General Ford Ranger Discussion General discussion of the Ford Ranger that does not fit in any other sub-forum.

Truck got towed today

  #1  
Old 07-18-2011
04RangerDave's Avatar
JDM> RANGER

Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: RI
Posts: 5,030
Truck got towed today

As many of you may know i have had a chrip noise from the engine bay. well today it sucked BIGGG TIME. About to go to work i start it up then i hear a chirp then grind and clunk. the harmonic balancer bolt snapped in the crank. its at my work now being repair. this sucks
 
  #2  
Old 07-18-2011
Member
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Douglasville, GA
Posts: 55
Sorry to hear, sounds like both our trucks are down for a minute.
 
  #3  
Old 07-18-2011
dixie_boysles's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NC
Posts: 3,779
dude, do you know how hard it is to get that bolt out on a regular basis! it will be a BITCH to get out broken off like that
 
  #4  
Old 07-18-2011
01RangerEdge's Avatar
Scrambles the DeathDealer
iTrader: (11)
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MO
Posts: 7,598
Probably should have sold it when you had the chance
 
  #5  
Old 07-18-2011
rangerboy101's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (5)
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Winchester, Va
Posts: 8,187
Time for a motor swap. Sell your 4.0, and drop a newer one in there.
 
  #6  
Old 07-18-2011
04RangerDave's Avatar
JDM> RANGER

Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: RI
Posts: 5,030
Originally Posted by 01RangerEdge View Post
Probably should have sold it when you had the chance
i'd rather have no payments. yet there are some VERY nice used cars on our lot.

Originally Posted by dixie_boysles View Post
dude, do you know how hard it is to get that bolt out on a regular basis! it will be a BITCH to get out broken off like that
that bolt isnt to bad on a ranger. still tight tho. I had to do a F650 at work now that was a project

Originally Posted by rangerboy101 View Post
Time for a motor swap. Sell your 4.0, and drop a newer one in there.
My boss told me that might have to be the case. Discounts :) hopefully it can be fixed
 
  #7  
Old 07-18-2011
ranger024x4's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (6)
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: nova
Posts: 5,061
so you are not working on your truck?
 
  #8  
Old 07-18-2011
rangerboy101's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (5)
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Winchester, Va
Posts: 8,187
Originally Posted by 04RangerDave View Post
My boss told me that might have to be the case. Discounts :) hopefully it can be fixed
Do it. It's pretty easy as long as you have the right tools. I'm pretty sure Shane did that to his truck over a weekend.
 
  #9  
Old 07-18-2011
04RangerDave's Avatar
JDM> RANGER

Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: RI
Posts: 5,030
Originally Posted by ranger024x4 View Post
so you are not working on your truck?
nope i did not get the job. i have 2 mustangs to do. both of which are getting the Ford touring exhaust installed.
 
  #10  
Old 07-18-2011
ranger024x4's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (6)
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: nova
Posts: 5,061
why is there a ticket it on it in the first place? i would have waited till after hours and knocked it out.
 
  #11  
Old 07-18-2011
StxDangerRanger's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (2)
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Flat Rock, Mi
Posts: 6,313
I've done one of these before. its a real pain like Scott said.
In my opinion, i'd start looking for a new 4.0, this one is not going to be the same.
 
  #12  
Old 07-18-2011
04RangerDave's Avatar
JDM> RANGER

Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: RI
Posts: 5,030
Originally Posted by StxDangerRanger View Post
I've done one of these before. its a real pain like Scott said.
In my opinion, i'd start looking for a new 4.0, this one is not going to be the same.
Why wont it be the same
 
  #13  
Old 07-18-2011
rolsmojave3's Avatar
Level III Supporter
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,852
Originally Posted by ranger024x4 View Post
why is there a ticket it on it in the first place? i would have waited till after hours and knocked it out.
No kidding, I still don't understand this.
 
  #14  
Old 07-18-2011
StxDangerRanger's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (2)
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Flat Rock, Mi
Posts: 6,313
Originally Posted by 04RangerDave View Post
Why wont it be the same
well, could be, could not be. what are they all replacing? the more the replace, the more problems your gonna encounter.
 
  #15  
Old 07-18-2011
Masteratarms93's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (8)
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Goose Creek SC
Posts: 4,685
Originally Posted by rangerboy101 View Post
Do it. It's pretty easy as long as you have the right tools. I'm pretty sure Shane did that to his truck over a weekend.
And he put an 04 Sport Trac engine in his 01, if you do a Ranger to Ranger swap it's a piece o' cake.


Dave, why does your Ranger hate you so much? lmao Sorry bud. She's cursed.
 
  #16  
Old 07-18-2011
04RangerDave's Avatar
JDM> RANGER

Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: RI
Posts: 5,030
New crank pulley and balancer, new bolt. New crank sensor. I joined the tech that got the job and we just welded a nut to the broken bolt and got her out. New seal also. Grand total 355$ not bad at all
 
  #17  
Old 07-18-2011
Taylor's Avatar
Ive been dubbed....an old volk
iTrader: (18)
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Nashville, NC
Posts: 7,110
Originally Posted by Masteratarms93 View Post
Dave, why does your Ranger hate you so much? lmao Sorry bud. She's cursed.
Dude, like I said before, its because he un-murdered it. As soon as he took the powder-coated rims off, his truck started falling apart. haha.

Dave, remember my post that said "$9k sound good?"
 
  #18  
Old 07-18-2011
RLong31's Avatar
The Ban Hammer
iTrader: (5)
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Monrovia, IN
Posts: 2,629
Originally Posted by 04RangerDave View Post
New crank pulley and balancer, new bolt. New crank sensor. I joined the tech that got the job and we just welded a nut to the broken bolt and got her out. New seal also. Grand total 355$ not bad at all
That's not bad at all. Crank pulley alone is like $200-250 anyway right?
 
  #19  
Old 07-18-2011
btm757's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (5)
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Norfolk / Chesapeake, VA
Posts: 3,980
Originally Posted by dixie_boysles View Post
dude, do you know how hard it is to get that bolt out on a regular basis! it will be a BITCH to get out broken off like that
mine was easy to get out. when it had a head on it. hahaha all I had to do was rest the breaker bar on the frame rail and bumped the motor over...
 
  #20  
Old 07-18-2011
Kysus's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: London, Ontairo
Posts: 250
ooo swappp it!

iv always wanted to take a modern engine out of a ranger and slap it into my 87
 
  #21  
Old 07-18-2011
04RangerDave's Avatar
JDM> RANGER

Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: RI
Posts: 5,030
Originally Posted by Kysus View Post
ooo swappp it!

iv always wanted to take a modern engine out of a ranger and slap it into my 87
I have PATS

Originally Posted by btm757 View Post
mine was easy to get out. when it had a head on it. hahaha all I had to do was rest the breaker bar on the frame rail and bumped the motor over...
i did that with a F650 and it did not go well

Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
Dude, like I said before, its because he un-murdered it. As soon as he took the powder-coated rims off, his truck started falling apart. haha.

Dave, remember my post that said "$9k sound good?"
i was waiting for you. and yes i remember
 
  #22  
Old 07-19-2011
Taylor's Avatar
Ive been dubbed....an old volk
iTrader: (18)
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Nashville, NC
Posts: 7,110
Lol.

In all seriousness, dude I know you are frustrated. Sorry to hear all of this mess is going on with your truck.

Keep workin on it, you will get it right.
 
  #23  
Old 07-19-2011
cchsbuzz19's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (5)
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: North Canton, Ohio
Posts: 2,417
Originally Posted by Masteratarms93 View Post
And he put an 04 Sport Trac engine in his 01, if you do a Ranger to Ranger swap it's a piece o' cake.


Dave, why does your Ranger hate you so much? lmao Sorry bud. She's cursed.
His engine didn't come from a Sport Trac...It came from a 06 Ranger. And it wasn't cake if I can remember. He had some minor issues at first.
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
wvcat
Project Logs
38
08-20-2010 05:20 PM
cmher18
General Technical & Electrical
26
01-10-2007 06:00 AM
wanted
General Ford Ranger Discussion
7
11-26-2006 08:52 AM
eguy208
Drivetrain Tech
25
09-24-2006 11:34 PM
vp6799
General Ford Ranger Discussion
19
09-05-2005 10:25 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Truck got towed today


Contact Us - Sitemap - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.