vibrating gas pedal - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


General Technical & Electrical General technical and electrical discussion for the Ford Ranger that does not fit in any other sub-forum.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 02-12-2006
Devils_Advocate's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: plant city
Posts: 149
vibrating gas pedal

anybody had / have this ? its almost as if i can feel the engine detonating , through the pedal . only happens when the engine is running so im assuming its something gettin transfered through the cable , and not the cable gettin caught up on something ..

i cant figure it out it only happens under certain throttle percentages too. its not across the whole motion of the gas pedal . id say the first 60% of pedal movement i can feel it . then it goes away from there on up to 100% throttle. ..

maybe somebody down here in FL can drive it sometime and check it out .

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-12-2006
Rand's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Barberton,Ohio
Posts: 1,189
I get that really bad with cruise on if i go up a gentle hill.. it actually makes an audible noise as it vibrates LOUDLY(the gas pedal)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-12-2006
FireRanger's Avatar  
Join Date: May 2004
Location: CT
Posts: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand
I get that really bad with cruise on if i go up a gentle hill.. it actually makes an audible noise as it vibrates LOUDLY(the gas pedal)
I get the same thing. It gets worse over time too. I've been meaning to mess around with the pedal to make it stop but I keep forgetting (for 3 years now).

I've never felt detonation through the pedal though, that is a new one by me.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-12-2006
Devils_Advocate's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: plant city
Posts: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireRanger
I get the same thing. It gets worse over time too. I've been meaning to mess around with the pedal to make it stop but I keep forgetting (for 3 years now).

I've never felt detonation through the pedal though, that is a new one by me.
its not detonating though . thats the closest thing i could use to describe it .. it feels like ticking or vibrating .. like im running a gas pedal that has relays on it and they are clicking on and off . its really weird . lets say at 30% throttle i feel a "tap" on the gas pedal .. no matter if im accelerating or decelerating , i get that same "tap" at that exact same spot or throttle percentage every time ..

using that same scenario , if i pump the pedal between 28 and 32 % , ill feel the pedal click each time i push and release the pedal across that 30% threshold ..

i know i sound crazy but you have to feel it to understand it . i really dont know any other way to describe it .
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-12-2006
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Haverhill, MA
Posts: 1,907
well i dont feel clicks on mine but i can like feel my engine working when i give more it vibrates more but it dosent bother me i got usto it, unless its something really bad then someone tell lol

ill have tio go try mine after the snowstorm and see what happens

Nick
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-12-2006
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Haverhill, MA
Posts: 1,907
sry for double post comp is being stupid dont know how to get rid of it

Last edited by FireRanger; 02-12-2006 at 03:26 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-12-2006
Devils_Advocate's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: plant city
Posts: 149
i just changed the spark plugs and wires and it actually helped alot .

the plugs i took out had way too much gap in them .
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-12-2006
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
i have this problem too. only under cruise tho. i tried tightening the bolt that holds the pedal broke the bolt.

i just hate the sound it makes.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-12-2006
mkoenig's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Indiana
Posts: 207
Johnny E., it sounds like your problem is different that what everyone else has chimed in with. It also sounds like you've addressed the issue. I was going to recommend lubricating and checking your throttle cable and linkage. Also cleaning the throttle body could help out. My throttle was sticking shut, so I removed it, cleaned it, and went the extra mile to adjust the set screw to keep the plate out a little further. I was thinking that your butterfly was sticking inside the throttle body, or the linkage on the outside of the throttle body was causing a problem.

As far as the throttle pedal buzzing, I get the same thing too. It happens only under cruise control, and only when the cruise dials in more throttle when encountering an incline. So, the buzzing is caused by a resonance as created by the greater engine load. On flat terrain, there is no buzzing.

I have also noticed that when I lay my foot on the pedal (barely touching it) the buzzing goes away. This leads me to believe that the noise is coming from the pivot between the throttle pedal and the pedal arm. I don't think it's between the pedal arm and the throttle cable.

I haven't done anything about it yet, but I'm going to start with some lithium grease on the throttle pedal pivot.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-12-2006
Devils_Advocate's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: plant city
Posts: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoenig
Johnny E., it sounds like your problem is different that what everyone else has chimed in with. It also sounds like you've addressed the issue. I was going to recommend lubricating and checking your throttle cable and linkage. Also cleaning the throttle body could help out. My throttle was sticking shut, so I removed it, cleaned it, and went the extra mile to adjust the set screw to keep the plate out a little further. I was thinking that your butterfly was sticking inside the throttle body, or the linkage on the outside of the throttle body was causing a problem.

As far as the throttle pedal buzzing, I get the same thing too. It happens only under cruise control, and only when the cruise dials in more throttle when encountering an incline. So, the buzzing is caused by a resonance as created by the greater engine load. On flat terrain, there is no buzzing.

I have also noticed that when I lay my foot on the pedal (barely touching it) the buzzing goes away. This leads me to believe that the noise is coming from the pivot between the throttle pedal and the pedal arm. I don't think it's between the pedal arm and the throttle cable.

I haven't done anything about it yet, but I'm going to start with some lithium grease on the throttle pedal pivot.

thanks for chiming in , im going to check the places you mentioned as well . maybe i can solve the last bit of it with that .
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-13-2006
mkoenig's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Indiana
Posts: 207
I hope that does it for you. Since so many people seem to have the same problem, be sure to let us know how it works!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Still Vibrating ZWilson07 Drivetrain Tech 12 05-21-2010 06:07 AM
Truck wont stop vibrating redrangeradrian 4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech 6 04-15-2009 09:09 PM
Vibrating ranger_1999 Drivetrain Tech 6 11-10-2008 06:36 PM
Window openers vibrating when music playing Cooke15 General Ford Ranger Discussion 13 01-30-2008 09:27 AM
Vibrating with suspension lifts? fletch12518 Suspension Tech 26 12-27-2005 10:03 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:23 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.