Need MPG Help!!! - Page 2 - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


General Ford Ranger Discussion General discussion of the Ford Ranger that does not fit in any other sub-forum.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #26  
Old 02-12-2007
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Haverhill, MA
Posts: 1,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by graygooseranger
Holy mother, it is like 10 degrees here and I am still getting about 280 to a tank, I am pushing 350-360 in the summer.....
lol thats why i'm posting this but so far the only thin i got really is to change out my o2 secnors. but then i was told i dont have to. so ther must be something i am missing here??
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-12-2007
l2en's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: The Keystone State
Posts: 4,521
Ranger's don't like Bosch plugs. Stick with the motorcraft plugs. Took me two sets to learn my lesson. The motorcrafts are platinum as well. I just bought a set @ $6.xx/peice from the local stealership.

Oh yeah the mpg thing ....My theory is if you don't drive it then it won't suck up so much fuel =]
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-12-2007
greygooseranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 3,293
I think its worth a try to change your o2 sensors. I have a 92 bonneville as a beater and it went from 14mpg to 20, so for me it worked......
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-12-2007
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Haverhill, MA
Posts: 1,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by l2en
Ranger's don't like Bosch plugs. Stick with the motorcraft plugs. Took me two sets to learn my lesson. The motorcrafts are platinum as well. I just bought a set @ $6.xx/peice from the local stealership.

Oh yeah the mpg thing ....My theory is if you don't drive it then it won't suck up so much fuel =]

that is a good theory lol but i have to drive so it dosent work for me

i got the autolite platnim 2 ones ppl told me they were almost the same as motocraft
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02-12-2007
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Haverhill, MA
Posts: 1,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by graygooseranger
I think its worth a try to change your o2 sensors. I have a 92 bonneville as a beater and it went from 14mpg to 20, so for me it worked......
well it cant hurt right.


just hurts the rear pocket
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 02-12-2007
l2en's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: The Keystone State
Posts: 4,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterGuy
well it cant hurt right.


just hurts the rear pocket
Short term, if it helps the mpg situation then it's a good investment long term.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 02-12-2007
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Haverhill, MA
Posts: 1,907
i just talked to a guy and he told me that he think s that my injectors are cloged and the throttle boday my Iac have ot be cleaned and all this crap!!

whats involved with cleaning the injectors?? and does this sound like it could be true??
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 02-12-2007
greygooseranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 3,293
They make fuel injector cleaner that you can add to your gas tank. I have always used seafoam in the tank and it seems to help every vehicle I have used it in. Or a shop can use a flushing system, I did notice a marked improvment in idle and fuel economy on my blazer with this. I would try the seafoam in the tank and in your intake, i bet that would make a difference as well....
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 02-12-2007
PotterFX4's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Parma, OH
Posts: 296
I had my injectors cleaned this summer when I failed emissions...also changed spark plugs. I just changed the air filter & oil two weeks ago.

Right now I am getting 10 mpg with about 190 miles per tank. That is all city driving, I get 17 highway. I am in the same boat at you and I only let my truck warm up for about 1-2 min in the morning.

Dont the gas companies change the winter fuel mix slightly due to emissions?
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 02-12-2007
greygooseranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 3,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by PotterFX4
I had my injectors cleaned this summer when I failed emissions...also changed spark plugs. I just changed the air filter & oil two weeks ago.

Right now I am getting 10 mpg with about 190 miles per tank. That is all city driving, I get 17 highway. I am in the same boat at you and I only let my truck warm up for about 1-2 min in the morning.

Dont the gas companies change the winter fuel mix slightly due to emissions?
They do change there fuel mixture which will result in SOME loss of fuel economy, the cold also makes your engine run richer, so that will make it a little worse as well. However, I don't see how I am getting another hundred miles to a tank and my driving is 90% city, that's just crazy!
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 02-12-2007
PotterFX4's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Parma, OH
Posts: 296
I dunno, doesnt make too much sense to me. This is just giving me an excuse to start looking for a DD...
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 02-12-2007
shadyluke's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: West Grove, PA
Posts: 2,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by graygooseranger
They do change there fuel mixture which will result in SOME loss of fuel economy, the cold also makes your engine run richer, so that will make it a little worse as well. However, I don't see how I am getting another hundred miles to a tank and my driving is 90% city, that's just crazy!
you also have a much newer motor. The SOHC performs a lot better than the OHV motor. I am in the same boat as monster but I have a BL and 33s. I wish I knew what to tell ya bud. I have used the Lucas brand injector cleaner but I found that it can gel and most likely works best when it is warm out. Like I left a bottle in the truck overnight and you could barely pour it out.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 02-12-2007
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Haverhill, MA
Posts: 1,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyluke
you also have a much newer motor. The SOHC performs a lot better than the OHV motor. I am in the same boat as monster but I have a BL and 33s. I wish I knew what to tell ya bud. I have used the Lucas brand injector cleaner but I found that it can gel and most likely works best when it is warm out. Like I left a bottle in the truck overnight and you could barely pour it out.
o great lol i have it sitting in my tank now lol.

i just seafoamed my whole truck at the end of fall so it hasent been very long. i'm going to do the o2 sensors there only 42$ with my discount each. and when it gets warm out i'm going to change all my fluid to synthetic in diffs so ill be trying stuff out.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 02-13-2007
BigDen's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Westminster, MD
Posts: 10
Could your right foot be causing bad mpg? We have a Jeep Liberty, 3.7 litre engine. When I drive it it gets about 22 mpg. When my wife drives it...18 mpg!! Something has got to be wrong with that engine or tranny. If you have a mechanic you trust I would ask him about it. For injector cleaner try Redline S1L. Put a whole bottle in with a full tank. If one treatment doesn't work, try another. I think you wrote that you're using synthetic, that would be my other suggestion. And tire pressure. If it is cold there the tire pressure will come down.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 02-13-2007
BRENSRANGER's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,308
im getting 9 mpg.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 02-13-2007
shadyluke's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: West Grove, PA
Posts: 2,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterGuy
o great lol i have it sitting in my tank now lol.

i just seafoamed my whole truck at the end of fall so it hasent been very long. i'm going to do the o2 sensors there only 42$ with my discount each. and when it gets warm out i'm going to change all my fluid to synthetic in diffs so ill be trying stuff out.
So do I. It was all thick and I poured it in anyway. I am banking that the gas will diloute it enough that it thinks back out
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 02-13-2007
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: memphis, TN
Posts: 13
I am getting really bad gas mileage as well. I originally thought I was getting better mileage than I am, but it turns out I am getting between 205-215 miles a tank. My truck is 2007 level II with only 1,300 miles. I don't know what is going on. Level II's have a 17.5 gallon tank. That means I am getting between 11 and 12 MPG on average. I only got 190 miles on one tank so the average is actually a little lower. I don't have a heavy foot at all. If anything I am babying the truck 'cause it is new. None of the suggestions on this page pertain to my truck. They all make sense and ya'll know what you are talking about, but I just think the sticker was a lie(it says 15-19). It is not cold where I live either and I have gotten that ****ty mileage mostly on the highway from hunting season.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 02-13-2007
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Haverhill, MA
Posts: 1,907
lol well atleast i'm not the only one with a gas sucking mid size truck haha. next truck is really a f150 or 250 so the size can compensate with the mpg lol.

but i just filled back up again and i got 13.8 after getting 9 with last tank. i put supream 92oct with lucas. i have tried the redline before but only went by the 10gal lines on teh sides ill just try the whole bottle.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 02-13-2007
FMD's Avatar
FMD FMD is offline
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Amherst NY
Posts: 3,811
id like to know how some of us are getting 280miles on a tank in the winter, and pushing 400 miles in the summer. with the same set up as mine only mine is an automatic. my best was 340 on a tank and that was a road trip... i generally get 260miles on a tank. tho i have no clue what im getting now... but its still asting me about a week beforei gotta get gas.

oh i almost forgot... my neighbor bought a brand new 4 cylinder colorado single cab... 2wd, and was whining he was only getting like 8mpg in december, he bought it in sept06. turns out, some kids were siphoning gas out of the tank.... this MIGHT be your problem.

to test this, take a lil piece of paper, i mean SMALL like less that a cm. and place it on the top of the gas cap, so if it the gas cap moves, the paper falls off, make it small enuff no one will see it, then check it every morning and see if the paper has moved.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 02-14-2007
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Haverhill, MA
Posts: 1,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMD
id like to know how some of us are getting 280miles on a tank in the winter, and pushing 400 miles in the summer. with the same set up as mine only mine is an automatic. my best was 340 on a tank and that was a road trip... i generally get 260miles on a tank. tho i have no clue what im getting now... but its still asting me about a week beforei gotta get gas.

oh i almost forgot... my neighbor bought a brand new 4 cylinder colorado single cab... 2wd, and was whining he was only getting like 8mpg in december, he bought it in sept06. turns out, some kids were siphoning gas out of the tank.... this MIGHT be your problem.

to test this, take a lil piece of paper, i mean SMALL like less that a cm. and place it on the top of the gas cap, so if it the gas cap moves, the paper falls off, make it small enuff no one will see it, then check it every morning and see if the paper has moved.
i know its not thats prob cause i can watch it go down when i'm driving lol its pretty fast to. in the summer on a very good day ill get 240 tops.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 02-14-2007
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shelbyville, Kentucky
Posts: 1,101
well i'm in the same boat as you guys!

i feel damn luck if i get 200 a tank...

i've got an 02 xlt 4x4 4.0 with an x-cal 2, and a borla SI/SO

i think after listening to the suggestions on here, i'm gonna :

Seafoam (never been done to my truck)
Air Filter
Fuel Filter
Cut back on warmups


if these don't work out then i'm gonna change the upper o2 sensors and get some injector cleaner...

i think we all need to keep this thread updated!!! for everyones benefit
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 02-14-2007
V8 Level II's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMD
id like to know how some of us are getting 280miles on a tank in the winter, and pushing 400 miles in the summer. with the same set up as mine only mine is an automatic. my best was 340 on a tank and that was a road trip... i generally get 260miles on a tank. tho i have no clue what im getting now... but its still asting me about a week beforei gotta get gas.
Learn how to compute your actual miles per gallon correctly.

You can't tell anything from a statement like "xxx miles per tank".

Gas gauges differ.
Fuel tank sizes differ.
Low fuel lights differ.
Auto shut-off gas pump nozzles differ.

Not many drivers make a habit of running the tank dry. At what point are they filling up?

When the gas gauge needle approaches "E"?
When the gas gauge needle points to "E"?
When the fuel light flickers?
When it comes on solid?
30 miles later??

Don't rely too heavily on what others tell you:

Driving habits differ.
Driving conditions differ.
Some people incorrectly judge overall fuel economy from a single fill up or from a long trip.
Many people "exaggerate" fuel economy up or down.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Consider which engine/transmission combo you have, how much time you idle and how much extra weight your truck carries. All of these impact your FE numbers.

The engine gets greater A/F enrichment for a longer time in cold weather than when the temperature is warmer. Lubricants are thicker when cold. Winter engine warmups get zero miles per gallon.

The energy content of gasolines can differ from brand to brand and from winter to summer. Fuel that contains ethanol will deliver lower FE. Oxygenated winter fuel delivers lower FE.

There are a few mods which may improve fuel economy but there are many more that lower it.

High RPM and rapid acceleration kills fuel economy. Avoid both and you can see a dramatic improvement.

Last edited by V8 Level II; 02-14-2007 at 06:27 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 02-14-2007
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Haverhill, MA
Posts: 1,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwenzing
Learn how to compute your actual miles per gallon correctly.

You can't tell anything from a statement like "xxx miles per tank".

Gas gauges differ.
Fuel tank sizes differ.
Low fuel lights differ.
Auto shut-off gas pump nozzles differ.

Not many drivers make a habit of running the tank dry. At what point are they filling up?

When the gas gauge needle approaches "E"?
When the gas gauge needle points to "E"?
When the fuel light flickers?
When it comes on solid?
30 miles later??

Don't rely too heavily on what others tell you:

Driving habits differ.
Driving conditions differ.
Some people incorrectly judge overall fuel economy from a single fill up or from a long trip.
Many people "exaggerate" fuel economy up or down.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Consider which engine/transmission combo you have, how much time you idle and how much extra weight your truck carries. All of these impact your FE numbers.

The engine gets greater A/F enrichment for a longer time in cold weather than when the temperature is warmer. Lubricants are thicker when cold. Winter engine warmups get zero miles per gallon.

The energy content of gasolines can differ from brand to brand and from winter to summer. Fuel that contains ethanol will deliver lower FE. Oxygenated winter fuel delivers lower FE.

There are a few mods which may improve fuel economy but there are many more that lower it.

High RPM and rapid acceleration kills fuel economy. Avoid both and you can see a dramatic improvement.

the way i calculate my mialage i reset my trip, then when i'm filling up i add 5 miles for larger tires on a full fill and divide the total miles by the amount pumped out of the tank going 2 decmals over so like i went 145miles when i filled yesterday i added five so its 150 / 11.10gallons = 13.5mpg. i would think that would be right.

i used the lucas tune up in a bottle and supream 92<only thing they had 2 fillups ago to get the 13.5mpg and it brougnt it up like 3-4mpg using it and being extreamly light on the foot
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 02-14-2007
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shelbyville, Kentucky
Posts: 1,101
in my case, no matter how you look it, i've got ****ty milage...whether my math is incorrect or not!

19.5 gallon tank

on fill up to the absolute top of tank...(actually overflowed it) and i have a habit of letting it go till the pump shuts off...then i top it off by hand until the tank can take no more...

drive another 10 miles at least, once my light comes on...and i barely reach 200 miles!!!
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 02-14-2007
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Haverhill, MA
Posts: 1,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sad_Savant
in my case, no matter how you look it, i've got ****ty milage...whether my math is incorrect or not!

19.5 gallon tank

on fill up to the absolute top of tank...(actually overflowed it) and i have a habit of letting it go till the pump shuts off...then i top it off by hand until the tank can take no more...

drive another 10 miles at least, once my light comes on...and i barely reach 200 miles!!!
try the lucas gas additive and see if it helps u any we can see since it helped mine we can do like a test and i'm checking the mialage after that tank i ran now
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
14 MPG ?????? need new ideas skab75 2.9L & 3.0L V6 Tech 10 04-14-2011 04:45 PM
BIG PROBLEM: Im only getting 8 MPG. I need HELP!!!! spartan72 4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech 32 09-27-2009 11:41 AM
need better mpg dbking321 4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech 51 11-14-2007 11:29 AM
98 3.0 MPG Log (shows how mods affected MPG) Marcaronio 2.9L & 3.0L V6 Tech 23 05-11-2007 09:11 PM
MPG seem to be shrinking, need help Strider0O0 General Technical & Electrical 23 04-05-2005 03:19 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:04 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.