Looking For Honest Answers... - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


General Ford Ranger Discussion General discussion of the Ford Ranger that does not fit in any other sub-forum.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 12-28-2011
TNRanger23's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 215
Looking For Honest Answers...

Hey guys,

I've been a member for a pretty good amount of time and haven't really posted much. Mainly, I suppose because I'm not too "fix-it" savy and don't have a ton of money to put into my truck.

Even though this is a Ranger forum and has mostly Ford enthusiast, What should I do ?

I have a 2.3L Single Cab Ranger that's just way too small for me (even though I love my truck) I'm getting a decent amount of cash early on next year and I'm looking to possibly sell or pay off the truck I have but I'm not sure if I'm going to keep it or buy an extended cab v6 Ranger or even go with a Colorado, Dakota, F-150, or Silverado.

My truck is getting close to the 140k mile mark and eventually I do want to put some money into a truck and get a lift, tires, ect, ect but is it worth it to keep the same Ranger I have and do mods to or would it be more worth my time to get something with less miles and a more powerful motor ?

Interestingly enough, I find that all the trucks mentioned above are running about the same price here in Houston. It's odd that I can I buy a v8 Silverado for the same price as a 4 cyd Ranger and vice-versa.

If you guys were in the same spot as me, What would you do ?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-28-2011
morris's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: South Detroit.
Posts: 7,833
The full size mod is what people do when they want more out of these trucks. Myself, I'd look at a couple ext cabs and see if they tickle your fancy. If you need more room look at full sizes.

When I bought mine I was looking at it, a fusion and even debating on a reg cab f150. The 150 would have been an extra 2-3k. So I went with what is in my sig.

Good luck and I hope that helps you.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-28-2011
<TX>TORKiT's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 1,551
The money you put into modifing your truck, you most likely will not get back out of it. I like extended cab smaller trucks more than a fullsize. I daily a extended cab Tacoma. The extra room is really nice campared to a single cab. My opinion for you is sell your truck and upgrade to a extended cab V6 Ford Ranger with the decent amount of cash coming soon. Unless you have kids? If you have kids you may consider a quadcab or fullsize pickup.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-28-2011
TNRanger23's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 215
Thanks for the advice, My wife has a Jeep Cherokee with the 4.7 v8 Dodge engine in it and the gas is un-godly. That's one reason why I'm leaning towards just upgrading to the v6 Ranger. There are alot of people trying to get rid of their Super Duty's and the Ram/Silverado 2500's for fairly cheap with low miles but I don't need that kind of gas mileage.

How dependable is the v6 motor in the 5th gen. Rangers ? The 2.3L has given me no problems except for sensors.

Also, I have one son, 10 years old but I'm sure he could fit in the fold-down seats..
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-28-2011
PSIJOE's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 1,311
I probably will throw my 2 cents in here later when I have some extra time. One thing I will say is that the sohc 4.0L does not get the best mpg either...Your looking at around 16mpg give or take.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-28-2011
98liftedranger's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: California
Posts: 12,538
Your best bet is to compare all the vehicles that you are thinking. Find two or three that are in your area in your price range, compare all the specs and your needs, test drive all of them and then read the good, bad and ugly of them on the respective forums.

If you don't need a fullsize then don't get one. You pay a lot more for everything with every step bigger you go on a vehicle.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-28-2011
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Round Rock
Posts: 484
I have an extended cab with the four doors and I love it! It is true, the 4.0 does not get the best mpg but mine has close to 168,000 miles on her which I put the last 28,000 on her. So far all I have done to her is the fuel pump, battery, passenger side airbag light, better stereo head unit and speakers and such.

I am 6' 2" so that is why I got the extended cab and the extra doors do make it very convenient.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-28-2011
TNRanger23's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 215
I appreciate the replies guys, As far as MPG goes I can live with 16-20 but some of those SD's I've looked at get like 8-10 LoL..

meistreguy, Have you ridden anyone in the back ? What's the biggest person that you could see riding in the back ? I can remember riding in the back as a kid in my moms 96 xlt when she bought it and felt squished. That was the last time I've been in the back of a Ranger.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-28-2011
TNRanger23's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 215
Do you guys see the Ranger being discontinued having any future problems with getting parts or accessories ? I mean, obviously this truck has been around since the early 80's with little changes but do you think there will be an endless supply of parts and stuff ?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-28-2011
j99ranger4x4's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Delaware, OH
Posts: 1,381
fyi i just bought an 08 super duty and im getting around 11-12 mpg so if u can stay with a ranger do so.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-28-2011
morris's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: South Detroit.
Posts: 7,833
Parts should be plentiful since it was a fleet truck.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-28-2011
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Round Rock
Posts: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRanger23 View Post
I appreciate the replies guys, As far as MPG goes I can live with 16-20 but some of those SD's I've looked at get like 8-10 LoL..

meistreguy, Have you ridden anyone in the back ? What's the biggest person that you could see riding in the back ? I can remember riding in the back as a kid in my moms 96 xlt when she bought it and felt squished. That was the last time I've been in the back of a Ranger.
No, I haven't ridden anyone in the back. My wife and I don't have children and will not have any so that is not a concern for us. If it will end up being more than the two of us, we will just take her car. In fact, I removed the two rear seats and put up a shelf system on the back wall to store the stuff that all of us accumulate over time. lol
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-28-2011
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: st louis, missouri
Posts: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRanger23 View Post
Hey guys,

I've been a member for a pretty good amount of time and haven't really posted much. Mainly, I suppose because I'm not too "fix-it" savy and don't have a ton of money to put into my truck.

Even though this is a Ranger forum and has mostly Ford enthusiast, What should I do ?

I have a 2.3L Single Cab Ranger that's just way too small for me (even though I love my truck) I'm getting a decent amount of cash early on next year and I'm looking to possibly sell or pay off the truck I have but I'm not sure if I'm going to keep it or buy an extended cab v6 Ranger or even go with a Colorado, Dakota, F-150, or Silverado.

My truck is getting close to the 140k mile mark and eventually I do want to put some money into a truck and get a lift, tires, ect, ect but is it worth it to keep the same Ranger I have and do mods to or would it be more worth my time to get something with less miles and a more powerful motor ?

Interestingly enough, I find that all the trucks mentioned above are running about the same price here in Houston. It's odd that I can I buy a v8 Silverado for the same price as a 4 cyd Ranger and vice-versa.

If you guys were in the same spot as me, What would you do ?
I'm actually in the exact same spot. I've got a 98 Single Cab, ridiculously small cab with no power in the engine. It's paid off with 108k mi and a couple grand put into it.

What I've decided to do, this spring/late winter I'm test driving an EcoBoost 150, a small V8 Silverado, an Escape AWD, a nice Malibu, Cruize, Forester AWD or Fusion. My truck is on liability/minimal insurance and I pay like $45 a month for it so it's worth it to me to keep my truck and get a new one. If you like your Ranger and want something to play around with on the weekends or when the weathers bad and you dont feel like getting your nice car dirty, your Ranger is always there.

That's my thinking of the situation but I'm not you
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-28-2011
Jason8n's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Roxboro, North Carolina
Posts: 708
Wirelessly posted (Droid2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by &lt;TX&gt;TORKiT
The money you put into modifing your truck, you most likely will not get back out of it. I like extended cab smaller trucks more than a fullsize. I daily a extended cab Tacoma. The extra room is really nice campared to a single cab. My opinion for you is sell your truck and upgrade to a extended cab V6 Ford Ranger with the decent amount of cash coming soon. Unless you have kids? If you have kids you may consider a quadcab or fullsize pickup.
I agree with Tex here, an extended cab is the way to go. My first 2 Rangers were reg cabs and my 06 is the 4 door. Soooo much more room! Regular cabs make great mini-trucks. Also if its almost paid for makes a huge difference, not like your going to get much on a trade in. Keep it and you would have something to drive in bad weather.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-28-2011
KLC's Avatar
KLC KLC is offline
RF Veteran
iTrader: (29)
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 13,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98liftedranger View Post
Your best bet is to compare all the vehicles that you are thinking. Find two or three that are in your area in your price range, compare all the specs and your needs, test drive all of them and then read the good, bad and ugly of them on the respective forums.

If you don't need a fullsize then don't get one. You pay a lot more for everything with every step bigger you go on a vehicle.
I agree.

Is there anything wrong with your Ranger now? Any reason why you can't put a little in it to keep you happy? I don't know what your financial situation is but a few mods cost much less than a vehicle.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-28-2011
TNRanger23's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLC View Post
I agree.

Is there anything wrong with your Ranger now? Any reason why you can't put a little in it to keep you happy? I don't know what your financial situation is but a few mods cost much less than a vehicle.
I bought this Ranger brand new with 3 miles on it in 2004. I lost my job in 2009 and FMC agreed to do a contract re-write. I still owe $3,700 on this truck (The whole ordeal with FMC is the reason I'll never finances another vehicle.) I have a guy that's willing to buy it (pay it off) for $4,000.

After 7 1/2 years of owning this truck, I'm just looking for something new that's got more room and more power. While it's not exactly responsible, I'm taking my tax return and the $300-400 extra from selling my truck to buy something else.

Or, I may just decide to pay the damn thing off and keep it for awhile longer.

There's nothing wrong with it at all except from time to time the fuel pump inertia switch cuts off my fuel pump. It's kinda funny... It would shut my truck down at the carwash and anytime a stiff wind would blow. Then for like 2 years It wouldn't do anything and just 2 months ago it cut off like 5 times in 3 days. Since then, Nothing.

Last edited by TNRanger23; 12-28-2011 at 04:11 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-28-2011
TNRanger23's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLRanger View Post
I'm actually in the exact same spot. I've got a 98 Single Cab, ridiculously small cab with no power in the engine. It's paid off with 108k mi and a couple grand put into it.
You're lucky to have yours paid off.. I'm like the biggest sucker in the world. I walked into Ford at 21 years old with a crappy job and no credit and wanted to apply to finance a used $8k Mustang. They denied me for THAT Mustang but approved me for a NEW Mustang. Well, When it came time to sign the paper and I called an insurance company and they quoted me $490 a month I ended up buying a Ranger. At 21 and really stupid, putting $1,000 down and listening the sales people and putting the "$2,000 cash back" down as well, I ended up screwing myself. I've added it up and to this day I've paid over $29,000 for this truck and It's the most basic thing I've ever driven. It doesn't even have tilt wheel.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-28-2011
Jason8n's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Roxboro, North Carolina
Posts: 708
Wirelessly posted (Droid2)

Its a shame to have to pay so much for a vehicle. I got backed into a corner when I was 19. Wanted a 94 used Mustang GT, but couldn't get financed, so they got me into a new 96 Mustang. I never should have signed the papers, but I did. My first new car payment was more than my parents first new house!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-28-2011
TNRanger23's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason8n View Post
Wirelessly posted (Droid2)

Its a shame to have to pay so much for a vehicle. I got backed into a corner when I was 19. Wanted a 94 used Mustang GT, but couldn't get financed, so they got me into a new 96 Mustang. I never should have signed the papers, but I did. My first new car payment was more than my parents first new house!
Yeah, They told me to test drive and fall in love with the car, then before telling me what my payments would be, they made me call for insurance..

After getting quoted $490 for insurance they dropped the hammer that my payments on the Mustang would be $567 a month..

I'm like... I can't afford $1000+ a month for a car ! and they got all bent out of shape and long story short, to fit a car into what I could afford monthly, I ended up with a Ranger. I wish I had tried to get an extended cab or a single cab F-150 or SOMETHING but I made a dumb mistake and well, Lesson learned. LoL.

How much did they stick you for payment wise ?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-28-2011
Jason8n's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Roxboro, North Carolina
Posts: 708
Wirelessly posted (Droid2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRanger23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason8n View Post
Wirelessly posted (Droid2)

Its a shame to have to pay so much for a vehicle. I got backed into a corner when I was 19. Wanted a 94 used Mustang GT, but couldn't get financed, so they got me into a new 96 Mustang. I never should have signed the papers, but I did. My first new car payment was more than my parents first new house!
Yeah, They told me to test drive and fall in love with the car, then before telling me what my payments would be, they made me call for insurance..

After getting quoted $490 for insurance they dropped the hammer that my payments on the Mustang would be $567 a month..

I'm like... I can't afford $1000+ a month for a car ! and they got all bent out of shape and long story short, to fit a car into what I could afford monthly, I ended up with a Ranger. I wish I had tried to get an extended cab or a single cab F-150 or SOMETHING but I made a dumb mistake and well, Lesson learned. LoL.

How much did they stick you for payment wise ?
$410, back in 96. Insurance was high, but I had turned 19 with no tickets, so maybe that helped.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 12-28-2011
TNRanger23's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason8n View Post
Wirelessly posted (Droid2)Insurance was high, but I had turned 19 with no tickets, so maybe that helped.
If you lived in a rural area that may have helped too, I lived near downtown Nashville.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 12-28-2011
KLC's Avatar
KLC KLC is offline
RF Veteran
iTrader: (29)
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 13,115
I woudn't advertise you plan to use financial aid money to buy a vehicle. They will pull your aid if they find out. That's not what they give you the money for.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 12-28-2011
TNRanger23's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 215
It was my counselors idea, She said it was for living expenses and that "transportation" was a part of that.. but you're prob. right.. I'll edit that.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 12-28-2011
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: st louis, missouri
Posts: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRanger23 View Post
You're lucky to have yours paid off.. I'm like the biggest sucker in the world. I walked into Ford at 21 years old with a crappy job and no credit and wanted to apply to finance a used $8k Mustang. They denied me for THAT Mustang but approved me for a NEW Mustang. Well, When it came time to sign the paper and I called an insurance company and they quoted me $490 a month I ended up buying a Ranger. At 21 and really stupid, putting $1,000 down and listening the sales people and putting the "$2,000 cash back" down as well, I ended up screwing myself. I've added it up and to this day I've paid over $29,000 for this truck and It's the most basic thing I've ever driven. It doesn't even have tilt wheel.
Sounds about right, they don't care who/how/when you pay for it, if you've got a good cosigner or another means of them to get their $ they'll let you sign the dotted line. my buddy just financed a $24,000 Hyndaui Genesis 2 door, he pays like $380 a month plus $150 for insurance.

Cannot wait to be 25 and have my insurance go down so I can buy a 2 door.

And yeah that cash back always screws you, go with the 0% APR for sure.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-04-2012
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cambridge, Ontario
Posts: 20
Im on my second 4.0L Ranger. I just purchased a new 2011. The 4.0L is bulletproof. The rear seats are almost useless unless your 10 years old and are a pain to get into once the truck is lifted. The gas mileage on these trucks suck also. I get the same mileage in my 2011 4.0L as I did in my 2000 Dodge Ram 5.2L and I have a light foot.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
new guy from alabama looking for some answers. sportsmint Member Introductions 5 01-07-2014 06:13 PM
Looking for answers on 86 Ranger kevin5558 Drivetrain Tech 0 06-28-2010 05:51 PM
Looking for honest opinons... 98rang General Ford Ranger Discussion 3 01-05-2008 10:03 AM
be honest with us! Machine090767 General Ford Ranger Discussion 149 12-10-2007 07:36 PM
4 cylinder 98 Ranger, honest gas milage opinion please. Fryguy302 SOHC - 2.3L & 2.5L Lima Engines 18 02-07-2007 02:47 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:58 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.