Extremely newbie question.... - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


General Ford Ranger Discussion General discussion of the Ford Ranger that does not fit in any other sub-forum.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 11-07-2009
Old97's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 13
Extremely newbie question....

I've been hunting on Google and on the forum for a definition of this, but can't seem to find it.

What is flexing and what does it do for your truck?

I've seen some impressive pictures posted on the forum of flexing (the intentional ones, not the accidental ones) and often wondered.... "Why?"

In reading, I've learned enough that my truck couldn't do it unless I wanted to destroy a $4,000 camper top. I'm just curious what the benefits are of flexing.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-07-2009
russian's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Windsor, ON
Posts: 574
LOL.

There's no benefit, it's just for fun. Your camper top won't be harmed. haha
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-07-2009
Level III Supporter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: usa
Posts: 24,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by russian View Post
LOL.

There's no benefit, it's just for fun. Your camper top won't be harmed. haha
it can be when the bed tweeks out it will twist it
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-07-2009
99offroadrngr's Avatar
TOYOTA
iTrader: (37)
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 11,728
4000 for a camper top? wtf lol
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-07-2009
Toms994x4's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sanford, NC
Posts: 1,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99offroadrngr View Post
4000 for a camper top? wtf lol
My trucks not even worth that much.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-07-2009
93rangerXLT4x4's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Salmon Arm BC
Posts: 959
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old97 View Post
I've been hunting on Google and on the forum for a definition of this, but can't seem to find it.

What is flexing and what does it do for your truck?

I've seen some impressive pictures posted on the forum of flexing (the intentional ones, not the accidental ones) and often wondered.... "Why?"

In reading, I've learned enough that my truck couldn't do it unless I wanted to destroy a $4,000 camper top. I'm just curious what the benefits are of flexing.
flexing is stuffing one tire into the wheel well, and the opposite tire's suspension is stretched. it has no benefit's and is just for fun. the only time it helps you out is when your truck is lifted and your playing out in the woods, it will help you get over an obstacle.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-07-2009
Old97's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 13
OK, thank you very much.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-07-2009
93rangerXLT4x4's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Salmon Arm BC
Posts: 959
no prob.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-08-2009
FMD's Avatar
FMD FMD is offline
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Amherst NY
Posts: 3,811
flexing your truck is actually very bad for it... contrary to what most will say around here. Your ranger is only designed to 'flex' so much and its only designed to do it so often. Doing it on purpose will lead to a 'looser' frame over all. You can also break stuff.

Now, those around here, who have actually built their trucks, Like Zabeard, their a bit 'safer' when it comes to flexing as their suspension is more isolated from the truck itself. Where as for us stockers, and those of us with basically stock suspensions - 99% of us, our suspensions are intertwined with the actual truck.

Its like, if I tried to purposely flex my 95 E350, i would probably do hundreds if not thousands of dollars damage to it.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-08-2009
99offroadrngr's Avatar
TOYOTA
iTrader: (37)
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 11,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMD View Post
flexing your truck is actually very bad for it... contrary to what most will say around here. Your ranger is only designed to 'flex' so much and its only designed to do it so often. Doing it on purpose will lead to a 'looser' frame over all. You can also break stuff.

Now, those around here, who have actually built their trucks, Like Zabeard, their a bit 'safer' when it comes to flexing as their suspension is more isolated from the truck itself. Where as for us stockers, and those of us with basically stock suspensions - 99% of us, our suspensions are intertwined with the actual truck.

Its like, if I tried to purposely flex my 95 E350, i would probably do hundreds if not thousands of dollars damage to it.
you and your stock truck need to GTFO
my 89 caravan flexes better than your E350 btw.
Shall i wear a helmet and sit in a child's car seat when i drive as well?

Last edited by 99offroadrngr; 11-08-2009 at 07:57 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-08-2009
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
flexing a truck no matter what its condition is usually will not hurt it. its just a suspension and its what it does when you go over bumps etc.

either way i really doubt it will hurt any truck unless you modified something in your suspension that you shouldnt have or your truck is rusted and something fails.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-08-2009
TheStig88's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Columbia, Missouri
Posts: 2,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by zabeard View Post
either way i really doubt it will hurt any truck unless you modified something in your suspension that you shouldnt have or your truck is rusted and something fails.
right from the mans mouth

DOWNEY!!! no more flexing for you
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-08-2009
04blackedge's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 23,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStig88 View Post
right from the mans mouth

DOWNEY!!! no more flexing for you
HAHA!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-08-2009
hozII's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: athens, Al
Posts: 2,245
the only thing and its not really a bad thing i have seen from flexing is twisting your rear leaf springs.i did that to my work truck which is 99 f150 2wd, all it does is where your leaf pack is not all in a line like there supposed to be but a good $1 hammer can put them back where they go if it bothers someone that much.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-08-2009
edgeman4.0's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: All Over
Posts: 1,475
FMD = FML
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-08-2009
DisturbedESV's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 3,115
Hahahaha
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-08-2009
rangerboy101's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Winchester, Va
Posts: 8,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgeman4.0 View Post
FMD = FML
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-08-2009
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by hozII View Post
the only thing and its not really a bad thing i have seen from flexing is twisting your rear leaf springs.i did that to my work truck which is 99 f150 2wd, all it does is where your leaf pack is not all in a line like there supposed to be but a good $1 hammer can put them back where they go if it bothers someone that much.
Even if you have that happen it is because of something else, when i had leaf springs I never had this issue.

Normally that is a case of loose center pin, or something else.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-08-2009
FMD's Avatar
FMD FMD is offline
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Amherst NY
Posts: 3,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by zabeard View Post
flexing a truck no matter what its condition is usually will not hurt it. its just a suspension and its what it does when you go over bumps etc.
I have yet to see a 'bump' that makes one side of the bed drop inches due to flexing under 'normal' conditions.


either way i really doubt it will hurt any truck unless you modified something in your suspension that you shouldnt have or your truck is rusted and something fails.
i highlighted the important parts.

that being said, those of you who felt the need to jump all over me, no vehicle, well no factory ranger is designed to have its frame constantly twisted.

Next time your over at your local ford dealer with your new truck, ask your service rep if they will warranty your truck if you 'flex it' and something breaks.

Chances are, they wont. its called 'abuse'

Now the chances of you actually breaking something, are pretty small. But to say that flexing a vehicle is good for it is retarded.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11-08-2009
Toms994x4's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sanford, NC
Posts: 1,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMD View Post
i highlighted the important parts.

that being said, those of you who felt the need to jump all over me, no vehicle, well no factory ranger is designed to have its frame constantly twisted.

Next time your over at your local ford dealer with your new truck, ask your service rep if they will warranty your truck if you 'flex it' and something breaks.

Chances are, they wont. its called 'abuse'

Now the chances of you actually breaking something, are pretty small. But to say that flexing a vehicle is good for it is retarded.
Really FMD, really? Flexing is not going to hurt your truck. Take a look at where your factory bump stops are. Most people do not flex their trucks to the point that they even touch those. You should put your video camera under your truck and take a ride down the road and see how many times your suspension cycles. You'd be surprised.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 11-08-2009
wellcom2knoxvile's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Corvallis, OR/Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,390
FMD!! dude.. i dont even know what to say?? why dont you just go weld your control arms into place and weld you shocks in plalce or get a bike without suspension cause you dont want to flex it!

any suspension travel is considered flex! or if you carry a load in your bed your supsnesion will "flex" same principle as flexing except your tires go in opposite directions of eachother.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11-09-2009
99offroadrngr's Avatar
TOYOTA
iTrader: (37)
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 11,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMD View Post
i highlighted the important parts.

that being said, those of you who felt the need to jump all over me, no vehicle, well no factory ranger is designed to have its frame constantly twisted.

Next time your over at your local ford dealer with your new truck, ask your service rep if they will warranty your truck if you 'flex it' and something breaks.

Chances are, they wont. its called 'abuse'

Now the chances of you actually breaking something, are pretty small. But to say that flexing a vehicle is good for it is retarded.
like i said before, gtfo.
my truck only has a body lift so its basically stock and its also 10 years old and NOTHING has happened to my frame even when ive had a tire several inches off of the ground.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 11-09-2009
morris's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: South Detroit.
Posts: 7,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old97 View Post
I've been hunting on Google and on the forum for a definition of this, but can't seem to find it.

What is flexing and what does it do for your truck?

I've seen some impressive pictures posted on the forum of flexing (the intentional ones, not the accidental ones) and often wondered.... "Why?"

In reading, I've learned enough that my truck couldn't do it unless I wanted to destroy a $4,000 camper top. I'm just curious what the benefits are of flexing.
LOOK a girl!!!!!!

j/k.
with your truck being stock 2wd, i wouldn't worry about flex. i've flexed mine on piles of snow when parked at the snow hills or minor off roading.

i think if you leave your truck on the forklift for like 8 hours a day, for 5 years (sarcastic numbers) there would be frame damage, among other damage like carcked windshieds and stress creases in the cab. most of us don't even go off road that much compared to a rig that is built for flexing like a rock crawler or beard's.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 11-09-2009
99offroadrngr's Avatar
TOYOTA
iTrader: (37)
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 11,728
look my frame fell out from under my truck from flexing... NOT
Name:  IMG_0725.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  90.2 KB
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 11-09-2009
DisturbedESV's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 3,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by morris View Post
LOOK a girl!!!!!!
Hey!! I'm offended!! JK
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Extremely rough idle, and stalling... FMD General Ford Ranger Discussion 8 07-10-2012 03:35 PM
Coil overs in extremely cold weather cmc474 Suspension Tech 7 12-11-2009 12:40 PM
extremely rough ride ccernst Suspension Tech 0 09-10-2009 01:50 PM
2" Coil Spacers giving extremely small lift jamesxEDGE Suspension Tech 18 07-03-2007 05:44 AM
Climate control area feels extremely hot. Jester983 Interior Semi-Tech 7 06-18-2007 11:21 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:10 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.