Ranger runs a like 2 cylinder John Deere - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


General Technical & Electrical General technical and electrical discussion for the Ford Ranger that does not fit in any other sub-forum.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 04-25-2006
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Indianapolis,Indiana
Posts: 5
Ranger runs a like 2 cylinder John Deere

I have a 1991 Ranger with a 2.9 l engine. The problem I have started around 2 weeks after I replaced a bad fuel pump. It will start, after I crank it for a while and after it begins to fire, I pump the accelerator to keep it going. If I let up on it, it will idle down rapidly and sit there running like it is hitting on 2 or 3 cylinders and then die. If I remove the hose from the intake manifold and spray starting fluid into it, it will start and run perfectly until the starting fluid is used up.
I have replaced the fuel filter, dist cap and rotor, plugs and wires,and the new fuel pump came with a new strainer. It was an assembly that I just dropped in to replace the defective unit. If I do a pressure test, it will read around 40 psi but I have questions about that too. I would think that if I depress the relief button on the pressure tester while the pump is running, it would run gas out and continue until I shut the key off. It doesn't do this. It lets a little bit of gas run out but the pump shuts off like it has built pressure and the gas just trickles out, and the pump never kicks back on. Maybe this is a clue for someone who knows more about this system than I do. This may be normal. If I disconnect the braided hose that comes from the fuel tank, the pump will run until I turn the key off and it seems to have a lot of pressure and volume. Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-25-2006
V8 Level II's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by 400Kranger
If I do a pressure test, it will read around 40 psi but I have questions about that too. I would think that if I depress the relief button on the pressure tester while the pump is running, it would run gas out and continue until I shut the key off. It doesn't do this. It lets a little bit of gas run out but the pump shuts off like it has built pressure and the gas just trickles out, and the pump never kicks back on. Maybe this is a clue for someone who knows more about this system than I do. This may be normal. If I disconnect the braided hose that comes from the fuel tank, the pump will run until I turn the key off and it seems to have a lot of pressure and volume. Any help would be appreciated.
The fuel rail pressure should be about 40 PSI by keying on the ignition w/the engine off and about 30 PSI with the engine idling. When you turn the key to "ON" but don't start the engine, the pump will only run for about 1~2 seconds to pressurize the rail and then shut off. It starts running again when the PCM sees crank rotation.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-25-2006
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Indianapolis,Indiana
Posts: 5
That explains why it doesn't continue to run fuel out. Thank you. Any thoughts on the sluggish running?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-25-2006
V8 Level II's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by 400Kranger
I have a 1991 Ranger with a 2.9 l engine. The problem I have started around 2 weeks after I replaced a bad fuel pump. It will start, after I crank it for a while and after it begins to fire, I pump the accelerator to keep it going. If I let up on it, it will idle down rapidly and sit there running like it is hitting on 2 or 3 cylinders and then die. If I remove the hose from the intake manifold and spray starting fluid into it, it will start and run perfectly until the starting fluid is used up.
Since it responds to starter fluid, I would guess:

Dirty injectors;
Vacuum leak; or
Low fuel pressure while running



I'm not sure but I suspect that your engine is speed density, bank-to-bank injection. If so, that opens up a couple more good possibilities:

Open PCM injector wire to one cylinder bank (actuates 3 of the 6 injectors); or
Bad Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) sensor
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-25-2006
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Indianapolis,Indiana
Posts: 5
I have been thinking that the issue revolves around the injector system. I can replace the MAP sensor and see if that helps if you think it may be the culprit. I think it's the original. I have owned this truck since it was new.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-25-2006
V8 Level II's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by 400Kranger
I have been thinking that the issue revolves around the injector system. I can replace the MAP sensor and see if that helps if you think it may be the culprit. I think it's the original. I have owned this truck since it was new.
Actually, I think that the MAP is the least likely of the things I posted. I would check the wiring from the injector harness to the PCM - I have heard that having one bank (3 cylinders) out because of the injector wiring is a known problem with the earlier Ranger sixes.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-26-2006
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Indianapolis,Indiana
Posts: 5
Thank you Bob. I'll check the wiring first.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-04-2006
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Indianapolis,Indiana
Posts: 5
I wanted to post the final solution to my rough running problem. Remember, I replaced the fuel pump early in the history of the problem. What I found out was that I didnt have the new pump sealed very well and water leaked into the tank. I was trying to burn a gas/water solution that dont work very well. Remember that if you replace your fuel pump, seal it well. Thanks for all of your help.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-04-2006
V8 Level II's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,831
Good info. I wouldn't have guessed that one.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Some pics of the Deere rangerboy101 Snapshots 27 10-28-2010 05:51 PM
mmmmmm 5.0 John Deere Ranger Lefty04LevelII General Ford Ranger Discussion 8 02-15-2007 12:29 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:53 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.