Anybody buy extended warranty? Worth it? I have 140k - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


General Ford Ranger Discussion General discussion of the Ford Ranger that does not fit in any other sub-forum.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 10-12-2011
ChargerOnDavins's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 67
Anybody buy extended warranty? Worth it? I have 140k

My truck is getting old I am pretty sure in the next 6 months I'll need a transmission anyway.

Anyone have some prices on an extended drivetrain or any other warranty from Ford OR from a third party company?

I had a buddy who did this on his explorer, and they paid for his tranny after 3 months and 200 miles of driving... I can't recall the name of it though.

Just need a guestimate, weighing my options here.

2003 Ford Ranger Tremor 2wd, 140k miles, 3.0, 5r55e trans.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-12-2011
HarryTasker's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,491
How much for the maintenance agreement. There is often a lot of questionable fine print in those.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-12-2011
ChargerOnDavins's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryTasker View Post
How much for the maintenance agreement. There is often a lot of questionable fine print in those.
that is what I was trying to figure out; a ball park estimate by someone who has used these services.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-12-2011
KLC's Avatar
KLC KLC is offline
RF Veteran
iTrader: (29)
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 13,115
I took an extended warranty from Ford, but it is on an Edge so what I can offer won't help.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-12-2011
ChargerOnDavins's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 67
thanks anyway!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-12-2011
morris's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: South Detroit.
Posts: 7,833
I didn't. It's a new truck. If things are gonna go in the drivetrain it's gonna be things like u joints and whatnot. The only way is if you beat on it like it owes you money.

Those warrarties are a money grab. I did get the one for tires and 3 years later, I upgraded and still have to pay for it since it's worked into the monthly price.

I just saw, your truck is 8 years old. I wouldnt. Use that coin towards parts for your truck
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-13-2011
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Eastern WA state
Posts: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerOnDavins View Post
My truck is getting old I am pretty sure in the next 6 months I'll need a transmission anyway.

Anyone have some prices on an extended drivetrain or any other warranty from Ford OR from a third party company?

I had a buddy who did this on his explorer, and they paid for his tranny after 3 months and 200 miles of driving... I can't recall the name of it though.

Just need a guestimate, weighing my options here.

2003 Ford Ranger Tremor 2wd, 140k miles, 3.0, 5r55e trans.
Did your buddy buy it at the time he bought the vehicle, or ultra soon thereafter? What I have seen is that on vehicles that are wayyyy past expiration of factory warranty is that the insurer may require you to take it in, at your expense, for a health checkup. They don't want to willingly/knowingly take on vehicles with problems as this causes them to have to raise policy prices in order to recoup. This makes future policies more expensive than their competitors, and they lose business. Insurance companies exist for the sole purpose of making money and not to lose it. Your/our/my needs come second.

As was noted earlier, read that fine print very, very carefully; many of the third party (non-Ford) make sure they have plenty of loopholes and wiggle room. Then there is the matter of the deductible. As for the best policy to buy, the one that is most likely to deliver results with the fewest possible hassles, I've heard over and over that the only policy you really want to consider is the one offered by Ford. I don't know a price, but after finding them and reading the fine print, perhaps buying a rebuilt or used tranny and putting it in yourself will make good sense.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-13-2011
ChargerOnDavins's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboyBilly9Mile View Post
Did your buddy buy it at the time he bought the vehicle, or ultra soon thereafter? What I have seen is that on vehicles that are wayyyy past expiration of factory warranty is that the insurer may require you to take it in, at your expense, for a health checkup. They don't want to willingly/knowingly take on vehicles with problems as this causes them to have to raise policy prices in order to recoup. This makes future policies more expensive than their competitors, and they lose business. Insurance companies exist for the sole purpose of making money and not to lose it. Your/our/my needs come second.

As was noted earlier, read that fine print very, very carefully; many of the third party (non-Ford) make sure they have plenty of loopholes and wiggle room. Then there is the matter of the deductible. As for the best policy to buy, the one that is most likely to deliver results with the fewest possible hassles, I've heard over and over that the only policy you really want to consider is the one offered by Ford. I don't know a price, but after finding them and reading the fine print, perhaps buying a rebuilt or used tranny and putting it in yourself will make good sense.
Yeah, he actually scammed them, which is crap. He put it on a lift and moved the tires for the mileage so he could get the new transmission, and waited. I wouldn't do that. Ford's trans tech says my transmission is fine, and that it was a fluke. I've driven in 10 times since, even beating on it.. and the O/D light has gone away.

The evap light I found out is from topping off my fuel tank. Oops.

I wouldn't just pay a few months worth and bail when trans dies, that's fraud and raises the prices for everyone else. I have had the vehicle under a year. I always read the fine print, and he did not have to take his vehicle in for service, but I believe a local mechanic looked it over "and gave them the OK" which of course was rigged.

I am more interested in the ability to pay off the repairs via insurance and pay extra for piece of mind throughout the next few years I own the truck.

May be a better move to just throw the 500 dollar junk yard transmission in to it when it dies, it IS a 2wd which are MUCH cheaper to put transmissions in, much easier.

Thanks folks!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-13-2011
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 737
When I bought my Ranger it only had 31,500 miles on it but was 4 years old, and I bought an extended 3 year warranty from Ford for $900, I never had to use it so I basically just threw that money away. But I'm also glad I never used it because everything on my truck was and still is A-OK.

Buying a used vehicle I was concerned there might be a problem, but here it almost 5 years later and still no major problems. It was nice to have that 3 year warranty while it lasted, it kind of made me feel like I had a new truck.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ANYBODY KNOW A GOOD FULL SUSPENSION LIFT FOR A 98 xlt 4x4 4.0 extended cab KJH2129 Suspension Tech 2 09-19-2012 12:29 PM
Extended Extended cab? Briar New Ideas 7 01-13-2011 10:57 AM
Extended Warranty smokedawg General Ford Ranger Discussion 6 08-22-2010 03:00 PM
Turned 140K Today Takeda General Ford Ranger Discussion 11 07-14-2007 10:10 PM
Ford Extended Warranty, to buy or not to buy? SonicRanger001 General Ford Ranger Discussion 23 02-09-2006 03:26 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:40 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.