Think I am going to pick up a ranger! Little help - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


General Ford Ranger Discussion General discussion of the Ford Ranger that does not fit in any other sub-forum.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 10-07-2011
NewShockerGuy's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: NOVA
Posts: 599
Icon2 Think I am going to pick up a ranger! Little help

Welp, I need to get a daily driver. My STi is just too uncomfortable with everything that I have done to it over the years, on top of that I get like 18mpg or something just shy of it..lol

Not sure if this is allowed but I was looking at this:

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/m...620370234.html

Seems like a nice little truck, going tomorrow to look at it. Is there anything I should look for in the truck things to do while driving it? Is the price good?

My only thing is that lokos like it's an auto.. which is fine, but I'd prefer a manual.. because everything that I have read on here it seems manual is better? More reliable? Who knows, that's why I am posting on here..lol

I would like the price to come down a little, that seems high for that many miles? YAy nay?

this will be my first american car... I've only owned japanese cars so I am very familar with them and what needs to be done but on a truck...not so much. Seems people get well over 250k miles on these little 4bangers as long as you take care of it (as I do)

Thanks and hope to join yall!

-Nigel
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-07-2011
Level III Supporter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Maine
Posts: 1,220
Looks like a decent score.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-07-2011
rangertamer's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: nebraska city nebraska
Posts: 75
i like it. the miles are a little high, but that shouldnt matter aslong as the people actually took care of it and maintained it. it doesnt seem like to bad of a price.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-07-2011
NewShockerGuy's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: NOVA
Posts: 599
Is there anything I need to check for tomororw on the truck.. anything specific to ford rangers as a "look out" type of deal?

I agree that 170k seems very high to me however, seeing the 4banger mileage thread as put my mind to ease as far as lasting.. hopefully...

-Nigel
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-07-2011
Masteratarms93's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Goose Creek SC
Posts: 4,685
The only issues I would look into are transmission (Ford autos are...um..unreliable), oil burning (common with 2.3L DOHC), and the oversized tires. He's got like 31s on that thing. That hurts gas mileage. Bump em back down to the stock 235/75R15s and you'll be golden.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-07-2011
rangertamer's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: nebraska city nebraska
Posts: 75
just check the fluids and make sure everything looks okay on it, and take it for a ride down the highway to get it up to speed to see if it goes through all the gears fine.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-07-2011
NewShockerGuy's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: NOVA
Posts: 599
Icon2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masteratarms93 View Post
The only issues I would look into are transmission (Ford autos are...um..unreliable), oil burning (common with 2.3L DOHC), and the oversized tires. He's got like 31s on that thing. That hurts gas mileage. Bump em back down to the stock 235/75R15s and you'll be golden.
When you say that, it actually worries me... Would a manual be better? I know a manual would be cheaper but would it last longer per say?

When you say he has 31's , what is the stock tire size, 15"... if so does doubling the tire size like he did affect wheel beerings or put more stress and tear on the engine?

Planning on checking the fluids and things like that. Would it be a bad thing to change it to synthetic or keep it as regular dino oil sinec it's that high in mileage?

Thanks,
-Nigel
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-07-2011
FULLSCALE's Avatar
Level III Supporter

iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Clinton, Ontario
Posts: 8,181
Looks like a solid little truck... see if you can get some maintenance/service records. If they've maintained it well chances are good that they've kept proof of it!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-08-2011
rangertamer's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: nebraska city nebraska
Posts: 75
so have you went and looked at the truck yet.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-08-2011
NewShockerGuy's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: NOVA
Posts: 599
I'm headed there now. Talked the the guy on the phone and it's at the MD inspection station, they are looking/fixing the truck.

Guess it has an exhaust leak because it has a dual exhaust...

I'm wondering how much work is needed? He said the trans and engine are fine and no issues but in order to pass inhis state the leak has to be repaired,,, he said I could take it or get it fixed.. he would take money off but didn't say how much, or anything like that.

Hoping this isn't a molested truck.... Will know in about an hour once I get there...

Quickly though is an exhaust leak something that can be repaired or does it need an entire new exhaust?

thanks,
-Nigel
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-08-2011
Masteratarms93's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Goose Creek SC
Posts: 4,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewShockerGuy View Post
When you say that, it actually worries me... Would a manual be better? I know a manual would be cheaper but would it last longer per say?

When you say he has 31's , what is the stock tire size, 15"... if so does doubling the tire size like he did affect wheel beerings or put more stress and tear on the engine?

Planning on checking the fluids and things like that. Would it be a bad thing to change it to synthetic or keep it as regular dino oil sinec it's that high in mileage?

Thanks,
-Nigel
I mean...I prefer manual, and they last a hell of a lot longer lol. But I don't know, 180k on original auto trans is quite a bit. It should be on it's 2nd trans by now.

Yeah they should be 31x10.5x15. Stock ranger tires are like 28s. I'm just guessing they are 31s based on the pic. They could be 30x9.5x15 as well. They are defiantly oversized. It's not a BIG difference but being an auto it affects shift points. That being the case it would put more strain on the engine and trans. Depending on the axle gears as well. If he has 3.73s and not 4.10s gas mileage in the city suffers as well. And of course larger tires put more strain on front suspension components. Ball joints, rack and pinion, ties, and bearings. 30s and 31s aren't HUGE though, I'm being dramatic haha. Biggest concern you need to worry about 1. Gas mileage 2. Shift points on the auto trans

You can switch to and from synthetic and conventional all you want.

EDIT: To answer you exhaust leak question, it depends on where it's leaking from. If the muffler or cat has a hole in it then you will need to replace them. If there is a crack or hole in the tubing it just needs welded shut.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-08-2011
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Round Rock
Posts: 484
I would run over and pick it up!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-08-2011
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Havertown,PA
Posts: 467
I see more posts on here with problems with manusl trans then autos. My 2002 was fine eve after 185k. Never had issues. As long as you change the fluid a couple times they go forever. If you get a manual you will have clutch and slave issues.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-08-2011
NewShockerGuy's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: NOVA
Posts: 599
Welp I went and looked at it.

Couple things stuck me as odd. One being the front part of the grill right under the headlight was cut and in it's place a white piece of metal riveted in place.... not sure about that. Frame looked straight. Interior wasn't too bad. No spare tire. The truck had a dual exhaust and he told me that as he was driving it snapped... looked like a couple hangers broke or something but they had cut it right at the mid pipe on back... So I couldn't drive it... On the phone it went from an exhaust leak to "broken/snapped exhaust" I did start it and it started right up... It had a CEL, and when I pulled the code it was P2004. Looked online and it could be anywhere from a couple bucks to a $120 or so part...

Wheels were definitely larger and tires were as well. the rear support for the back of the bed/fender was broken on the right side but looking at the left it looks like that would be a couple bucks... Windows were tinted. He said it came from TN, but I saw rust/corrosion but it looked like some things were affected by salt..

I decided to not get it even though my gut says do it... I just didn't want to take the chance especially not being able to drive it... fix the CEL and find out there is more stuff wrong with it..etc.

He did go from $3500 down to $3000... but someone willing to drop the price $500 instantly tells me there is something else going on.... I think in the condition that it was in I would have been comfortable at the 2500-2800 range.

Sad panda now :-(

-Nigel
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-08-2011
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 737
With that many miles on it, you could be looking at a new engine, tranny, rear end, wheel bearings some time soon. Maybe you're better off without it.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-08-2011
Masteratarms93's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Goose Creek SC
Posts: 4,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEdge126 View Post
I see more posts on here with problems with manusl trans then autos. My 2002 was fine eve after 185k. Never had issues. As long as you change the fluid a couple times they go forever. If you get a manual you will have clutch and slave issues.
The clutch slave issues are more 4.0s. The little 4 cylinders don't put down enough power to burn them up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewShockerGuy View Post
Welp I went and looked at it.

Couple things stuck me as odd. One being the front part of the grill right under the headlight was cut and in it's place a white piece of metal riveted in place.... not sure about that. Frame looked straight. Interior wasn't too bad. No spare tire. The truck had a dual exhaust and he told me that as he was driving it snapped... looked like a couple hangers broke or something but they had cut it right at the mid pipe on back... So I couldn't drive it... On the phone it went from an exhaust leak to "broken/snapped exhaust" I did start it and it started right up... It had a CEL, and when I pulled the code it was P2004. Looked online and it could be anywhere from a couple bucks to a $120 or so part...

Wheels were definitely larger and tires were as well. the rear support for the back of the bed/fender was broken on the right side but looking at the left it looks like that would be a couple bucks... Windows were tinted. He said it came from TN, but I saw rust/corrosion but it looked like some things were affected by salt..

I decided to not get it even though my gut says do it... I just didn't want to take the chance especially not being able to drive it... fix the CEL and find out there is more stuff wrong with it..etc.

He did go from $3500 down to $3000... but someone willing to drop the price $500 instantly tells me there is something else going on.... I think in the condition that it was in I would have been comfortable at the 2500-2800 range.

Sad panda now :-(

-Nigel
Good call...that sounds like a whole lot of sketchyness.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-08-2011
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Havertown,PA
Posts: 467
I would walk from that one too.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Superlift is going on...finally going to be lifted!!!!!! t5cents Project Logs 44 03-24-2010 10:38 PM
Hope this isn't going to have political overtones, going Red to Blue. hawker General Ford Ranger Discussion 12 10-28-2007 01:00 PM
help me pick out headlights 2003stealthedge General Ford Ranger Discussion 10 10-17-2006 12:35 AM
Help me Pick my AMp 95offroadx Audio & Video Tech 9 03-25-2006 01:27 AM
Syncros going out or clutch going out??? rangedawgg Drivetrain Tech 4 08-31-2005 12:30 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:49 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.