add more lights? poll.. - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


New Ideas Have a new idea for your Ford Ranger? General discussion of new ideas for the Ford Ranger.

View Poll Results: How many lights?
#1 2 lights 8 12.31%
#2 4 lights 57 87.69%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 12-08-2009
Liftedgreen4x4's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: lorton,virginia
Posts: 447
add more lights? poll..

Do guys think i should add two more lights to the front end? Almost like an old school shane with 4 up front?
#1 Now
Name:  DSCF1465.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  162.3 KB

#2 Four lights.
Name:  fourlights.jpg
Views: 2
Size:  123.4 KB
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-08-2009
BOBO's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mundelein, ill
Posts: 416
i say 4 but im a little partial...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-09-2009
Ford04Ranger4.0's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Plattsburgh, New York
Posts: 3,390
I'd say 4, I had 2 but then I made the bar and put 4. Dont regret it at all. Just double relay the lights to one switch and you'll be all set...
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-09-2009
wellcom2knoxvile's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Corvallis, OR/Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,390
you need 4!! 2 aimed in the middle and 2 aimed outwards towards the sides.. makes for a nice even area of light
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-09-2009
edgeman4.0's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: All Over
Posts: 1,475
i vote option 3... 4 on the bumper, and 4 across the roof.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-09-2009
Machine090767's Avatar
RF Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 6,410
four
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-09-2009
Bird76Mojo's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Central, IL.
Posts: 1,264
My vote




GB
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-09-2009
camodown's Avatar
Lost in Nowhere
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Midland, TX
Posts: 5,029
go for the gusto and put 6 up there
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-09-2009
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: iowa
Posts: 67
4 lights defiantly

Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-09-2009
Ngabr1's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: CT
Posts: 483
four fo sure
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-09-2009
rangercrazy07's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 758
4!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-03-2010
Scrambler82's Avatar
Old Guy Userů ltr
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 6,780
Next Option - 6 Lights
2 - 6” Rd - Long Ranger in the center on top of the bumper
2 - 6” Rd - Flood or Driving Lights on the outside on top of the bumper
2 Fog Lights under the bumper along side of the Plate - can be 6” round or rectangular.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-03-2010
herm59's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Toms River, NJ
Posts: 1,694
I say 4 on the front


And I say 4 up top
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-03-2010
Lord Of War's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Thornton, Colorado
Posts: 4,599
On your truck I say 4. It will look really good.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-03-2010
dangelj316's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Yuma, AZ
Posts: 813
4 on a bar.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-03-2010
btm757's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Norfolk / Chesapeake, VA
Posts: 3,980
I say 4
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-03-2010
Original_ranger84's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Homer, Ak
Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgeman4.0 View Post
i vote option 3... 4 on the bumper, and 4 across the roof.
I agree. I am currently going with option 3 right now actually. just looking for a bigger alternator.

But I think 4 just looks so much better then 2 spaced out ones...
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-03-2010
fordlife's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Lemoore CA/561, Fl
Posts: 773
do 4 its awesome
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-03-2010
--weezl--'s Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Calgary AB, Canada
Posts: 3,139
4, but space the 2 you already have, wider... they are too crowded with how you have them p-shoped in that pic...
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-03-2010
herm59's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Toms River, NJ
Posts: 1,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Original_ranger84 View Post
I agree. I am currently going with option 3 right now actually. just looking for a bigger alternator.

But I think 4 just looks so much better then 2 spaced out ones...

I'm currently running the stock alternator (130 amp) and haven't seen any real problems. How often are you actually going to be running all the lights anyway. With the stock headlights and fog lights, I have over 1100 watts of lights. I've only seen the volts drop below 13volts when I was off-roading and not driving at highway speeds.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 01-04-2010
Original_ranger84's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Homer, Ak
Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by herm59 View Post
I'm currently running the stock alternator (130 amp) and haven't seen any real problems. How often are you actually going to be running all the lights anyway. With the stock headlights and fog lights, I have over 1100 watts of lights. I've only seen the volts drop below 13volts when I was off-roading and not driving at highway speeds.
Ahhh... see you have the factory upgraded alternator mines only 95 amps and its pushing it with the 4 I have mounted up right now... I got 460w in lights right now, going to add another 400w, thats just off road lights. Not to mention the regular lights which I plan on hooking in a relay to run both high and lows when the highs are on (for when I keep my other lights off) and my system thats always on. In the winter, it gets dark fast enough to where they are on pretty much alsong as I'm behind the wheel.

My 95 amp alternator is just barely doing the job. I notice a power and mileage loss when my lights are on vs when i have just the factory lights on. So I'm going to go junkyard shopping for a 130amp soon. I should also mention that my battery is the factory original and is due to be replaced aswell, Red top (or yellow top if i can find one) optima here I come!

And I kinda like them close together but I also got rectangular lights.
Heres my setup on my new truck.

Those are going on top as soon as I get a rack made for them, then 4 57 series all season lights are going on right there...
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-04-2010
--weezl--'s Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Calgary AB, Canada
Posts: 3,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Original_ranger84 View Post
Ahhh... see you have the factory upgraded alternator mines only 95 amps and its pushing it with the 4 I have mounted up right now... I got 460w in lights right now, going to add another 400w, thats just off road lights. Not to mention the regular lights which I plan on hooking in a relay to run both high and lows when the highs are on (for when I keep my other lights off) and my system thats always on. In the winter, it gets dark fast enough to where they are on pretty much alsong as I'm behind the wheel.

My 95 amp alternator is just barely doing the job. I notice a power and mileage loss when my lights are on vs when i have just the factory lights on. So I'm going to go junkyard shopping for a 130amp soon. I should also mention that my battery is the factory original and is due to be replaced aswell, Red top (or yellow top if i can find one) optima here I come!

And I kinda like them close together but I also got rectangular lights.
Heres my setup on my new truck.

Those are going on top as soon as I get a rack made for them, then 4 57 series all season lights are going on right there...
those look good, there is enough space between them... the p-shopped pic, almost looked like the lights were touching IMO...

DO NOT put that relay in, for low and hibeams! you will burn out lights like crazy! head light bulbs aren't designed to take the extra heat of both filiments on for extended periods of times, both the glass globe, and the filiments themselves... not that they will burn out instantly or anything, but i bet you, if you put 2 bulbs to the test, one with both filiments on, and 1 with just the high, you would get 1/4 the life out of the one with both, if that... the other thing you MAY have issues with, is your ground to the headlight, it is designed for one filiment, the second for extended periods of time MAY over heat the wiring...

true the headlights were designed for this use, as if you pull your turn signal lever towards the sw, they both turn on, but this is designed for a "flash" use, not periods longer than maybe 2 seconds...
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-04-2010
Original_ranger84's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Homer, Ak
Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by --weezl-- View Post
those look good, there is enough space between them... the p-shopped pic, almost looked like the lights were touching IMO...

DO NOT put that relay in, for low and hibeams! you will burn out lights like crazy! head light bulbs aren't designed to take the extra heat of both filiments on for extended periods of times, both the glass globe, and the filiments themselves... not that they will burn out instantly or anything, but i bet you, if you put 2 bulbs to the test, one with both filiments on, and 1 with just the high, you would get 1/4 the life out of the one with both, if that... the other thing you MAY have issues with, is your ground to the headlight, it is designed for one filiment, the second for extended periods of time MAY over heat the wiring...

true the headlights were designed for this use, as if you pull your turn signal lever towards the sw, they both turn on, but this is designed for a "flash" use, not periods longer than maybe 2 seconds...
... ok so heres my other thought... lol

Well I have the relay system hook up on my old 84'. Been running the lights like that for 3 years now without a problem and it helps out sooooooo much i don't even need the auxilary lights. But Thinking about it it may not be the best Idea on my nice Silverstars I saw some bulbs at Napa that melted and bubbled out from being too hot. Maybe I'll just do the direct power from the battery relay setup...
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-04-2010
--weezl--'s Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Calgary AB, Canada
Posts: 3,139
if you haven't had a problem with it, then give-er...

not entirely sure what the direct power from the battery relay setup is... but i don't think it's much different than stock, it is just a newer setup, that doesn't run through the fuse box... i don't think it would help much, if it is what i think it is...
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-04-2010
Original_ranger84's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Homer, Ak
Posts: 85
Its basically replacing the thin factory wiring with heavy duty wiring that goes directly from the battery to the lights and is relayed from the high beam circuit so that the lights get maximum voltage and power to the light possible. The light will only suck up as much as it can handle so its no issue of how big of wire you use and the factory wire should be sufficent but it gets old and has to run through alot more wire. Plus not to mention the load relief on the light switch will help it last longer.

I Think it should help a good bit... Not sure where I got this but awhile ago I was reading about lighting. and was surprised that even the smallest amount in voltage drop in the lights can affect the light output and life pretty drasticly...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale: Various items - AK (Will add more as I find stuff) Red_Ak_Ranger Interior, Exterior, Electrical, & Misc. 19 06-03-2012 05:07 AM
add amber lights that flash faster and opposite hazards 2004edge General Ford Ranger Discussion 2 05-05-2008 01:34 PM
Poll: What to do with my headlights/corner lights RangerJustin Exterior Semi-Tech 20 12-19-2007 03:39 PM
Custom Prerunner Bumper and lights poll Alon Exterior Semi-Tech 11 07-12-2004 12:36 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:27 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.