General Technical & Electrical General technical and electrical discussion for the Ford Ranger that does not fit in any other sub-forum.

HVAC recirc modification?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
HVAC recirc modification?

I'm one who *LOVES* to have the HVAC on recirc mode. Especially in the summer heat. But on a ranger the only way to do this is by putting the ac on MAX. That means I'm stuck running the compressor in the cold and stuck having the air blow out the vents. I'd like to have the ability to push a button and activate the recircmode door. (a lot of cars do this)

Does anyone know how I can do this to my 2006 FX4?

Rich

Old 11-04-2007
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, the problem I see with modding the recirculation door control by way of vacuum is that, the same white line that feeds vacuum to the re-circ door is also the same source of vacuum (gray vacuum line) for the hot water control valve. The re-circ door and the hot water control valve are on the same vacuum circuit. Both valves get closed by virtue of vacuum when either "MAX A/C" or "OFF" is selected. (Which is why the heater control valve is only closed when MAX A/C or OFF modes are selected).

You wouldn't want to cut off hot coolant to the heater core in the middle of winter, which is what happens when the heater control door closes by virtue of vacuum.

In short, you will have to (1) come up with a way to control the re-circulation door vacuum valve independently of the heater control valve, and (2) figure out a way to route vacuum to the re-circ door control valve in modes other than MAX A/C and OFF.

Old 11-04-2007
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
why not install a switch that cuts off the A/C compressor? then you could put the control panel in the MAX A/C mode and still blow hot air....

just put a SPST switch on your PURPLE wire coming out of the back of the HVAC control panel to stop the current from reaching the compressor and triggering it to come on.....that way you can also have the A/C compressor off in the winter time when you are using the selections that run the A/C compressor (defrost, upper and lower vents, etc.)....

^--doing that would also keep your efan from powering on when the compressor demand wire (the purple wire) has power going to the compressor....that way the engine heats up faster...

hope that helped....

Old 11-04-2007
Originally Posted by lifted97ranger
why not install a switch that cuts off the A/C compressor? then you could put the control panel in the MAX A/C mode and still blow hot air....

just put a SPST switch on your PURPLE wire coming out of the back of the HVAC control panel to stop the current from reaching the compressor and triggering it to come on.....that way you can also have the A/C compressor off in the winter time when you are using the selections that run the A/C compressor (defrost, upper and lower vents, etc.)....

^--doing that would also keep your efan from powering on when the compressor demand wire (the purple wire) has power going to the compressor....that way the engine heats up faster...

hope that helped....
One drawback to modding the A/C compressor circuit like that is it doesn't solve the problem posed by the closing of the heater control valve when MAX A/C is selected. So in cold ambiant temperatures, you would only get cold air blowing in the cab since there would be no hot coolant flowing through the heater core.

I'm thinking that maybe Rich could install another valve in the white vacuum line that runs to the re-circ door valve (to be located after the T to the heater control valve), with said valve being controlled electrically by virtue of a switch, that might work. The trick of course would be finding an electrically-controlled vacuum valve with two hose ports...

Old 11-04-2007
i know when i had the stock HVAC controls in my truck (and any other truck i have ever been in, up to a buddies '03 Ranger), when the purple wire was disconnected and i had it on the A/C settings with the temp over on hot, it would blow out hot air......the heater control valve shut off is in the temp control section, not the selector position....

Old 11-04-2007
Originally Posted by lifted97ranger
....the heater control valve shut off is in the temp control section, not the selector position....
That's incorrect. Check it out:

Old 11-04-2007
huh...maybe it is just open in the regular A/C state....i will have to try the MAX A/C state.....

Old 11-05-2007
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
When it comes to the e-fan & AC. I can simply unplug my AC tap going into the flex-a-lite controller. And I live in Mich. So I can just unplg the AC wires to keep the compressor from spinning as well.

Here is the thing. I've nearly always hot. High metabolisim or something? So I really like to have the air flowing to the floor to keep my feet cooler.

I appreciate the replys guys. Sounds like there is not an easy (electrical) way to do this.

Rich