Just a curious thaught... - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


General Ford Ranger Discussion General discussion of the Ford Ranger that does not fit in any other sub-forum.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 12-21-2010
Nckdula's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: West Jordan UT
Posts: 178
Just a curious thaught...

I'm just curious... how many people on here actually do the work them selves on there truck? instead of taking it in?
Like me i do all i can by myself, recently replaced the front shocks.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-21-2010
04_xlt_4.0_4x4's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: merced, ca
Posts: 1,154
i try to do all i can to! my shocks are due in the near future
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-21-2010
avery192011's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: .
Posts: 181
I do all my work myself. just the other day i changed the headlight fluid. and drained all the black liquid out of my engine. it hasn't ran all that great in the past couple days so i think im going to change the spark plug tomarow
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-21-2010
01_ranger_4x4's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Muskegon, Michigan
Posts: 3,585
i do all the work on my own vehicles. i dont trust the dealer or mechanics, plus im a cheap ***.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-21-2010
steveo1271's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: lexington,sc
Posts: 780
i try to do all the work myself because i don't feel like paying an arm leg for something,plus it gives me an excuse to drink beer haha
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-21-2010
Ace's Avatar
Ace Ace is offline
Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Central, Illinois
Posts: 3,448
Depends how cold it is outside lol
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-21-2010
kiltro's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 376
I always took my focus in and payed an arm and a leg for labor.
I'm trying to learn things now so I can work on my truck myself.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-21-2010
kenfx4's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Stoney creek, Ont
Posts: 369
Ive been brought up as a backyard mechanic by my dad, but when i bought this truck I got some warranty with it so i take it to them for anything that the warranty covers. But any mods or maintance is all done by me, its funny when I take the truck places and they tell me whats wrong or what needs replaced, then go check it myself and cant find anything wrong, so i get my dad to check and he cant find it either. Just trying to make money expecting that i know nothing
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-21-2010
Nckdula's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: West Jordan UT
Posts: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01_ranger_4x4 View Post
i do all the work on my own vehicles. i dont trust the dealer or mechanics, plus im a cheap ***.
I can relate to that.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-21-2010
Nckdula's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: West Jordan UT
Posts: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenfx4 View Post
Ive been brought up as a backyard mechanic by my dad, but when i bought this truck I got some warranty with it so i take it to them for anything that the warranty covers. But any mods or maintance is all done by me, its funny when I take the truck places and they tell me whats wrong or what needs replaced, then go check it myself and cant find anything wrong, so i get my dad to check and he cant find it either. Just trying to make money expecting that i know nothing
That's exactly how mechanics are.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-21-2010
KLC's Avatar
KLC KLC is offline
RF Veteran
iTrader: (29)
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 13,115
I do everything myself, except for window tint and balancing tires.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-21-2010
Nckdula's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: West Jordan UT
Posts: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiltro View Post
I always took my focus in and payed an arm and a leg for labor.
I'm trying to learn things now so I can work on my truck myself.
That's what I'm doing, the only upcoming work is my exhaust, which i don't have the proper tools, so all take it in for that.
But like the other day i replaced my in-line fuel pump and fuel filter, both were in very hellish places, especially for someone like me, but i did it and learned something new.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-21-2010
Nckdula's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: West Jordan UT
Posts: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace View Post
Depends how cold it is outside lol
Oh c-mon now... the other day it was pouring snow, i had my truck in my garage with a beer when i put in my fuel pump, it was cold as hell, but so what haha
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-21-2010
04yz250's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Corning,NY
Posts: 125
i do everything myself! if i took my truck to dealer id be working on it anyway cause i work there
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-21-2010
The SuperDookie Ranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 817
Quote:
Originally Posted by avery192011 View Post
I do all my work myself. just the other day i changed the headlight fluid. and drained all the black liquid out of my engine. it hasn't ran all that great in the past couple days so i think im going to change the spark plug tomarow
The black fluid is called oil, just saying
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-21-2010
Red_Ak_Ranger's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 17,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nckdula View Post
I'm just curious... how many people on here actually do the work them selves on there truck? instead of taking it in?
Like me i do all i can by myself, recently replaced the front shocks.
Lol @ replacing all the shocks as an example.


I do most of the **** myself, lift and what not. Get lotsa help from other forum members, I have a few guys phone numbers who know their **** well. otherwise, I don't screw with transmission/engine really. Nor gearing. Etc.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-21-2010
Lord Of War's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Thornton, Colorado
Posts: 4,599
I do all that I am skilled to do. I had my slave cylinder replaced so stuff like that I have it done.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-21-2010
jtfoxman's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: The Poconos
Posts: 891
I'm like most everyone else. I try to do everything that I am capable of or just wing it. Other then that I need a mechanic on certain issues.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-21-2010
StxDangerRanger's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Flat Rock, Mi
Posts: 6,313
i do everything. i don't think i've ever had anyone besides myself work on my truck. if i don't know, i have a teacher i'm still in contact with at UTI, and my dad is a mechanic of 40+ years.
i think the biggest project i ever did without having any knowledge before had was changing the gear in my rear end. it reads 3.73. but really its a 4.10.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-22-2010
Ace's Avatar
Ace Ace is offline
Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Central, Illinois
Posts: 3,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nckdula View Post
Oh c-mon now... the other day it was pouring snow, i had my truck in my garage with a beer when i put in my fuel pump, it was cold as hell, but so what haha
must be nice to have a garage.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 12-22-2010
03ranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Irwin, Pa
Posts: 519
yep a garage with a lift and all the tools i need love it.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 12-22-2010
vista4.0's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Beaver Falls, PA
Posts: 2,824
yup im a cheap ***.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 12-22-2010
Marchy's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 287
I wish i had a garage, i do everything i can on my truck (which up to this point has been everything except tires and oil changes). I get help from my buddy if its a two man job and we usually just work on my truck in either of our apartment complexes parking lots. Much to the chagrin of my rental manager who tells me i can't, and i tell her if i can't work on my truck then i can't drive to work to pay my rent. It shuts her up pretty quick.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 12-22-2010
Masteratarms93's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Goose Creek SC
Posts: 4,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace View Post
Depends how cold it is outside lol
Bingo
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 12-22-2010
05blackranger's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Mequon, WI
Posts: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Ak_Ranger View Post
Lol @ replacing all the shocks as an example.


I do most of the **** myself, lift and what not. Get lotsa help from other forum members, I have a few guys phone numbers who know their **** well. otherwise, I don't screw with transmission/engine really. Nor gearing. Etc.
x2 on the engine and transmission stuff. I usually bring it to the shop in those cases because I don't have the time to tear into it that deep with work and school and whatnot.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Just curious...I could never afford it... RazorEdge 8-Cylinder Tech 12 12-07-2013 09:51 PM
Just curious. made in USA? horsefly2 General Ford Ranger Discussion 7 03-10-2011 02:03 PM
Just Curious 2wd03xlt Wheels & Tires Semi-Tech 11 09-02-2010 10:39 PM
Just curious... b3kbruiser General Ford Ranger Discussion 10 11-28-2006 08:56 AM
"just curious" question... Strider0O0 Ranger-Forums Office 8 06-03-2005 12:35 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:15 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.