New favorite mod! - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


General Ford Ranger Discussion General discussion of the Ford Ranger that does not fit in any other sub-forum.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 02-18-2009
04blackedge's Avatar
RF Veteran
Thread Starter
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 23,426
New favorite mod!

Auto headlights!!!!! My favorite mod yet, wiring isn't too bad just 2 relays and then wiring the mirror. Its pretty easy if you've already done the OHC. I'll take a video of it later. Highly recommend this mod, just for the cool factor. Link to how-to:


https://www.ranger-forums.com/forum2...ead.php?t=7112
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-18-2009
whippersnapper02's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 7,415
I have had my auto dim/auto headlight mirror sitting under my bed for about a year along with my OHC and power window and lock kit.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-18-2009
Tys 4x4 FTW's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Posts: 6,575
i hate auto headlights. idk why. just got bored of them on my grand prix i guess?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-18-2009
DillonT's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 352
can i do it on a stock 01? i just want the auto headlights. i dont have a console or anything.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-18-2009
RangerNDog's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (10)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Harrisonburg, VA
Posts: 1,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by DillonT View Post
can i do it on a stock 01? i just want the auto headlights. i dont have a console or anything.
You have to pick up the auto dimming rear view mirror out of an Explorer.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-18-2009
Mykhael's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: .
Posts: 4,197
I have been wanting to do this mod.

So is this like day time running lights with the auto headlights?

Auto dimming mirror would do me no good since I have 55 tint in the rear
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-18-2009
rolsmojave3's Avatar
Level III Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,852
Lights turn on when they see fit. I hate it on GM cars...can't turn the lights off at all in the night.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-18-2009
whippersnapper02's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 7,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL View Post
I have been wanting to do this mod.

So is this like day time running lights with the auto headlights?

Auto dimming mirror would do me no good since I have 55 tint in the rear
Why would the rear tint affect the sensor that looks out the front windshield?

The lights turn on to what you set them too. There is a slider switch in the mirror and you adjust for the light level you want them to turn on at. You can bypass the switch my turning it to the lowest setting(full left I think. some models have a separate on off switch). The lights don't come on at all during the day.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-18-2009
Mykhael's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: .
Posts: 4,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by fddriver02 View Post
Why would the rear tint affect the sensor that looks out the front windshield?

The lights turn on to what you set them too. There is a slider switch in the mirror and you adjust for the light level you want them to turn on at. You can bypass the switch my turning it to the lowest setting(full left I think. some models have a separate on off switch). The lights don't come on at all during the day.
Isn't the auto dimming mirror for jack holes behind you with bright lights on?

My moms 06 taurus had one and it would block out the lights behind you.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-18-2009
whippersnapper02's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 7,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL View Post
Isn't the auto dimming mirror for jack holes behind you with bright lights on?

My moms 06 taurus had one and it would block out the lights behind you.
HAHA!!! I was thinking auto headlight. You are right. The auto dim is for the a hole behind you with his brights on.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-18-2009
crazymikey's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: your mom
Posts: 4,008
I have auto headlights. It's called turning them on every time I get in my truck.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-18-2009
GrafixGuy's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Montgomery, AL
Posts: 8,703
bet this would be an act of congress on my truck, for now I go what crazymickey does... works so far :-D
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-18-2009
crazymikey's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: your mom
Posts: 4,008
I wish more people would realize the safety benefits of Being able to see and BE seen.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-18-2009
Mykhael's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: .
Posts: 4,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymikey View Post
I have auto headlights. It's called turning them on every time I get in my truck.
I do the same thing.

I always turn the lights on the same time I am turning the truck on.

Sometimes I do it and don't even realize I did it. Just a habit
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-18-2009
04blackedge's Avatar
RF Veteran
Thread Starter
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 23,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL View Post
I have been wanting to do this mod.

So is this like day time running lights with the auto headlights?

Auto dimming mirror would do me no good since I have 55 tint in the rear
Its only on when it gets dark, you can set it to delay for however much you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolsmojave3 View Post
Lights turn on when they see fit. I hate it on GM cars...can't turn the lights off at all in the night.
Like Fddriver said you can adjust it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL View Post
Isn't the auto dimming mirror for jack holes behind you with bright lights on?

My moms 06 taurus had one and it would block out the lights behind you.
lol yeah
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-18-2009
Mykhael's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: .
Posts: 4,197
Sorry for the questions

So say it is 5pm getting kinda dark. You have this switch in the middle. Your lights pop on without you doing anything?

When you stop and get out of the truck and turn it off they go out automatically or wait for awhile?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-18-2009
Tys 4x4 FTW's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Posts: 6,575
if its anything like my grand prix, they turn on when its dark enough, and turn off when you turn the vehicle off.

lol, it was funny, everytime i would drive into the garage with the grand prix, the lights would pop on

and autodimming mirrors ftw
have it in my grand prix, and its so nice when you're in a vehicle that sits that low to the ground
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-18-2009
Downey's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Muncy, PA
Posts: 8,470
can i do this on my 94 if i have the auto dim mirror
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-18-2009
Jimmeh's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Columbia Falls, MT
Posts: 3,224
How fast does the auto dim work? Is it like transition lenses on glasses that take forever to adjust to the light and then lighten back up again?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-18-2009
Jp7's Avatar
Jp7 Jp7 is offline
Member
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: My LED lab or on the dyno
Posts: 2,970
WARNING!

Auto on/off headlights are NOT good for HID. I've had to disable that feature on a few cares I've done HID for (not mine)
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-18-2009
TheStig88's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Columbia, Missouri
Posts: 2,120
wouldn't oncoming traffic shut them off?

What if i'm tailgating someone with bright taillights?

what if the moon is bright enough out that they don't come on?

does the fridge light go off when i shut the door?

how do midgets get into the top bunk of a bunk bed?


lol...sry
lots of questions in this thread
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-18-2009
whippersnapper02's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 7,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jp7 View Post
WARNING!

Auto on/off headlights are NOT good for HID. I've had to disable that feature on a few cares I've done HID for (not mine)
Auto headlights and daytime running lights are two different things. Daytime running lights are what cause damage to HIDs since they run the headlight bulb at a lower votage. There are plenty of cars out there with auto on and off headlights and HIDs stock from the factory. Infinity comes to mind.

Last edited by whippersnapper02; 02-18-2009 at 08:05 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-18-2009
04blackedge's Avatar
RF Veteran
Thread Starter
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 23,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL View Post
Sorry for the questions

So say it is 5pm getting kinda dark. You have this switch in the middle. Your lights pop on without you doing anything?

When you stop and get out of the truck and turn it off they go out automatically or wait for awhile?
Yeah lights will come on automatically, no work by you. You actually adjust the delay that the lights turn off, you can adjust it from immediatly to 3 minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmeh View Post
How fast does the auto dim work? Is it like transition lenses on glasses that take forever to adjust to the light and then lighten back up again?
I haven't had a chance to use the autodim yet actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jp7 View Post
WARNING!

Auto on/off headlights are NOT good for HID. I've had to disable that feature on a few cares I've done HID for (not mine)
You can turn the auto headlights off with the mirror. I can see how that would be bad for them turning on and off all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStig88 View Post
wouldn't oncoming traffic shut them off?

What if i'm tailgating someone with bright taillights?

what if the moon is bright enough out that they don't come on?

does the fridge light go off when i shut the door?

how do midgets get into the top bunk of a bunk bed?


lol...sry
lots of questions in this thread
The auto dim and auto headlights are 2 seperate things, they don't connect in any way. The taillights won't be bright enough to turn the heads off, no worries there.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-18-2009
whippersnapper02's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 7,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStig88 View Post
wouldn't oncoming traffic shut them off?

What if i'm tailgating someone with bright taillights?

what if the moon is bright enough out that they don't come on?
This is from Explorers. If any of this was a problem then they wouldn't work right in explorers or any other car that has them.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-18-2009
04blackedge's Avatar
RF Veteran
Thread Starter
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 23,426
Yeah this isn't some cheap autozone mirror lol, its a OEM part.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pictures of your favorite mod TANKER Snapshots 83 12-28-2011 10:07 AM
Pics of my new alcoas and exhaust; My favorite mod so far! freddie Snapshots 42 05-17-2009 07:36 PM
Whats your Favorite Mod reader585 General Ford Ranger Discussion 65 04-01-2009 02:41 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:30 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.