Cold air intakes! - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


Forced Induction & N20 Tech General discussion of forced induction and nitrous for the Ford Ranger.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 02-05-2009
yvillanz98's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: youngsville, pa
Posts: 33
Cold air intakes!

i was wondering if a cold air intake is worth buying? i have the 3.0

list some intakes for me and pros and cons
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-05-2009
edgeman4.0's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: All Over
Posts: 1,475
No! wait... are you off roading alot? or just pavment pounding?

off road = k&n drop in
mall crawler = cai
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-05-2009
whippersnapper02's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 7,415
Stock is a cold air intake. If you want an aftermarket intake get one that is enclosed. An intake alone wont do much anyway.

Search. This has been covered many times.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-05-2009
Brian's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Saint Louis, MO
Posts: 148
no
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-05-2009
yvillanz98's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: youngsville, pa
Posts: 33
80% pavement 20% dirt roads and off roadin
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-05-2009
01 ranger 4x4's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Vacaville, CA
Posts: 1,100
iether get the volant one that is enclosed or a similar one
or get a k&n drop in and do the airbox mod
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-05-2009
edgeman4.0's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: All Over
Posts: 1,475
k&n drop in then. cheaper than a full cai. and it breathes better than oem.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-06-2009
Roddy's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,332
no gains over a K&N drop in. Save your money
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-06-2009
04blackedge's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 23,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgeman4.0 View Post
k&n drop in then. cheaper than a full cai. and it breathes better than oem.
How do you know this? The engine only pulls through as much are as it can handle, unless you are running forced induction or something like that the stock filter will allow more than enough through and you won't have to worry about dirtying up your MAF sensor.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-06-2009
wydopnthrtl's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: SE, Mi
Posts: 2,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04blackedge View Post
How do you know this? The engine only pulls through as much are as it can handle, unless you are running forced induction or something like that the stock filter will allow more than enough through and you won't have to worry about dirtying up your MAF sensor.

The delta P across a K&N panel filter is less than a stock paper filter. That means less pumping losses to move air across it. I'm not drawing any conclusions... just stating what *possible* gains there are with a K&N panel.

For the original question. I vote for a K&N FIPK kit and add a outerwears prefilter **if** you spend time at elevated rpms. (4000+)
If you don't have the engine that high very often.. don't waste yer money.

Rich
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-06-2009
yvillanz98's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: youngsville, pa
Posts: 33
i did the little air box mod (removing the snorkel) i think i will drop in a k&n just for more air flow
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-06-2009
Jp7's Avatar
Jp7 Jp7 is offline
Member
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: My LED lab or on the dyno
Posts: 2,970
Waste of money on a stock engine with a stock tune. Unless you are doing it so it sounds "cool". Listen if you want, but I tune for a living.

Last edited by Jp7; 02-06-2009 at 05:37 PM. Reason: I forgot a period
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-07-2009
Brian's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Saint Louis, MO
Posts: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by wydopnthrtl View Post
The delta P across a K&N panel filter is less than a stock paper filter. That means less pumping losses to move air across it. I'm not drawing any conclusions... just stating what *possible* gains there are with a K&N panel.

For the original question. I vote for a K&N FIPK kit and add a outerwears prefilter **if** you spend time at elevated rpms. (4000+)
If you don't have the engine that high very often.. don't waste yer money.

Rich
I know exactly what you mean about the pressure drop across the filter, but the fact is that the stock intakes are really well designed and you shouldnt mess with them if your truck is stock. Some cars have a ridiculous amount baffles and restrictions and changing the intake set-up is worth it. In our case, it just is not worth it. yes your engine has to work less to pull in the intake air, but the difference is negligible.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-07-2009
Jp7's Avatar
Jp7 Jp7 is offline
Member
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: My LED lab or on the dyno
Posts: 2,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
I know exactly what you mean about the pressure drop across the filter, but the fact is that the stock intakes are really well designed and you shouldnt mess with them if your truck is stock. Some cars have a ridiculous amount baffles and restrictions and changing the intake set-up is worth it. In our case, it just is not worth it. yes your engine has to work less to pull in the intake air, but the difference is negligible.
good advice - the ONLY way you will get extra MPG's from an intake is if you are constantly revving the engine so high that the resistance will actually be different, in that case you could save more gas with a lighter foot.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-07-2009
rizoss16's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: CT
Posts: 808
I did the air box mod where you remove the silencer because I thought it would sound cool, but I cannot notice any difference in sound, so should I put it back in? Or does it really matter?
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-07-2009
chainfire's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mission B.C.
Posts: 3,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by rizoss16 View Post
I did the air box mod where you remove the silencer because I thought it would sound cool, but I cannot notice any difference in sound, so should I put it back in? Or does it really matter?
Doesnt matter
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-08-2009
crawly1025's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Steubenville Ohio
Posts: 1,361
I know my "cold" air intake did nothing but pull in loads of engine heat....especially when I was in traffic. I could monitor the temp with my Scangauge. I put the stock set up back in just to see if there was a difference....huge temp drop. I'm going to stick with the factory air box set up. Bought a Fram Airhog stock replacement washable filter for it, and I'll just go with that.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-08-2009
wydopnthrtl's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: SE, Mi
Posts: 2,342
Hotter air actually makes for better mileage. However.. the stock tune starts to pull timing at something pretty low like 110F. (I posted a picture on here somewhere showing this) So the open conical filters are best at pure flow. But the tune will pull power because of the underhood heat.

Rich
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-08-2009
ChaosFromAbove's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Haddon Heights, NJ
Posts: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jp7 View Post
Waste of money on a stock engine with a stock tune. Unless you are doing it so it sounds "cool". Listen if you want, but I tune for a living.
i meant to ask you on my thread...but just thought of it now... Pretty much purchasing an aftermarket intake is just for looks? right?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-08-2009
Jp7's Avatar
Jp7 Jp7 is offline
Member
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: My LED lab or on the dyno
Posts: 2,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosFromAbove View Post
i meant to ask you on my thread...but just thought of it now... Pretty much purchasing an aftermarket intake is just for looks? right?
looks and sound. If you had a modified engine (say ported heads) and a better tune you could score some more torque.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-08-2009
Jp7's Avatar
Jp7 Jp7 is offline
Member
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: My LED lab or on the dyno
Posts: 2,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by wydopnthrtl View Post
Hotter air actually makes for better mileage. However.. the stock tune starts to pull timing at something pretty low like 110F. (I posted a picture on here somewhere showing this) So the open conical filters are best at pure flow. But the tune will pull power because of the underhood heat.

Rich
If you say so.

Last edited by Jp7; 02-08-2009 at 08:27 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-12-2009
rizoss16's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: CT
Posts: 808
Quote:
Originally Posted by wydopnthrtl View Post
Hotter air actually makes for better mileage. However.. the stock tune starts to pull timing at something pretty low like 110F. (I posted a picture on here somewhere showing this) So the open conical filters are best at pure flow. But the tune will pull power because of the underhood heat.

Rich
So if I put on a CAI, the cone filter sucking in the hot air from the engine will actually improve fuel economy? Sacrificing some power for fuel economy is worth it to me.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-12-2009
darkstar_420's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: sk
Posts: 621
When i put my k&n fipk on i noticed a slight difference in throttle response, and during acceleration i also noticed a differece.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-12-2009
Jp7's Avatar
Jp7 Jp7 is offline
Member
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: My LED lab or on the dyno
Posts: 2,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by rizoss16 View Post
So if I put on a CAI, the cone filter sucking in the hot air from the engine will actually improve fuel economy? Sacrificing some power for fuel economy is worth it to me.
.

Hot air is less dense. This means there are less air molucules getting into your engine. Your computer uses sensors to try and mix 14.7 parts of air with 1 part of fuel. If you pull in less air you will squirt less fuel. If you have less fuel then you get less power.

best gas mileage tips come from reducing losses..

weight, friction, drag. Every wantabee tuner says "oh my new cold air intake has less friction in the pipes so i'll get better mileage because its easier to suck in air without restricting the engines intake stroke", but in reality there is no restriction on your stock intake system at a whopping cruising 1500-2500 RPM. think about it. If you are cruising for gas mileage then where is your RPM? Low right?

Your engine might actually "feel" less intake resistance when you are on it ***** to the wall at 5,000 rpm with a new intake, but you will get crap mileage at this rpm because your engine is sucking in air so fast - see the logic here?
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-12-2009
crawly1025's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Steubenville Ohio
Posts: 1,361
^ Agreed and well put JP.

Just as a FYI, the stock intake back on the rig withan AigHog replacement filter pulls much cooler temps. Just in case anyone was interested. This is proven since you can see the Intake Air temp if you have ScanGauge connected.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Homemade Cold Air Intakes B300OWNER 2.9L & 3.0L V6 Tech 8 06-01-2017 12:48 PM
Cold air intakes? 1997DangerRanger General Technical & Electrical 5 02-20-2010 01:20 AM
cold air intakes worth it? djkroemer08 General Ford Ranger Discussion 6 09-14-2008 10:05 PM
cheap air intakes vs expensive intakes bpolly_2004 4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech 4 03-27-2007 01:04 PM
do K&N cold air intakes void factory warranty? dixie789456 2.9L & 3.0L V6 Tech 14 10-27-2006 09:07 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:40 AM.