new chevy springs. - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


General Ford Ranger Discussion General discussion of the Ford Ranger that does not fit in any other sub-forum.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 05-21-2006
zabeard's Avatar
who?
Thread Starter
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
new chevy springs.

ive been searching online for a while now, but does anyone know where i can get some 88-98 chevy half ton springs. i prefer NEW springs, if ya know what i mean.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-21-2006
V8 Level II's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by zabeard
i prefer NEW springs, if ya know what i mean.
New springs will bend the way your used ones did if they are subjected to the same conditions. Springs flex and return to their original shape unless the elastic limit is exceeded. From that point on they either break or permanently deform.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-21-2006
n3elz's Avatar
RF Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Kennett Square, PA
Posts: 10,620
Bob, I think he's suspecting that maybe those springs were shot to begin with. Sometimes you never know if the springs are already crystallizing or whatever from sustained overloads the previous owner put on them.

I think new springs are probably a good idea -- but like most I'd probably start with used ones. I don't know if Zach just "won the lottery" and got a bad set, or if the conditions of the failure would have destroyed just about whatever he had on there.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-21-2006
zabeard's Avatar
who?
Thread Starter
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
idk bob, there were alot of guys up there that were shocked how it bent. and many people have looked at it and think the springs were too old or they were weak or may have been heated up at one point and time.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-21-2006
nated0g's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Millington, TN
Posts: 467
What about some 73-87 rear lift springs?

im sure you could find some that are "military" wrapped which means that its got 2 leafs that go to the hoop
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-21-2006
zabeard's Avatar
who?
Thread Starter
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
those springs are at different specifications.

plus it would not ride very well
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-21-2006
nated0g's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Millington, TN
Posts: 467
what length springs do you need/use?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-21-2006
V8 Level II's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by zabeard
idk bob, there were alot of guys up there that were shocked how it bent. and many people have looked at it and think the springs were too old or they were weak or may have been heated up at one point and time.
I saw a set of F250 springs kink like that in the front but in the opposite direction. The clown driving it spun the tires on ice and kept it spinning at redline until he caught some high traction dry pavement. The bend occurred at the weakest part of the spring, the single leaf just ahead of the second leaf, just like yours. Those springs were less than 6 months old and they bent permanently because their elastic limit was exceeded.

Take a coil spring from a ballpoint pen and compress or extend it slightly. When you release it, it will return to its original shape. This is analogous to what happens when a leaf spring is flexed within the design limits of normal suspension travel.

Take the same ballpoint spring and stretch it much farther. If you stretch it far enough to surpass the elastic limit, the spring will experience what is called "plastic deformation" and will not return to its original shape. This is same thing that happened to your leaf spring.

There's nothing wrong with buying new springs if you want to. But if you put them in the same situation - loading them in a way that is far outside of the original design intent - you can expect the new springs to fail in a similar way.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-21-2006
zabeard's Avatar
who?
Thread Starter
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by nated0g
what length springs do you need/use?

88-98 chevy half ton 2wd springs.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-21-2006
zabeard's Avatar
who?
Thread Starter
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwenzing
I saw a set of F250 springs kink like that in the front but in the opposite direction. The clown driving it spun the tires on ice and kept it spinning at redline until he caught some high traction dry pavement. The bend occurred at the weakest part of the spring, the single leaf just ahead of the second leaf, just like yours. Those springs were less than 6 months old and they bent permanently because their elastic limit was exceeded.

Take a coil spring from a ballpoint pen and compress or extend it slightly. When you release it, it will return to its original shape. This is analogous to what happens when a leaf spring is flexed within the design limits of normal suspension travel.

Take the same ballpoint spring and stretch it much farther. If you stretch it far enough to surpass the elastic limit, the spring will experience what is called "plastic deformation" and will not return to its original shape. This is same thing that happened to your leaf spring.

There's nothing wrong with buying new springs if you want to. But if you put them in the same situation - loading them in a way that is far outside of the original design intent - you can expect the new springs to fail in a similar way.

i understand what you are saying, but i just didnt think we applied that much force to it. but pulling on a truck with a strap can put alot of force i suppose.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-21-2006
V8 Level II's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by zabeard
i understand what you are saying, but i just didnt think we applied that much force to it. but pulling on a truck with a strap can put alot of force i suppose.
The single main leaf is just a piece of steel, maybe 3/8" thick. If I understand correctly, when Bill pulled on the front, it bent the tow-hook x-member. In the rear, it was the spring. Clearly, these were very stout pulls against a very stuck Ranger.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-21-2006
RockysFord's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 2,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwenzing
If I understand correctly, when Bill pulled on the front, it bent the tow-hook x-member. In the rear, it was the spring. Clearly, these were very stout pulls against a very stuck Ranger.

Good way to put it....

Im checking around, ill let you know if i find any thing..

Rocky
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-21-2006
Level III Supporter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: usa
Posts: 24,936
honistly i still think a set of new is better with old but i think its piontless unless you pair it up with a set of traction bars. this might have saved the whole problem to begin with being it wouldnt have let the axle to move that way..just trying to put the idear in your head
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-21-2006
pastfinder's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 1,252
Call me old fashioned, but I carry a shovel and some stout boards with me anything I get off paved surfaces. I don't have the truck, or nerve to try offroading in my Ranger, but I'm really motivated to get traction bars after seeing all of this, but also to get a hi-lift to add to my assorted tools I travel with.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-22-2006
zabeard's Avatar
who?
Thread Starter
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
i had several items that would have helped the situation in my toolbox. but the latch just happened to break.

it just wasnt my weekend. its overwith now no sense if what ifs. ive been doing it all weekend. lol

all in all i wish i would have just called the sand dune recovery rig to begin with.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-22-2006
pastfinder's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 1,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by zabeard
i had several items that would have helped the situation in my toolbox. but the latch just happened to break.

it just wasnt my weekend. its overwith now no sense if what ifs. ive been doing it all weekend. lol

all in all i wish i would have just called the sand dune recovery rig to begin with.

Interesting...the Fates were messing with you I think. Now you really need to unlock your Muse, so long as it doesn't drive you nuts playing strange music from a keyboard, haha.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-22-2006
zabeard's Avatar
who?
Thread Starter
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
i think it was just somehting i had comeing for quite a while. this is the first time ive broke something while wheeling. and in previous times ive screwed around just as much.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-22-2006
HAZZARDJOHN's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Wyoming MN
Posts: 2,400
Have you tried a chevy dealer? When I worked at Ford, leaf springs were actually not that expensive from the dealer. I would check there first. If not check into an aftermarket spring company, they will have a new set.

~HJ
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-22-2006
zabeard's Avatar
who?
Thread Starter
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
i tried a GM discount parts website. they wanted 375 or something. new ranger springs are only 94 bucks each.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-22-2006
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Acworth, GA
Posts: 2,099
Call up alcan spring. They made my custom front springs for 190$ a peice. I wanted regular lift springs for a ranger and they were alot less, so it's worth a shot.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 05-22-2006
zabeard's Avatar
who?
Thread Starter
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by 034x4
Call up alcan spring. They made my custom front springs for 190$ a peice. I wanted regular lift springs for a ranger and they were alot less, so it's worth a shot.

i called a few times it was busy so i filled out the request form.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 05-22-2006
nated0g's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Millington, TN
Posts: 467
what about deaver springs?
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05-22-2006
KARPE's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Valrico, Fl 33594
Posts: 4,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by nated0g
what about deaver springs?
$500 bucks and about 1-2 " of lift

too much for not enough
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-22-2006
zabeard's Avatar
who?
Thread Starter
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by nated0g
what about deaver springs?

its an idea but they are costly.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 05-22-2006
Level III Supporter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: usa
Posts: 24,936
yes and dont do your you cant tow with them because they can put a tow leaf in
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chevy Springs??? bryanjints Suspension Tech 12 02-23-2007 07:38 PM
chevy springs??? blackbetty Suspension Tech 8 11-29-2006 10:17 PM
CHevy springs... With a twist bigdavesohc Suspension Tech 14 10-10-2006 11:34 AM
Leaf Springs Chevy or Ford options. zabeard Suspension Tech 13 05-23-2006 09:39 PM
Suburban torture testing the Chevy springs and 4W discs V8 Level II Suspension Tech 34 04-30-2006 11:00 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:41 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.