KC lights - which kind? - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


General Technical & Electrical General technical and electrical discussion for the Ford Ranger that does not fit in any other sub-forum.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 01-04-2006
mkoenig's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Indiana
Posts: 207
KC lights - which kind?

OK, I know this topic has been covered several times, but I'm looking for opinions, not necessarily technical info. Zach (Redneckstone), thanks for your write-up on the various KC models (https://www.ranger-forums.com/forum2...ight=kc+lights). Excellent technical information, leaving no gray area about what's what in the KC product listing.

I'm going to be buying a pair of off-road lights, for use with Junsus Modified light tabs. With Zach's contribution, I have narrowed my choice to two models. I was hoping to get some opinions on each of these lights, and some reccommendations.

Option #1: KC Black Daylighter, 130w system, #631
- Are they any good at all? I recall someone saying that they're too narrow, and don't throw much light, but I can't find that post now.

Option #2: KC Black SlimLite, 130w system, #121
- These are very popular with the members here. How do they compare against the Daylighters?

I'm sure everyone is tired of seeing stuff about KC questions, but I really just want some opinions to help me make the decision. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-04-2006
Level III Supporter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: usa
Posts: 24,936
i own daylighters they will fit on the light tabs BUT they look chunky IMO on just light tabs go with the slims 10000% for light tab aplication. and also i recommend spending hte extra buck and doing titanum but then agian black will get the job done.

and Thanks for the compliment on writing the thread. and glad people are acully using it instead of me going insane
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-04-2006
fx4me's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: CA
Posts: 1,507
Ditto on the titanium Slimlite, it's like 10 bucks more than the black. are looking at driving lights or long range?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-04-2006
mkoenig's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Indiana
Posts: 207
It sounds like the SlimLites are the way to go. I'm still on the fence though about the color of the case. I'll have to just do something there. I was leaning toward the long range, rather than the driving lights. Do the long range give good light distribution? Anyone have any comments on either of these?

Thanks again guys for your help.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-04-2006
Level III Supporter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: usa
Posts: 24,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoenig
It sounds like the SlimLites are the way to go. I'm still on the fence though about the color of the case. I'll have to just do something there. I was leaning toward the long range, rather than the driving lights. Do the long range give good light distribution? Anyone have any comments on either of these?

Thanks again guys for your help.
what style of driving will you be using them in? long country roads that dont curve much. or up close or curvy roads need more info.....
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-04-2006
mkoenig's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Indiana
Posts: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneckstone
what style of driving will you be using them in? long country roads that dont curve much. or up close or curvy roads need more info.....
I know where you're going with this! I usually find myself out in the open on country roads, and not in the backcountry as much (or at least as much as I'd like to). With that, you'd probably suggest the long-range lights Zach?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-04-2006
Level III Supporter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: usa
Posts: 24,936
long range...
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-04-2006
Strider0O0's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 3,588
Zach- if i were to do the light bar from Bob (mounting on his tabs up front), would using a set of long range and a set of driving be alright? i'd want to get the most out of everything i think. more than anything, i'd have them for off road use only.. i'd like everything to be well lit though. so, would using a set of each work?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-04-2006
LILBLUE04FX4L2's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Exit 105 New Jersey
Posts: 2,409
none of the KC lights you refer to are legal for street use
I have the 6" Titanium SlimLite with the 130 watt ice blue bulb - driving lens
works well, one burnt bulb in 18 months, have been under water more than once
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-04-2006
Level III Supporter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: usa
Posts: 24,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by LILBLUE04FX4L2
none of the KC lights you refer to are legal for street use
thats a big dur on that one anything over 55w which is basically everything KC has is not "street" legal.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-04-2006
Level III Supporter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: usa
Posts: 24,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider0O0
Zach- if i were to do the light bar from Bob (mounting on his tabs up front), would using a set of long range and a set of driving be alright? i'd want to get the most out of everything i think. more than anything, i'd have them for off road use only.. i'd like everything to be well lit though. so, would using a set of each work?
yes i would acully recommend a set of driving and long range used togeather is the smartest way.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-04-2006
LILBLUE04FX4L2's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Exit 105 New Jersey
Posts: 2,409
Zach why are you asking what kind of road he drives on and then recommending off road lights?

those KC lights are strickly for OFF ROAD use any thing else is illegal
sure you may never receive a citation, but that does not make it legal
if you are looking for auxilary lighting for use on road go with a lower powered KC model
even when using the SlimLites or DayLighters off road if you are not leading the pack you can't really turn them on because you will be blinding the truck in front of you
and in the woods the long range power is lost because you can't see that far down the trail even in the day light
long rangers are best for open desert work - the beam is very narrow
the driving lens disperses the beam a little bit but will still reach out two or three times as far as your highbeams

buy what you like - just don't let the police catch you with them on at night
they are very bright and will blind an on coming vehicle (or the guy in front of you) from very, very far away
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-04-2006
Level III Supporter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: usa
Posts: 24,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by LILBLUE04FX4L2
Zach why are you asking what kind of road he drives on and then recommending off road lights?

those KC lights are strickly for OFF ROAD use any thing else is illegal
sure you may never receive a citation, but that does not make it legal
if you are looking for auxilary lighting for use on road go with a lower powered KC model
even when using the SlimLites or DayLighters off road if you are not leading the pack you can't really turn them on because you will be blinding the truck in front of you
and in the woods the long range power is lost because you can't see that far down the trail even in the day light
long rangers are best for open desert work - the beam is very narrow
the driving lens disperses the beam a little bit but will still reach out two or three times as far as your highbeams

buy what you like - just don't let the police catch you with them on at night
they are very bright and will blind an on coming vehicle (or the guy in front of you) from very, very far away
ok dad...i was asking where he was planning on using them to answer his question. i am not going to lecture him on what not and what to do thats his chioce. and idk where you live most "back roads" up here there is no light restrition. also alot of our "back roads" you wont see someone for about an hour.....so do as you please neil..

i dont use ANY of my KC's in the city roads or highways i mean come on there neil i am not a moron i know how to use them

if he wanted a road worthy light then i suggest going to autozone and buying the piece of crap 55w tuner lights...

you can stop the dad lecture every time KC lights or any offroad lights come up for that matter we arnt morons neil its says right one the box and on the site OFFROAD USE ONLY...from there people can do as they please if they get a ticket thats there falt...

Last edited by Redneckstone; 01-04-2006 at 09:38 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-04-2006
LILBLUE04FX4L2's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Exit 105 New Jersey
Posts: 2,409
I really hate when you quote like that Zach!
who said you were a moron - point me at him
that is reserved for your Dad and now apparently me.....
thanks

and are you asying that KC does not make a road worthy light??
this is a confusing statement from the professed KC light guru

PS - I am calling BS on changes to the Michigan code for use of auxilary lighting that might vary by the 'location' of the road
country or city I bet the only change is to the speed limit
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-04-2006
Level III Supporter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: usa
Posts: 24,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by LILBLUE04FX4L2
PS - I am calling BS on changes to the Michigan code for use of auxilary lighting that might vary by the 'location' of the road
country or city I bet the only change is to the speed limit
i dont understand your wording but i bet i know what your getting at. on our back boone dock roads if you have like per say my truck and have all the lights on in the middle BFE your see a car coming and turn them off and if it so happens to be a cop they dont do anything. really i know this one. now on the city thats a different story. i have been stoped when getting a ticket for something stupid cop even asked me if i use them in the city i sayed come on now no.. he sayed ok...
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-04-2006
LILBLUE04FX4L2's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Exit 105 New Jersey
Posts: 2,409
ouch - I am getting a headache decoding that
you're right, I'm wrong
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-04-2006
Level III Supporter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: usa
Posts: 24,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by LILBLUE04FX4L2
this is a confusing statement from the professed KC light guru
oh btw i dont professe i am a KC guru thats other people i just say i am a light addict thats all lol...people just keep asking me KC questions so i answer. and yes KC does have SOME road legal lights but there not the best in my book but thats IMO...
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-04-2006
Level III Supporter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: usa
Posts: 24,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by LILBLUE04FX4L2
ouch - I am getting a headache decoding that
you're right, I'm wrong
dont think to much i try not too

i am not trying to say your right i am wrong yada yada we just fight to much i suggest we get foam batts and beat the **** out of each other we might feel better lol...
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-04-2006
LILBLUE04FX4L2's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Exit 105 New Jersey
Posts: 2,409
again with the quoting.... why??
I hope to see you at Niagara Falls - no excuses college boy
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-04-2006
Level III Supporter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: usa
Posts: 24,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by LILBLUE04FX4L2
again with the quoting.... why??
I hope to see you at Niagara Falls - no excuses college boy
ok now i know it bothers you its on like donky dong lol.....
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 01-04-2006
LILBLUE04FX4L2's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Exit 105 New Jersey
Posts: 2,409
Zach - I don't know what you mean by donky dong but if you continue to needless quote me the gloves will come off
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-04-2006
Level III Supporter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: usa
Posts: 24,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by LILBLUE04FX4L2
Zach - I don't know what you mean by donky dong but if you continue to needless quote me the gloves will come off
i love you neil...lol......ROFL...
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-04-2006
LILBLUE04FX4L2's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Exit 105 New Jersey
Posts: 2,409
I am not laughing
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-04-2006
Level III Supporter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: usa
Posts: 24,936
lighten up neil
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-04-2006
Strider0O0's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 3,588
I'd like to take a quick time out and thank you for answering my question.

lol, and now, back to the nonsense.. GO!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which tire and Which size? Redrider11 Wheels & Tires Semi-Tech 16 01-17-2010 09:47 PM
which kind of clutch to get? Jordan Drivetrain Tech 2 03-17-2009 07:49 PM
What kind of Head lights? xXcecinestpasXx General Technical & Electrical 35 01-29-2009 07:33 PM
need to know which wire is which RedPowerRanger General Technical & Electrical 3 01-28-2007 06:25 PM
off road lights, which kind? TippnOver General Ford Ranger Discussion 35 12-18-2004 06:27 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:17 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.