General Ford Ranger Discussion General discussion of the Ford Ranger that does not fit in any other sub-forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Air Snorkels

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by blackbetty
heres my snorkel, i didnt like the idea of a big plastic thing sticking out my fender so i made this, mind you im also not a serious offroader cuz this is also my dd,
nicely done dude got any more pics of your truck

Old 11-14-2006
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mudranger96
nicely done dude got any more pics of your truck
thanks...and yea here are some more...

can any one tell the difference between these two? besides that theres a headlight in one and besides the time of the of day...lol

Old 12-11-2006
Pics of my Cowl Snorkel install.

Old 12-11-2006
Hey guys do you recomend i get a snorkle on my prerunner? i hope you all read my profile (:

Old 12-11-2006
RF Veteran
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DGAF909er PRErunnin
Hey guys do you recomend i get a snorkle on my prerunner? i hope you all read my profile (:
Ha ha! Smartass!

Sure you need a snorkel man. But you need a special MIRAGE snorkel. If you hit one of those desert mirages of water holes at a high speed, you could take in imaginary liquid and end up with a ectoplasmic hydro-lock.

That takes and exorcist and a large donation to the church to cure, so I wouldn't fool around -- get the snorkel!

Old 01-19-2007
Ruts

Originally Posted by Ranger1
sometimes its not the speed that kills, its the deepth of the water and or the ruts you could not see, even if you stop get out and check the depth their can always be ruts you don't see.
Twice on the Honda Forman I've fallen victim to the unsuspecting rut.. I thought it was just a normal mud crossing.. well.. Wound up in mud past my waist trying to save the quad from tipping over deeper into the rut... There's no feeling like being nice and dry in a warm cloths, dry socks and shoes, then BAM! You gotta make that quick decision to jump into the seemingly bottomless cold mud to save her...

Other time I had to do a simple 10 foot creek crossing where the water looked fine until the other side.. Later on, by method of stick measuring.. I found it to be about waist deep.. Luckily both the camera and quad made it.

As for water crossings in the ranger... I haven't had too many crazy situations yet.. I ususally don't take it in too deep b/c it's my only truck and i'm definitly not rich so couldn't get er fixed right away !

Old 02-03-2007
Originally Posted by trail_ranger_357
As for water crossings in the ranger... I haven't had too many crazy situations yet.. I ususally don't take it in too deep b/c it's my only truck and i'm definitly not rich so couldn't get er fixed right away !

welcome to the club!

Old 03-18-2007
Has anyone ever found out what exact model of ARB snorkel Jeff ran on his ranger I see a few different ones for the 80 Landcruiser he mentions. I'm def. doing this mod and running the dryer hose to the spout on the factory airbox of the my 4.0L. I just need an exact model # so I can buy it.

Thanks!

Old 08-07-2007
Originally Posted by FauX

Decals add 20 hp didn't you know that?

And Vinyls add 100 MPH!!!!

Old 08-07-2007
Originally Posted by NastyNate
You could just cut a hole to your cab. Then you wouldn't have to mount it on the out side.
You know... that is a good idea... HOWEVER now everytime you have the engine running, you have More engine noise in the cab because of the throttle body sending all the engine noise throught the intake... yeah, I'll pass... thanx

Old 02-15-2008
I have a snorkel on my truck now and to be honest with you when I hooked it up the truck just felt slugish, so I've got it to where I can run my FIPK System from K&N while I am on the highway and pop my hood and hook it up for off road.

Old 02-17-2008
Originally Posted by poogster1985
I have a snorkel on my truck now and to be honest with you when I hooked it up the truck just felt slugish, so I've got it to where I can run my FIPK System from K&N while I am on the highway and pop my hood and hook it up for off road.
Read the whole post and you would've seen I said the same thing and came up with a solution.

Old 02-17-2008
well thats ok i figured it out not long after i posted that comment

Old 02-20-2008
poogster do you have any pictures of how you ran it under your fender along with a picture of how u have set up with k&n

Old 02-20-2008
also has anyone ever heard of the tjm snorkel. I found it on the interent and it appears to be what ford puts on the mazda and the ranger in indonesia (go figure they have a ranger that comes stock with a snorkel) any word on how well these seal and what not?

Old 12-06-2008
i wish i wouldve had it last spring when i sucked water into my 3.0 and locked it up...the air-intake on the 97s is so dumb they run down to the front bumber almost and if tou go deeper than that your done!!!

Old 12-06-2008
good job on the thread digging!

Old 09-18-2009
anyone ever run drier ducting, or flexi downspout material to the back of the cab, or in the box for a snorkle? i would love to set one up, even if it's a hook it up later type deal, but i don't want to cut the fenders, or hood, of a truck that only has 38000 miles on it...

Old 02-11-2010
Im definatly making me a snorkel when I get my new motor in...lol

Old 04-05-2010
they look cool. but if you don't need it, then why get it?

Old 04-05-2010
when you think about it, a snorkel is actually a true cold air intake. its not located anywhere near the engine or engine compartment. where as most other intakes, are still located inside the engine compartment and have flimsy and pathetic excuses for heat shields that do little.

i want to get a snorkel, but have it set-up to be removable, go off-roading install, street use remove and cover hole with access panel. or i might get lazy and just have it on the whole time..... decisions, decisions......

Old 04-05-2010
pawel, check out my "sub-snorkel" thread... search it... it's what i will do eventually it's going to be a convertable, cowel snorkel

Old 10-16-2010
snorkels

sorry guy's but here are some real facts about snorkel.
1) snorkels are not just for water crossings. they go up to roof height because when you are driving in dusty conditions or in groups where you are in someone elses dust you would notice that the dust gets thiner the higher from the ground you go there for sucking air from roof level means sucking in less dust.
2) most factory intakes suck air from the front wheel arch. again go for a drive on a dusty road then remove your inner gaurd and see how much falls out.
3) by having an air ram on the snorkel it creates a cold air ram effect which might(no promises here) improve engine performance and/or economy.

that is why here in australia you can get factory fitted snorkel from. ford/mazda, toyota, nissan, etc.

now i have a question. why does it seem that ford does not have a diesel model of the courier/ranger in the states when we have a choice of either a 2.5l diesel or a 3.0l diesel here? I also looked at ford america's 2011 ranger and my good how out of date is it. it would never sell here. hell it looks similar to my 03 model courier. courier is what the ranger was called here until recently

Old 10-17-2010
oh and if you are planing to do a bit of water work don't forget the little things that usually get forgotten like extending your diff and transmission breathers to a higher than factory location. a good place is the engine bay on the firewall. etc

Old 10-17-2010
Old Guy User…
Received 74 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by courier03
now i have a question. why does it seem that ford does not have a diesel model of the courier/ranger in the states when we have a choice of either a 2.5l diesel or a 3.0l diesel here? I also looked at ford america's 2011 ranger and my good how out of date is it. it would never sell here. hell it looks similar to my 03 model courier. courier is what the ranger was called here until recently
One of Ford’s better ideas, “Cram the F-150 down the American’s throat".
Ford thinks they can dictate what we drive, sort of like Obama and his policies.
Ford in a statement said that the only people that buy the smaller Ranger are people that are interested in fuel economy and we are making a higher mpg F-150 so they can buy that instead. Sorry FORD, NOT ! WRONG ! Yota here we come.

Ford is already losing customers and will be losing more when the Ranger go out of production here in the states, we that drive small pickup do so because we like the not just any fuel saving over the larger trucks.

IF FORD WOULD ONLY LISTEN !

Too bad they don’t listen to there customers better.

As far as the styling, yes Ford has been behind in design here in the states, why who know for sure but I still wish the 2003 design was still in existence, LoL.

Quick Reply: Air Snorkels