second brake light in 06 Tails - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


General Ford Ranger Discussion General discussion of the Ford Ranger that does not fit in any other sub-forum.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 01-26-2010
mmmtof's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 211
second brake light in 06 Tails

Just ordered some 06 tail lights and I was wondering if anyone ever did a write up on wiring your lights like this...saw this on another thread.


Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-26-2010
annguyen1981's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chicopee, MA
Posts: 1,888
I believe there was a writeup... don't know for sure though.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-26-2010
Melt's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 3,392
theres been a few write ups ... search jp7 or fx4wannabe01 ... trepaul86 may have one as well
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-26-2010
Fx4wannabe01's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (23)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Boring, Oregon
Posts: 21,721
search the threads I've posted....I posted tons of pics and info on adding a 3rd bulb. That's my vid.

All it is is drilling a hole on the backside of the reflector area, getting a 194/169/T10 wedge bulb pigtail and a 194 or 906 bulb. Then how you wire it depends on what you want your outcome to be....

If like the vid, one wire to the brake/turn, other wire to the running lamp.
If you want it on when the brakes come on, one wire to brake/turn, one to ground.
If just running light, one wire to running/parking lamp, one to ground. Pretty simple really.


*EDIT: Evidently, the thread I made is long gone. And the pics are somewhere burried in my external.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-27-2010
mmmtof's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx4wannabe01 View Post
search the threads I've posted....I posted tons of pics and info on adding a 3rd bulb. That's my vid.

All it is is drilling a hole on the backside of the reflector area, getting a 194/169/T10 wedge bulb pigtail and a 194 or 906 bulb. Then how you wire it depends on what you want your outcome to be....

If like the vid, one wire to the brake/turn, other wire to the running lamp.
If you want it on when the brakes come on, one wire to brake/turn, one to ground.
If just running light, one wire to running/parking lamp, one to ground. Pretty simple really.


*EDIT: Evidently, the thread I made is long gone. And the pics are somewhere burried in my external.

yeh i knew it was your video. I literally searched every thread started by the three names listed earlier and couldnt find anything.
thank you for specifics on the bulb holder
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-27-2010
GrafixGuy's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Montgomery, AL
Posts: 8,703
I did the mod as well & its in my threads... easy mod to do, the most important part is that you make a god seal or else the tail light will fog up. not cool

you consider doing 3157 sockets? then you could be like the new silverados
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-27-2010
mmmtof's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrafixGuy View Post
I did the mod as well & its in my threads... easy mod to do, the most important part is that you make a god seal or else the tail light will fog up. not cool

you consider doing 3157 sockets? then you could be like the new silverados
do you have a link to your thread, I looked and I cant find it. whats the difference with the 3157 socket?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-27-2010
Hillyard's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Evansville, Indiana
Posts: 1,018
Subscribed for later reference Does anybody have the color breakdown for the trailer brake connection?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-27-2010
TrePaul86's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Gresham, OR
Posts: 1,369
Search youtube, type in L1224R's in a Ranger and you'll see my thread. I used a 13 SMT RED LED in my 194/906 socket
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-27-2010
Fx4wannabe01's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (23)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Boring, Oregon
Posts: 21,721
When I'm not lazy, I'll find all my pics and crap and post 'em up.


The pigtails I used are stock pigtails off a 70's-early 90's chevy/gmc fullsize van corner/clearence lights. Just went to a junkyard and snipsnippocketpicket. But you can get brand new ones at auto parts stores.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillyard View Post
Subscribed for later reference Does anybody have the color breakdown for the trailer brake connection?
use a test light??? or tie into the 3157's right there on the tails.....




trailer wiring:
brown=running
white=ground
green=right
yellow=left
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-27-2010
Fx4wannabe01's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (23)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Boring, Oregon
Posts: 21,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrePaul86 View Post
Search youtube, type in L1224R's in a Ranger and you'll see my thread. I used a 13 SMT RED LED in my 194/906 socket

One lead to ground. The other to turn/brake.

Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-27-2010
TrePaul86's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Gresham, OR
Posts: 1,369
^^ Hey that's me! lol
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-24-2010
Hillyard's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Evansville, Indiana
Posts: 1,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrePaul86 View Post
^^ Hey that's me! lol
Ya I'm suprised the mods didn't delete it.....

If you tap into the trailer harness it won't affect the blinking speed?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-24-2010
GrafixGuy's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Montgomery, AL
Posts: 8,703
nope, still a 12v line. your good 2 go
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-25-2010
TrePaul86's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Gresham, OR
Posts: 1,369
I taped into the tail light socket.

Why would the mods delete it cuz it's from me? A mod posted it.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-25-2010
Fx4wannabe01's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (23)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Boring, Oregon
Posts: 21,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillyard View Post
Ya I'm suprised the mods didn't delete it.....
Hi. My name is Fx4wannabe01 and I'm a Ranger-Forums Moderator. I posted that video and what's this business about being "surprised the mods didn't delete it" all about???

I'd like to know...



Quote:
If you tap into the trailer harness it won't affect the blinking speed?
I'm not quite understanding what you're asking here....

Are you commenting on Tre's vid or my vid in the original post? Mine is just like the front blinker mod.....so timing is the same as the front. Tre's vid...the timing between the first blink and the rest are weird because of the flasher he and I used in our LED's(I'm currently LED and not running the 3rd bulb. Again...confused on exactly what you're getting at.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-25-2010
Hillyard's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Evansville, Indiana
Posts: 1,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx4wannabe01 View Post
Hi. My name is Fx4wannabe01 and I'm a Ranger-Forums Moderator. I posted that video and what's this business about being "surprised the mods didn't delete it" all about???

I'd like to know...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrePaul86 View Post
I taped into the tail light socket.

Why would the mods delete it cuz it's from me? A mod posted it.
Because I thought it was a rule you couldn't embed links in other people's threads.


TrePaul, as far as tapping into the tail lamp, the voltage change doesn't cause an issue with how fast the turn signal blinks? I thought if people put in LEDs they had to get a box to slow the blinker down. Do you understand what I'm getting at?

I assume if the circuit isn't complete it causes a quicker blink not adding another bulb. So you can just run the 194 bulb in parallel with the main brake lamp?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale: 01-05 stock tails, smoked 00 all red tails, stock corners. Jwad00 Interior, Exterior, Electrical, & Misc. 0 06-26-2010 07:54 PM
new tails are done!!!! and retinted my 3rd brake light too Tys 4x4 FTW Snapshots 44 01-14-2010 06:43 PM
06+ tails second bulb socket help crucialcolin Exterior Semi-Tech 5 08-19-2009 05:46 AM
For Sale: 03-05 Tails and 06+ Tails: MN malydeen Interior, Exterior, Electrical, & Misc. 2 08-10-2009 02:42 PM
led tails, very similar to 06+ stock tails sambob117 Exterior Semi-Tech 20 04-28-2008 09:15 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:56 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.