Aussie Locker driving review - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


General Ford Ranger Discussion General discussion of the Ford Ranger that does not fit in any other sub-forum.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 02-26-2008
deathbypsi's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Temperance Mi
Posts: 676
Aussie Locker driving review

Well I have seen people ask a thousand times about how its like to live with a front locker everytime the subject of a Aussie Locker comes up so I thought I would give my impressions of mine so far.
Mine has been in for a week now and I have put almost 500 miles on it so far.
I have drove 125miles from home and wheeled it hard and it worked like a charm! Off road in the snow and mud I loved it cuz I could point and shoot the truck so much better with it locked.Seemed like in a lot of the tight trails and turns I could throttle up and have the front pull me around where I wanted to go where before it would want to push straight thru a turn cuz of the rear posi and soft ground.
The clicking from the locker is hardly noticable but I can feel it in the wheel,nothing major.
I drove in 4-5" of snow today on public streets to work with it locked and it was a dream.No issues at all even when I hit some clean pavement.
On my way home from work the streets were clear and I purposely left it locked to see what it would be like if I had a live axle setup.Even on clean pavement it was very easy to drive with just the slight sound of it clicking on turns.It does return to center alot faster and that would be the only thing to get used to.

So, I would have to say it was a very good mod for my truck and it did not take away from its daily driver status at all.I could see having one in a live axle truck as not an issue too as long as the clicking didnt bug you.
Off road does take some adjusting of your driving style but transforms the truck into such a better rig.
I know people have shown concern about using one in the snow/ice on the streets and I can say it only made mine more drivable in these bad conditions.I actully slid down an overpass on the ice and snow tryin to turn onto the e-way.....as it looked like I was going to slide right past the entrance ramp with the wheel locked to the left I just stabbed the gas and it pulled me right around into the turn and away I went.

If you have had any issues or agree with me please post em up
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-26-2008
n3elz's Avatar
RF Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Kennett Square, PA
Posts: 10,620
Nice to hear what you say -- I'm thinking about one for my front Dana 44. Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-26-2008
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
i got one for my D44 for $150... cant wait to try it out but the results will be much different than yours on the street.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-26-2008
thesoundmaster's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Centennial CO
Posts: 5
I got one for the rear of my Bronco for trade on a Detroit for a 9inch. Can't wait to get the pig on the road and install it. Next is getting one for the front.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-26-2008
RazorsEDGE's Avatar
There's no lifeguard in the gene pool
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 7,501
I love mine. Pulls me through anything offroad. And aside from the clicking its completely invisible on the road. It didn't change the way my truck drove one bit, unless 4wd is engaged of course.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-27-2008
BBBB51's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Alb. N.M.
Posts: 213
I would have to agree with u on the fact that in the ice and snow it drove much better than i expected since lots of ppl have issues with front lockers in that kind of driving.Its great to hear someone else that didnt have any ice and snow issues . Good to hear. Good luck with your new locker.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-27-2008
k.blakeley's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: East Texas
Posts: 2,823
I have a live axle and was thinkin about gettin one,mines just a weekend toy as long as my work beater still runs. You had no trouble with it locked taking sharp turns? In Texas we have no snow or ice just rain,you would recommend that this product is safe with little or no changing in driving style for a live axle setup?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-27-2008
n3elz's Avatar
RF Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Kennett Square, PA
Posts: 10,620
They tell you not to use it with a full-time live front axle. Go to the Aussie Locker site and read the application recommendations and decide for yourself.

It is only recommended for front applications with manual locking hubs.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-27-2008
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
yes but these above posters are live axle setups
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-27-2008
n3elz's Avatar
RF Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Kennett Square, PA
Posts: 10,620
And their lockers will probably wear out prematurely or fail in service.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-27-2008
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
possibly.. but ive read several people do not have many issues with the aussie locker in their ranger
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-27-2008
V8 Level II's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by n3elz View Post
They tell you not to use it with a full-time live front axle. Go to the Aussie Locker site and read the application recommendations and decide for yourself.
Actually, the prohibition is against using it with full time 4WD systems as used on some Explorers. There are no Rangers with full time 4WD and the Aussie is listed for use on Rangers with live axles.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-27-2008
deathbypsi's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Temperance Mi
Posts: 676
My friend with that red XJ in my pic post from my Mounds trip has had one in his front d30 for almost two years now and has had no issues with his at all. He daily drives the XJ all year long.I could see Aussie not recomending one in a live axle cuz of the clicking and the fact you can feel it clicking. You know there would be a hand full of dumbasses out there to put it in a live axle truck and then complain because it doesnt feel 100% stock anymore.I think its just a way for them to cover their asses when some tard calls and complains about the way it feels on the street ....even tho its made to inhance OFF ROAD performance.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-27-2008
V8 Level II's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathbypsi View Post
I could see Aussie not recomending one in a live axle cuz of the clicking and the fact you can feel it clicking. You know there would be a hand full of dumbasses out there to put it in a live axle truck and then complain because it doesnt feel 100% stock anymore.
No. Once again, they only tell you not to use the Aussie on a front live axle that cannot be disconnected from the rest of the drivetrain - like full-time 4WD Explorers. If used on a full time 4WD system, it would be locking all the time on pavement and tearing up the diff and half shafts.

There is no such problem on 4x4 Rangers because they are all part time 4WD systems. The front Aussie will not have a problem when operated on pavement in 2WD mode. That is because the input is disconnected at the transfer case and the Aussie cannot lock without driveshaft torque applied.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-27-2008
deathbypsi's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Temperance Mi
Posts: 676
Ah yes,that is true.Forgot about the AWD stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-27-2008
n3elz's Avatar
RF Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Kennett Square, PA
Posts: 10,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwenzing View Post
Actually, the prohibition is against using it with full time 4WD systems as used on some Explorers. There are no Rangers with full time 4WD and the Aussie is listed for use on Rangers with live axles.
Ah, my bad then. I read it a couple of weeks ago when someone else posted on it and apparently got the wrong impressions.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-27-2008
cory07ranger4x4's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Corvallis,OR
Posts: 502
thanks a lot!! I was on the fence about getting one and now I know I will.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-28-2008
V8 Level II's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by n3elz View Post
Ah, my bad then. I read it a couple of weeks ago when someone else posted on it and apparently got the wrong impressions.
The way it is written up on the distributor's site, it is easy to come to that conclusion. As a matter of fact, I was concerned about that warning and questioned them about it before I ordered mine.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-14-2008
04 EDGE
Unregistered User
 
Posts: n/a
now all you need is a rear one and you might be able to make it up that hill next time brian.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-14-2008
deathbypsi's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Temperance Mi
Posts: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04 EDGE View Post
now all you need is a rear one and you might be able to make it up that hill next time brian.
No I need about two more inches of ground clearance!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Aussie locker in rear? leadfoot Drivetrain Tech 8 03-13-2008 07:59 PM
Aussie Locker?? cory07ranger4x4 Drivetrain Tech 52 02-19-2008 02:39 AM
Aussie Locker Install brianjwilson Drivetrain Tech 8 10-01-2007 12:53 PM
Before I order the Aussie locker..... l2en Drivetrain Tech 49 05-11-2007 02:48 PM
Front locker snow review and bogger review (Pics) SuperSonicFX4 Drivetrain Tech 34 03-26-2005 12:31 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:40 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.