Using the 4x4 switch as a 3-position 'normal' switch... - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource

General Technical & Electrical General technical and electrical discussion for the Ford Ranger that does not fit in any other sub-forum.

Using the 4x4 switch as a 3-position 'normal' switch...

Reply

 
 
 
  #1  
Old 12-07-2005
Swoop1156's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Hanover, Maryland
Posts: 1,965
Using the 4x4 switch as a 3-position 'normal' switch...

I hooked my fog lights into a stock location foglight switch.

I am going to run the electric fan as well. I was wanting to have a master switch with three positions, if it's even possible.

Here is what I am considering, if it can be done.

Use the 4x4 switch, as it'll be in the stock location, and will look all fancy and junk.

2WD would be "OFF"
4HI would be "AUTO"
4LO would be "ON"

Is it possible to have it like that? The auto setting would run on the thermostat...

Bob? John? Anyone?

Thanks in advance!
 
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-07-2005
RF Veteran
Join Date: May 2005
Location: College Station, TX
Posts: 5,782
I bet you could, haha
 
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-07-2005
Morph's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 979
I dont see a reason why not, its just wiring. As long as you can still run the T-Case with another switch, I'd say run with it. WHats the worst thats gonna happen? You run alot of wires and it doesnt work, so you have to re-hook up the 4x4 Switch to the Tcase?
 
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-07-2005
Swoop1156's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Hanover, Maryland
Posts: 1,965
Originally Posted by Morph
I dont see a reason why not, its just wiring. As long as you can still run the T-Case with another switch, I'd say run with it. WHats the worst thats gonna happen? You run alot of wires and it doesnt work, so you have to re-hook up the 4x4 Switch to the Tcase?
Heeh, I don't have a transfer case...I would never d/c the stock 4x4 to run a fan, lol.
 
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-07-2005
V8 Level II's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (4)
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,910
The 4x4 switch is a 3 position switch with one input and one output. Each of the three possible paths through the switch has an different internal resistor to vary the voltage seen at the 4WD Control Module. This voltage level is how the 4WDCM knows the driver's command.

To use it as you are proposing, Adam, you would need to bypass each of the internal resistors in the 2 "ON" paths and open the wire in the "OFF" path. You would also have to separate the single output wire into two "ON" wires. I don't know if bypassing the resistors and splitting the outputs is practical - I've never seen the inside of the switch.

In addition, this switch is probably designed for very low current. Would it handle switching fan relays? No idea.
 
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-07-2005
Swoop1156's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Hanover, Maryland
Posts: 1,965
Hmm... Maybe I should just get a dual-spot foglight bezel and use the second switch for the fan, on/off. Maybe I should just leave it on auto.

I'd really like to have a 3-position switch that looked very stock...do you have any sugestions?
 
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-08-2005
Blhde's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 2,804
Originally Posted by rwenzing
The 4x4 switch is a 3 position switch with one input and one output. Each of the three possible paths through the switch has an different internal resistor to vary the voltage seen at the 4WD Control Module. This voltage level is how the 4WDCM knows the driver's command.

To use it as you are proposing, Adam, you would need to bypass each of the internal resistors in the 2 "ON" paths and open the wire in the "OFF" path. You would also have to separate the single output wire into two "ON" wires. I don't know if bypassing the resistors and splitting the outputs is practical - I've never seen the inside of the switch.

In addition, this switch is probably designed for very low current. Would it handle switching fan relays? No idea.

coulndt he build a electronic device that would be able to sense the voltage and turn the circuit he wanted?

i lack that knowledge but someone here may
 
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-08-2005
V8 Level II's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (4)
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,910
Originally Posted by Swoop1156
Hmm... Maybe I should just get a dual-spot foglight bezel and use the second switch for the fan, on/off. Maybe I should just leave it on auto.

I'd really like to have a 3-position switch that looked very stock...do you have any sugestions?
A Ranger headlight switch has almost what you need electrically (off position and two on positions). The only problem is that the park contacts are hot in both "on" positions.

This would probably work: just use the park position for "auto" and the headlight position to override it for "always on". Depending on how it's wired, you might need a diode in there somewhere or perhaps the relay(s) will take care of it.
 

Last edited by V8 Level II; 12-08-2005 at 05:27 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-08-2005
Swoop1156's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Hanover, Maryland
Posts: 1,965
Originally Posted by rwenzing
A Ranger headlight switch has almost what you need electrically (off position and two on positions). The only problem is that the park contacts are hot in both "on" positions.

This would probably work: just use the park position for "auto" and the headlight position to override it for "always on". Depending on how it's wired, you might need a diode in there somewhere or perhaps the relay(s) will take care of it.
Grand! Now, if the headlight switch can be fabbed to fit where the 4x4 switch is.

Bob, if you ever have any time, could I convince you with something to help me out with this? I can do the wiring, just not the research. I am not that smart!

Thank you so much for even contesting the idea.
 
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-08-2005
Swoop1156's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Hanover, Maryland
Posts: 1,965
Bob, I had yet another idea. I think that it might not work, but could be cool if I wanted just straight on/off. What about a Sport Trac rear window control? It rotates to the left and right, making a contact and then returning to middle ground. Seems like it makes a contact, activates a relay and goes back to a neutral state. Seems to me it would only have 2 positions.
 
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-08-2005
V8 Level II's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (4)
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,910
Originally Posted by Swoop1156
Grand! Now, if the headlight switch can be fabbed to fit where the 4x4 switch is.

Bob, if you ever have any time, could I convince you with something to help me out with this? I can do the wiring, just not the research. I am not that smart!

Thank you so much for even contesting the idea.
No problem, Adam. I think it's possible to make the H/L switch work electrically. My suggestion would be to try the 4x4 **** on the H/L switch but Murphy's Law says that there's not much chance of it fitting.

You also need to watch the depth on anything mounted in the bezel. I had a bit of trouble with that with my nonstandard switches.
 
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-08-2005
V8 Level II's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (4)
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,910
Originally Posted by Swoop1156
Bob, I had yet another idea. I think that it might not work, but could be cool if I wanted just straight on/off. What about a Sport Trac rear window control? It rotates to the left and right, making a contact and then returning to middle ground. Seems like it makes a contact, activates a relay and goes back to a neutral state. Seems to me it would only have 2 positions.
Maybe. I have a 2003 ST book and it shows the rear window switch as two position momentary-on with a center off. You could make a pair of latching circuits using a some relays to activate the two "on" positions. But then you would need a way to be able to turn it off when desired.

It looks like the ST switch also has a separate "vent" command that you might be able to use for a cancel switch. The diagram and tests do not indicate if the vent contacts are momentary-on like a doorbell pushbutton or if they stay on like a house wall switch. The pushbutton style would be ideal for a cancel switch.

Since the 2-position part of the switch always returns to center after use, you might want to add a "fan on" LED so you can monitor what mode the fan is in.
 
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-08-2005
Swoop1156's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Hanover, Maryland
Posts: 1,965
Originally Posted by rwenzing
Maybe. I have a 2003 ST book and it shows the rear window switch as two position momentary-on with a center off. You could make a pair of latching circuits using a some relays to activate the two "on" positions. But then you would need a way to be able to turn it off when desired.

It looks like the ST switch also has a separate "vent" command that you might be able to use for a cancel switch. The diagram and tests do not indicate if the vent contacts are momentary-on like a doorbell pushbutton or if they stay on like a house wall switch. The pushbutton style would be ideal for a cancel switch.

Since the 2-position part of the switch always returns to center after use, you might want to add a "fan on" LED so you can monitor what mode the fan is in.
I forgot about the 'push' function of the ST switch. Hmm. This sounds awesome. The push could be off, that would make the most sense to me. One way or the other could be on and auto.

What do you think, Bob?
 
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-08-2005
V8 Level II's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (4)
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,910
Originally Posted by Swoop1156
I forgot about the 'push' function of the ST switch. Hmm. This sounds awesome. The push could be off, that would make the most sense to me. One way or the other could be on and auto.

What do you think, Bob?
I haven't seen the switch in person but it does sound promising.
 
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-08-2005
Swoop1156's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Hanover, Maryland
Posts: 1,965
Originally Posted by rwenzing
I haven't seen the switch in person but it does sound promising.
If you can conger up the idea, drawings nad know-how, I'd definately make it worth your time...
 
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-19-2005
RAYJAY's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: SCRANTON PA
Posts: 86
Swoop on the 2 door explore sports how about the rear wiper switch
 
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-19-2005
Swoop1156's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Hanover, Maryland
Posts: 1,965
Originally Posted by RAYJAY
Swoop on the 2 door explore sports how about the rear wiper switch
Yeah, thought about that one, but that would be a "on/off" switch. I was trying to be cool and functional at the same time using 3. I might just get another foglight switch and a bezel for both spots and change the foglight picture to a wiper picture just to differenciate, and use it as an on/off thing.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
sheltonfilms
General Technical & Electrical
3
07-30-2011 10:29 AM
Scott'sRanger
General Technical & Electrical
2
12-04-2010 04:50 PM
winks
General Ford Ranger Discussion
10
10-28-2009 10:51 PM
Fx4wannabe01
General Technical & Electrical
9
10-06-2007 11:11 PM
brunetmj
General Technical & Electrical
7
09-24-2006 12:57 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Using the 4x4 switch as a 3-position 'normal' switch...


Contact Us Sitemap Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.