are so nice!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-05-2010
Alon's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 2,555
By the time you get 4 heims, 4 bungs, 4 misalignment spacers, 4 jam nuts, inner clevises, machined outer pin... its adds up very quickly.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-05-2010
Alon's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 2,555






Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
input needed-2wd edge heim stering compatibilty darangerdanger Suspension Tech 3 11-05-2010 10:09 AM
My desk grew a Heim Joint! 99ranger4x4 Snapshots 9 10-22-2008 03:35 PM
fabtech spindle to heim joint conversion KING EXPLORE Suspension Tech 11 05-11-2008 12:29 PM
SAS steering box problem and failing heim n3elz Suspension Tech 2 01-13-2008 06:34 PM
iggeeseatcovers SYNTHETIC LEATHER SEAT COVERS, custom armrest, and steering wheel,, FX2.3 Interior Semi-Tech 17 01-19-2007 04:09 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:59 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.